Log In Sign Up

The birth of Audrina Faye

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 8,323
This is taken from my blog...

My little angel is here She arrived on October 10th at 4:54am, weighing 5lbs 5oz!

Here's how it all happened:

On October 9th, after being diagnosed with IUGR and having yet another kidney stent placed, I went in for an induction. This was really the last thing that I wanted, but I actually felt at peace with the decision. I had gone into pregnancy dead-set on a natural birth with no interventions...but that totally changed with all the issues I had throughout my pregnancy. I went into the hospital that morning ready and excited to meet my little girl.

I had cervical gel placed at 9am. Was told to come back 6 hours later.

When we went back to the hospital for my check up after my first round of cervical gel, the doctor found that I wasn't dialated (despite having mild contractions since the first application). So he gave me a second round of gel and decided I should be admitted for the night (which I hadn't expected).

Once I was given a room, Daniel went home for a bit and I decided to stroll around the hospital for a while to get my contractions to stay consistant. Once Daniel got back to the hospital we watched some tv for a while and the nurses hooked me up to the monitors to see how baby and I were doing. At around 10pm, my nurse came back in to take me off the monitor. Right as she was removing one of the bands from my tummy, I felt a pop (Dan was lying on the bed with me and felt it too) and a lot of pain. I was like, "holy, that hurts, what is that baby doing in there?" I kind of thought it might be my water, but after waiting a few seconds, nothing came out, so I just figured that it was from the baby. Once I was fully off the monitors, I got up to go pee, and instead had a steady gush of fluids come out. I looked at the nurse and said, "holy! my water just broke!!"

My nurse encouraged me to try to get some rest, so Dan and I tried to get to sleep, but by 11:00 I was in so much pain that I had to get up and move around. I was shaking really badly and really uncomfortable, but breathing through my contractions was fine. The nurse encouraged me to go into the shower for a bit to help with the pain, so I did. It was only mildly effective. The nurse went to get me a birthing ball as well.

When she returned, and I was out of the shower and still in a lot of pain, she decided it might be a good idea to check my dilation. I was a 3-4 at that point. I don't remember what time it was, but I am pretty sure it was around 12:00am. She decided it would be a good time to move me from the maternity ward, over to L&D.

When we got to L&D (across the hall). Things got really crazy. I told the nurse right away that I wanted drugs, and for them to call the anesthesiologist to get my an epidural. They knew my original plan was to go med-free, but I made it clear that my original plan was out the window. If I felt this awful at 4cm, how was I going to manage getting to 10?! I was sure I had so much longer to go. All of my attempts to focus were frustrating and not working and I was freaking out.

By the time the anesthesiologist got there, it was around 2:30am I think. I was in a lot of pain so I didn't notice, but Dan later said that he looked really unimpressed to be there at 2am lol. It felt like forever for him to get out all his tools, prep me and get the epi done. Every contraction was awful and I was sure I was getting close to pushing. A couple of times my body tried to push and I really couldn't control it. Once the epi was in though, I felt like a new person.

As soon as the anesthesiologist left, the nurse checked my progress, and wouldn't you know, I was 10cm. Now that I think about it, I am shocked I went from a 3 or 4 to 10 in a matter of a couple hours!

Rather than get me to start pushing, the nurse decided I should wait about an hour just to let the baby move down some more.

I'm not sure on the timing after all of this, but I think I pushed for about an hour.

The pushing was a little frustrating, but Dan was SO encouraging. When the nurse showed him that she could see the head when I was pushing, he got really excited. That *really* helped me get through pushing. At first, I couldn't really feel if I was pushing effectively. I pushed on my side for a bit, then sitting up slightly in the bed. The nurse set up a mirror for me so I could see while I pushed and that was REALLY helpful. I could see that she had dark hair!

It was intimidating when the OB on call came in and they set up the massive tray of "tools." I was so scared that we'd need forceps or the vaccume or an episiotomy, and that really made me want to make sure I could get this baby out on my own. Luckily, Dr. Tynski is freaking awesome and really didn't interfere at all. He told me when I was pushing well and just watched quietly until it was time to catch her.

Daniel was so excited for me to have her and really gave me the strength I needed to keep pushing when it was getting tough. The feeling was really intense for the last couple of contractions before she came out, but once her head came out, the rest of her did almost immediately. Dan and I were both bawling. She was so beautiful and perfect. The nurse only took her away for a brief second to get her to cry and then put her right back on my belly, and that's where she stayed until I was ready to move to my room in maternity. She nursed within an hour of birth. I did have a tear that needed repairing, but I was totally focused on my baby

My birth experience in all was pretty awesome. I was up and moving around really quickly after the birth and felt great. Daniel is SO in love with her. He just can't get over how awesome she is
Thank-you Bokkechick for the beautiful siggy!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

Last edited by Urchin; May 30th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
October 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Mom to Girls
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
What a great story Rae! You progressed so quickly. And I'm glad that even though you didn't go with your original birth plan, you still enjoyed your birth experience!!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy
Reply With Quote
January 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations, she's precious!
i'm glad you had a good birth!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0