Log In Sign Up

Scott's birth story *added pics*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,917
Oct 14th-
Around 9:30pm or so I was having painful contractions and they were 3-5 mins apart. Our OB had been very clear that we shouldn’t wait a long time the next time I have good contractions because I was already 4cm dilated and 75% effaced and we live 30 minutes away from the hospital. So DH called his sister and we headed in as soon as she arrived. We got there no problem and were taken up to triage for observation. The nurse checked me and I was still about the same as I was at my last OB visit. They monitored my contractions and baby’s heart rate. I was in a lot of pain, really sharp stabbing pain. One of the nurses there was super rude. When she asked me what my pain was on a scale from 1-10 I said like 6 or 7, I can’t remember and she basically tells me that I am wrong, that it can’t hurt that badly…so I told her fine, like 3 or 4 whatever. She also said later “You don’t have a very high tolerance for pain do you?” She was also very pushy. At one point I felt something wet and watery on my legs and I told one of the nurses that I thought my water might have broken and I don’t know if she checked or not, but she told me that it hadn’t. Anyways, we ended up getting sent home because my contractions weren’t regular enough and my cervix wasn’t changing at all. So, we got home at like 1am. I got in the shower hoping to get some relief from the pain. I managed to sleep for a bit but then…
Oct 15th
I had these sharp stabbing pains that woke me up. When the baby moved it felt like he was going to rip out of my body. I ended up burying my head in a pillow and screaming. DH didn’t even ask, he just told his sister we were leaving again, picked me up and carried me to the car. The ride back to the hospital was so painful. Every bump-even when DH changed lanes and ran over the reflectors- hurt so bad. This time I was not shy about how much it hurt, although the people escorting us upstairs still moved slower than molasses. SO I got up there and one of the nurses was the rude one from earlier, but there was also a new nurse and she was super nice. I can’t remember the exact order of events, but I do know that at one point they took my temp and the nurse overheard my husband saying that I have never acted like this before. So she stopped and looked at my contraction monitor and asked me if I felt like I was having a contraction at that moment and I said yes…it’s like they are never really stopping. She realized something else was up because the monitor was not picking up those contractions. IT was really strange. Anyways, so they admitted me, more because of the pain and the fact that I had a fever than anything else. The doctor mentioned something about infection of the bag of waters being possible. She said that while that usually happens with patients whose water has been broken for a while, it is possible to have it with intact membranes. That totally freaked me and DH out and we were instantly concerned about baby, but his heart rate was strong throughout the whole examination and admission.
They ended up given me fentanyl for the pain because I was not in active labor. After what felt like forever, they did give me the epi that I had wanted and it helped a lot, but it didn’t eliminate the pain. I could still feel some on the lower abdomen and everything in the upper part of my uterus. It scared me though because all I could think was “if it hurts this bad with the epi, what would it feel like without it?”
After being on pitocin and the epi for a while I eventually made it to 100% effaced and 6cm. The doc was pretty happy about it and decided that now would be a good time to break the water. So, she got all set up to do so and turns out she couldn’t find one. Yep, my water was already broken and we have no idea how long it had been that way. So, the doc pretty much confirmed that I had this thing called Chorioamnionitis and that was why I was in so much pain. Think appendicitis except instead of just swelling and hurting and giving you a fever, you have a person moving around inside it and the organ is regularly contracting…yeah, I have never been in so much pain in my life. I was terrified for myself and my son not to mention I had no idea what pushing was going to feel like. They also told me that once he was born they would have to take him to NICU for observation for at least 6 hours to make sure that the infection in my uterus didn’t harm him. I would be allowed to hold him for a little bit but then he would have to go. DH decided to go with him. He called our Mom’s and they headed our way to stay with me so that I wouldn’t not be alone while he was with our son.
Again, after waiting for my cervix to do its thing, it was time to deliver. It didn’t hurt as much as I feared, but I was determined to get my son out of that infected stuff and safe into my arms, so I was not really paying attention to the pain I guess. There was a med student their assisting the doctor and he was the one who actually delivered my son. His face lit up when he saw the baby, it was this shining moment that I can remember mixed in with everything else. Anyways, his head felt huge! And I had to actually push out his shoulders! My last baby was 5lbs 11oz and this guy was 8lbs 10oz (and 21 ¼” long)!!! So big difference between the them Scott Anthony was born at 3:10pm .They laid him on my chest for less than 10 minutes and then took him to NICU. I was still in a lot of pain and it took them a long time to get the placenta out. At first I thought I must have torn or had skid marks that they were stitching up because I was laying their forever. Turns out I didn’t, so I am not sure what was taking them so long. They tried giving my Advil and vicoden for the pain, but it didn’t do a **** thing, so they ended up giving me a morphine drip and that finally helped. After I could stand and was not in so much pain, I got to see my son at about 7:30. He was healthy looking. DH had been doing skin to skin with him the entire time. The nurses were in love with our chubby boy-they called him a moose The NICU doc was really nice and DH really liked him and said that he really helped make the experience less scary. I got to feed him for the first time and that was wonderful. I think I sat there, hooked up to my morphine IV and just cried. I was so glad that he was doing well and on track for being with me in my room that night.His hair is short and blonde and his eyes are of course a deep blue. He looks a lot like his siblings...of course he is the biggest I have ever had by a pound! After he ate I had to go to my room where I waited for DH and baby to be brought in. They came around 10pm I think. I was really out of it but I know that I was so happy to see DH’s smiling face and to hold my son in my arms again. We never had any problems with his health at all. He is perfect. In fact, he got discharged on Monday morning after he had his rounds of IV antibiotics. I on the other hand did not get discharged…
Basically it was the same thing every day. IV antibiotics, maybe getting a new IV placed, spiking a fever in the evening and the middle of the night. The doctors couldn’t figure out why I was still feverish. Most ppl are out 48 hours later, but my fever wouldn’t go away. I ended up getting bilateral pleural effusions and had a hard time breathing deeply so of course we had to deal with that before I got pneumonia. Then I got a Chest, abdnominal and pelvic CT scan to make sure that there were no pulmonary embolisms, or other causes for a fever. Of course it was clean and we were no closer to an answer. The OB on call that night looked at my blood work as well and discovered that my white blood cell count was low and has been for years. He sat down and explained to us that while in labor, with no complications, no infection, that the WBC goes up and that given my situation he would expect to see a huge number there. Normal range is like 4-11…I was at 3.2 consistently for years. So he ordered a more detailed blood count and it came back at 2.0. So he was concerned and decided that it would be good for us to consult with a hematologist just to make sure that there was no underlying cause for what was going on.
Anyways, I had one night of not going over the 101.3 level so I got to go home the next day. Of course that night when I got home I had NO fever at all. We are now wondering if perhaps the IV antibiotics I was getting every day in the afternoon was what caused me to have the fever a few hours later. Of course there is no way to know for sure. It is also possible that I got the flu thing my kids had earlier in the week. All we do know is that my baby is healthy and safe at home. We do have to see the hematologist next week sometime to discuss my blood work and at this point DH is super paranoid about ppl being around me. Seriously, he wouldn’t let me go into the store because he is worried about how my immune system is weak. He is super sweet and while a little frustrating, I admire his desire to protect me.
Looking back, it was a very scary experience that was nothing like I expected it to be. I figured it would be simple normal and I’d be home by Monday morning for sure. I had no idea that the pain I was feeling meant that my son would be in NICU, even if only for a few hours. I had no idea that it would be so complicated. I am so grateful that we are both ok and that despite all that mess I am home taking care of my kids. I wish that I could have had a more pleasant experience, but I think that if I can focus on the happy memories I have been making since I came home, that week in the hospital being scared, not knowing what was happening and being cooped up in a hospital room without my kids can just kind of fade away…I would much rather think about how much my oldest son loves his baby brother and how my daughter is intrigued by him but still goes on her merry way and my middle boy…well, he cares but he cares more about playing with his other siblings
Sorry its so long, but a lot happened…it feels good to get most of it out too!!

Daddy holding his boy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by rebecca0217; November 3rd, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
January 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
i'm sorry you had all that trouble! glad your little guy was fine, and i hope you are, too- congratulations!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0