Welcome Riley Grace!!! (Extremely Long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Super Mommy
Riley Grace
Born 11-9-11 at 12:32 p.m.
6lbs 1 oz
19 inches

On November 8th, I went to my last scheduled OB appointment. I was so excited because I was two days away from my induction day of November 10th and it would all be over soon enough. I had asked the doctor a zillion questions and ended with “Will you strip my membranes?” Which is a procedure done in the office where the amniotic sac is separated from the wall of the uterus. This can sometimes (about 50% of the time) start labor by making the body release oxytocin and prostaglandins. The doctor said she didn’t want to do this because it would just make me more crampy and miserable and I needed to get a lot of rest for the induction on that Thursday. My doctor then began the cervical exam. I was still 2 cm and about 75% effaced. Not much of a difference from the week before. I was so disappointed. However, when she was done with checking my cervix she stripped my membranes. I didn’t know that is what she was doing at the time. But Lord, it hurt. I yelled and then apologized for being loud and laughed. I didn’t think to ask her what the hell she did to me. HA! When the appointment was over Brandon and I went out to talk with the nurses and schedule my next appointment, which was to be my postpartum visit. On my birthday. Oh joy. I was talking to the one nurse and told her I was really crampy and she said that the doctor stripped my membranes and described to me what it felt like. She was spot on. My doctor pulled a fast one on me.
So we left the doctor’s office and went home. I started to get more and more cramps all the way home. I told myself that I was just going to have cramps for the next day and a half and I would just have to deal with it. HA HA! So I get home and I decided I would take a nap. I laid down at about 4p.m to be woken up at about 6:30p.m with my belly in horrendous pain. And then it went away. 10 minutes later it was back. So I drug myself out of bed and got in the shower to see if that would make these pesky cramps go away. It didn’t. I got out of the shower and sat in the bathroom for a few minutes. I got a text message from my mom who was downstairs asking “you ok?”. To which I replied, “I don’t think so” I then heard footsteps come running up the stairs. She busted through the bathroom door to make sure I was okay and then wrapped me up and started asking questions. “Are they contractions?” Don’t know. “Are they close together and regular?” Don’t know. I told her it was probably nothing. I got dressed and went downstairs and sat in the rocking chair and started timing them. At about 9p.m. I ate a tuna fish sandwich and a snack size bag of chips. By this point I am surprised to see that there is some regularity to these “cramps.” They weren’t excruciating but oh so very, very uncomfortable. Mom asked me if I wanted to call the on call doctor. Nope. This is not labor. This conversation continues for the next 2 hours. By 11p.m. I woke Brandon up, called the on call doctor to tell her I had a lot of cramps that keep coming and going and they are pretty painful by now. “Go get checked” was her response. Now, GBMC is a good ½ hour to 45 minutes away from my house. So I was really hoping she would tell me to try and sleep and see the doctor tomorrow. Nope. Had to go to the hospital. Up until this point I refused to pack a hospital bag for myself because I figured I would just jinx my chances of going naturally. I had planned to pack my bag the next day. I didn’t make it.

So Brandon and my mom are running around like chickens with their heads cut off packing things as I am calling them out. Pillow, blanket, underwear, PJs, carseat, Base, etc. When all was packed and we were heading out the door, Brandon says, “we have to stop for gas on the way…” What the F#$%!!!!!???? I told him he was crazy and I would squeeze into the mustang with mom. And that is just what I did. She drove me and did about 75 the whole way there.

We finally get to the hospital and have to wait a few minutes to get checked out. The nurse comes in to hook me up to the monitors and sure enough those pesky “cramps” are really contractions. HA! Who knew. The nurse then explained that they were going to check me, if I was still at a 2 they would send me on a walk about for 2 hours. Check me again and see if I made and progress. But, if I was any more dilated from earlier they would probably keep me. She the nurse came in, did her checks and then blurted out “oh you’re at a 4!” I then asked if that meant I was staying…YUP! Yay. I didn’t have to be induced! I then asked about the epidural and when I could get it and if it runs out. I could get it whenever I wanted and no it did not wear off. I could have it until after I delivered and they would keep the meds going. Second piece of good news that night.

So we get into a room, which was wonderfully big by the way. Get me settled in and then the anesthesiologist comes in to do the epidural. Oh crap. I forgot I hate….HATE needles. Especially big ones that are going into my back. Luckily I had Brandon with me holding my hand and talking me through it. Let me just say, when the drugs began to take effect it was the best feeling every. When it was in full effect, I didn’t know I even had legs. I was so happy to be pain free I just laughed and smiled. By 2a.m. Brandon’s mom gets to the hospital and gets settled in. I tried to sleep but the excitement was too much. Around 4:30 or 5:00 I started to feel pain again. Dumb anesthesiologist did tell me I had to keep pushing the button. Jerk. So the next guy that was on duty hooked me up with some good pain relief in my epidural. He then showed me how and when to hit the button for my epidural. Thank goodness. At around 6 or so the nurse came in and said my doctor would be in around 8a.m. and they would start Pitocin around 7 and then break my waters when the doctor got there. Cool. Things were moving along quickly. I was about 6 cm. And that was after my labor had stalled for an hour with NO CONTRACTIONS. They started the Pitocin at 7 on the lowest dose. My doctor didn’t get there until 8:40a.m. or so. She broke my water and turned the Pitocin up to a two. About an hour and a half later they had to turn the Pitocin down and then an hour after that turn it all the way off. My contractions had gotten so close together and so strong it didn’t get me or the baby a rest. I had no clue I was even having contractions. (Thank you epidural guy!!!) They checked me again at around 10 or so and I was a stretchy 6 almost 7. Winning! I tried to sleep some more with no luck. Brandon on the other hand was out cold on the couch. Although he could sleep through a hurricane it’s funny to tell people he slept through my labor. I was the best patient. I didn’t scream, cry, get mean, or anything you see on the baby shows. I laughed. I smiled. I was joking around. At noon my doctor came over the check on me and see how much progress I had made since 9 when she was last there. She was on her lunch break and had no intentions of delivering me that quickly. So she checked and to mine and everyone else’s surprise (except Brandon who is still sleeping at this point) she tells me I am 100% and 10 cm.

Hold up. What? I am not ready. My joyful labor slipped out the door with my sanity. I fell silent. Tears built up and I got scared. The anesthesiologist came in to check my epidural and asked how I felt. I told him I had no pain but “Honestly Sir, I am scared ****less” in this tiny mouse-like voice. He smiled and told me it would all be ok. I think I was more afraid that I would feel pain than finally having Riley depending on me to take care of her outside the womb. My doctor had me do a few practice pushes to see how well I pushed and get an estimate of how long this would take. I pushed through one contraction and s flurry of activity started. The bed was broken down. The equipment brought over. And the doctor suited up. Brandon was awake by now. He had to be shook by his mom. Silly man. He is holding my right leg. His mom was behind him by my head. My mom was on my left somewhere and the nursing student had a hold of my other leg. Poor girl had to wear all white. Stupid nursing school regulations. The real pushing began. I had to be told when to push because I had no feeling what-so-ever. Which was nice. I was asked if I wanted the mirror. I decided beforehand that I did not need to see what was going on down there. I don’t like the sight of my own blood. Curiosity got the best of me and there were shiny reflective lights up top and I could see my reflection in them and watched for a few seconds. But when I was pushing it was eyes closed. I had some pretty bad chest pains and said something out loud to the doctor between pushes. Everything stopped. This is what we didn’t want. I reassured everyone it was from holding my breath and pushing at the same time. Pushing resumed. Out came Riley’s head. Contrary to what the ultrasound showed earlier in the evening she was no longer sunny side up. She had rotated like a good girl. After her head came out I was told not to push. They suctioned her mouth out and then asked me if I wanted her on my belly. I said yes. Next round of pushing and her arm came flopping out. Next arm out. And then whoosh! She was out. She was awake and alert. I started crying. I had tunnel vision. I couldn’t see what anyone else in the room was doing except her. She just looked around. She didn’t cry. She stared with these huge wide eyes. It was amazing. Brandon cut the cord. Which was awesome as well. I was afraid he wasn’t going to want to. But he jumped right up there and took hold of those scissors and did it like a pro. They took Riley to the warmer to get her cleaned up and mom jumped back on skype with dad to tell him Riley was finally here. By this time Riley is one angry baby and is screaming! I mean, this girl has a set of lungs.

It took 10 months to grow this beautiful little child and about 6 minutes to bring her into this world. It was amazing. If only it could have all been this easy. When Riley was finally cleaned up and hand/footprints taken she was brought over so I could hold her. I told them to give her to Brandon as I was still being stitched up from my DOUBLE episiotomy. That sucked. But I was so high on hormones and emotions I didn’t care. I gave that epidural button one last good push and closed my eyes.

November 22nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awwwwww she is beyond precious and sounds like you went quick! What a great experience!

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

November 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
It most def was a wonderful experience!!!
November 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I loved reading every inch of this! Congratulations!!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
she's so precious! congratulations!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search