Log In Sign Up

The birth of Owen Lucas~11.11.11

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 890
Send a message via AIM to Lilysmama
I had hoped and planned during my whole pregnancy for a VBAC. I had an emergency cesarean with my daughter Lily because of fetal distress. My doctor was completely VBAC supportive so I really hoped it would happen. My due date was November 20th and by 38 weeks I was downright miserable. At my weekly appointment on November 7th I told my doctor that I still wanted to try for a VBAC but I was going to go ahead and schedule a repeat c-section for the day after my due date, the 21st. This was after numerous nights of no sleep and just being in so much pain. I went home, discouraged, and feeling like this baby just would not come on his own. And I would be pregnant until the 21st.
On Thursday, November 10th I took Lily to preschool at 9am. I came home and suddenly felt the urge to do a bunch of things I had been putting off even though I was extremely exhausted. I packed the baby’s hospital bag, packed more stuff into mine, I finished writing thank you cards from my baby shower and went and mailed them off. I sterilized all of my breast pump stuff, breast milk storage bottles and bottles, and I washed the last load of baby laundry. I went to pick up Lily at 1:00pm and we came home and we both laid down for a nap at about 2pm.
Sometime between 2:30 and 3:00 I woke up to pee and noticed my underwear felt really wet. I went to the bathroom and when I wiped there was an abundance of what I thought was watery discharge. I changed my underwear and then laid back down. I kept waking up every 20 min or so feeling more and more wet. I kept going to the bathroom and it was the same thing each time. Finally I couldn’t take the gross feeling anymore and got up about 3:45. DH had just gotten home from work and I went and told him I think I could possibly be leaking amniotic fluid but I wasn’t sure. I told him it could be discharge but I have never had that much discharge ever. He convinced me to call the doctor. I called and left a message for the nurse and she finally called back at 4:50pm. Since the office was about to close they told me to go to L&D to get checked. I totally did NOT want to go, because I was afraid I was wrong and would be embarrassed and sent home.
I pretty much convinced myself I was wrong, because I didn’t want to get my hopes up and be sent home with no baby. I told DH to stay at home with DD and my sister would meet me at L&D. I didn’t pack anything up or do anything. I hadn’t eaten dinner yet or showered that day. Ugh. So I get to L&D about 5:30 and they get me to a room, in a gown and start monitoring the baby. After what seemed like forever they finally did the swab test to see if my water was broken. The swab immediately turned blue and the nurse said “You’re not crazy…your water is broken!” I was like holy crap! After that it was a frenzy of chaos. I called DH and had to give him lists of what to pack and bring. Meanwhile I was giving my sister lists of what she needed to get from my house for Lily since she would be watching her. The nurses called my doctor who was on call that night. She came in and basically told me since I have had a previous cesarean she could not do anything to augment labor, so my options were to either have a c-section at 9pm that night, or she would give me until 4am to see if I am reasonably progressed by then. At that point I was not having contractions at all. I chose to wait until 4am.
So, from that point on I would walk the halls for an hour and then be monitored for 20 minutes. We did this until about 1am. Contractions started up about 6:30pm but were not super strong. We decided to get some sleep, and the nurse gave me IV pain meds so I could sleep through the contractions. At 4am the nurse came in to check me and I was 3cm. When I came in I was 2cm. So they called my doc and she suggested we do a c-section. They started prepping me for a c-section and brought me into the OR at 5:00am. They did a spinal block and got everything set up. The doctor came in and started cutting me open and then shortly after they let DH come in. He came and sat next to me and held my hand. After what felt like forever they told me I would feel lots of pressure and pulling and tugging. Owen’s head was still really high up so they had to push on my belly really hard to get him out. This part was pretty painful even though I was numb. I squeezed DH’s hand and finally they pulled him out. He cried immediately and held him up so I could see him. I was flooded with emotion and started crying. DH said that he looked just like DD and he went over to the warmer to be with him while they cleaned him up. DH stayed with Owen as they took him to the nursery while I was finished being stitched up. They brought him to me within 10 minutes of being in recovery and he latched right on and nursed for an hour straight. It was amazing and my little boy is just perfect.

Owen Lucas was born on 11/11/11 at 5:34am weighing 7lbs 6oz and 19.5 inches long.

Even though I hoped for VBAC, I am happy with the outcome. My recovery has been so much easier this time and everything went great. I have an adorable, healthy baby boy, so I am happy!

~Beth~ Mommy to Lily (6.8.08) and Owen (11.11.11)

Reply With Quote
November 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,398
Aww he's precious!! I'm sorry you didn't get quite the experience you wanted, but in the end, it's clearly all worth it no matter what happens. Congratulations!!
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2011, 05:55 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
i'm sorry you didn't get the vbac, but i'm glad you got an adorable healthy boy. congrats!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 11,668
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Congratulations Beth! <3 He's precious! LOVE YOU!
I'm Maria!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007.
Mama to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and Adeline.
Human to Jeyne the Redbone Coonhound.

<3 Autism Advocate <3 Babywearer <3 Blogger <3 Nerd <3 Bookworm <3
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0