ZoŽ Arianna's journey into the world!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went into the hospital at 5 am on November 26th (a day before her due date) to be induced. I was excited that for the first time ever I was going in already dilated and effaced (3.5 and 70%) and I had already lost my mucus plug. I was already having light contractions when I went in and didn't even know it until they started showing up on the monitor. I soon started feeling them. They started the petocin about 6am and when I went to the bathroom a couple of hours later I was already having blood when I wiped. Every time they checked me throughout the entire labor my cervix was further dilated. My doctor came and broke my water a little after 10am. She noticed that I had meconium (the black tar like poop babies have when first born) staining of my water, the baby had apparently had a bowel movement recently in the water and they arranged for a pediatrician to be present at the birth to tend to the baby in case she would breathe any of it in.

The nurses were concerned that when I was having contractions that ZoŽ's heart rate was dropping, so they kept having me change positions to try and fix it, but nothing really worked.

I was given my epidural shortly after my water was broken and this anesthesiologist did a much better job than last time and got it in the first time and I didn't feel any of my contractions after that. Unfortunately, the epidural made my blood pressure drop to 50/38 and I became nauseous and sleepy...my husband said I fell asleep for like 5 minutes and I never even realized it. They gave me meds to raise my bp and it ended up going through the roof.

I progressed and when I was fully dilated and effaced they called the pediatrician who was in the hospital and told them to come down in 10 minutes (the amount of time it would take my OB to drive there from her house). They called my OB's mom's house on accident, but then called the correct # and my doctor came in and then we had to wait for the pediatrician to get there. Finally everyone that needed to be present was and I was able to push. I pushed for about 10 minutes and our little girl was here. She had the cord wrapped around her neck so my doctor got it off of her and passed her to the pediatric nurse and pediatrician to work on her for the meconium exposure.

Then my doctor turned back to me and found that the umbilical cord had broken away from the placenta and that the placenta was still inside of me and was in the highest spot in my uterus that it could be. She quickly worked to try and retrieve it, but was only getting pieces of it. She had her hands up almost to her shoulders inside me. They called to arrange for an emergency D&C to get the rest of the placenta out, but my doctor was eventually able to get it all out and I didn't need the D&C.

The pediatric staff didn't like the way ZoŽ was looking and wanted to take her to the nursery to get checked out, but they did let me hold her for a couple of minutes. So I was left to recover without ZoŽ, they later came back and informed me that they had to put her on oxygen because she had aspirated the meconium and was only getting 80% oxygen saturation on her own. I ended up getting moved upstairs, while my baby had to stay in the downstairs nursery that is used for babies that need more specialized care. My husband and I were allowed to go in and visit with baby ZoŽ, but nobody else was allowed in. They wanted to also put her on an IV, but any time they got a vein it would close up on them. My baby looked like a little junkie with all the bruises all over her arms and legs. The only vein that they had left to try was the one in her skull and none of the nursing staff wanted that so they let me come in and nurse her and pump milk for her. They were worried about pneumonia setting in to her lungs. And the next morning when I was in there they told me the fact that she wouldn't let go of the oxygen was suspicious of pneumonia and I started crying in there, as they had already said that would mean her staying there for 7 days and me being discharged without her.

She ended up being taken completely off of the oxygen @ 3pm on Sunday and we were able to take her to our room at about 6 that evening. The special pediatrician came and talked to us on Monday and said that contrary to what the other nurses told us, ZoŽ did not aspirate the meconium, but was just exposed to it and could have breathed in a little of it which caused her needing the oxygen, but that she looked great now. So after being off the oxygen for 24 hours, we were discharged at 3 on Monday. ZoŽ has since been to her pediatrician and the follow-up appointment with the hospital and has passed with flying colors...in fact the hospital said they wished all the babies came back in looking as good as her.

ZoŽ Arianna was born @ 1:50 on November 26th. She weighed 6lbs, 2 oz and was 17 inches long.

Here is one of her hospital pics

December 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Loving Kate
She's beautiful! I'm glad she's okay. I'm a part of the April DDC just lurking and dreaming about my own baby girl

Thank you .:ShortCake:. for my siggy!
January 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
that's a great picture; she's so cute!
congratulations! i'm glad everything ended up okay.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

April 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
so precious!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search