Birth of Christian Mikael

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hoping for baby #2
11/30/11 I woke up at 11:30 am and headed to my OB appt at 39.2 weeks. I was counting on an induction to be schedule since I have college exams next week. The doctor checks me around 1pm and I had 0 effacement and 0 dilation but my cervix was ripe so he scheduled my appointment for the 7th and then we could discuss induction. After my appt I headed to work and worked a 6 hour shift. After work I headed to my parents house 45 min from the hospital for a family dinner and plans to set up our Christmas tree. I arrived at my parents house at 8:30 and ate 2 bowls of dads chili (it was amazing). I washed my bowl in the sink and opened the dishwasher and felt a gush. My immediate response verbally was " oh **** I think my water just broke". My mom was like " um no it didn't" and I am waddling to the bathroom with my legs crossed so I don't ruin her carpet. I sit down on the toilet to assess the situation and my mom peaks in and she's like "OMG it really did break" as if I hadn't figured that out already lol. Fortunately my mom dad and two sisters where all in one place so I didn't have to track them down so I called the doc told them I was on my way, and the babies father. I arrived at the hospital at about 9:30 pm and was sent up to L&D. They confirmed my water had broke, as if the towel between my legs wasn't obvious enough . They set me up on the monitor and I was not contracting at all (first time in 3 weeks). The Ob on call wanted to start pitocin so they hooked me up to an IV and blew a valve in my hand so they stuck me in the wrist. For future reference I will NOT allow that to ever happen again. I labored comfortable till around 4:30am and I was checked and at 2cms with Pitocin on 14. The doc and I both agreed to go ahead and get the Epi and they could further augment labor. I was incredibly nervous about the Epi but the nurse was extra supportive and honestly I didn't really feel it. It took about 15 minutes to kick in and I was in heaven. I rested but I was too wired to sleep. They put in the catheter and attempted to put in another internal monitor to estimate the pain of my contractions. She tried about 5 minutes to put in the monitor and it ticked the baby off so I was placed on oxygen to elevate his heart rate and my pitocin was backed down to 2. I was resting and when I was rechecked I was at 4. I started noticing a small pain in my right side above my hip. It was really uncomfortable (my pit is about 10-12 again) and it gradually got stronger. My epi had stopped working! I had to breathe through my contractions for about an hour waiting for the anistesiologist to finish a c-section. Finally she came in and flushed the line and in about 10 minutes I felt even better than before. I was now at 6. I hit transition around noon. I could feel the baby descending in the birth canal and at first it was just pressure. Due to my dislocated hip his descention was angled wrong and his head was pressing into my hip. With the full epi I just broke into tears. This was not a pain that could breathe through it was just a never ending pain that just kept getting worse. At this point I was seriously contemplating for asking for a c-section because I knew he would never fit. I was checked and I was at 9. I also at this point had the urge to push. Even though the nurse told me not to I did some practice pushes and realized as long as I was pushing the pressure in my hip was relieved. I can't describe the urge to push. It wasn't exactly painful, it was painful to not push. I think the epi stopped the pain from the contraction itself but the urge just grew and grew and I could do nothing but give it my all. I started pushing at 2:01pm and was having about 5 pushes per contraction. It took a bit to find the best position for me and a lot of coaching on exactly how to push. About 30 minutes into pushing he was finally straightened out. About 2 pushes later head was crowning and the nurse asked me to stop to get the OB team and NICU team to assess the baby. I really could not stop pushing so I continued with baby pushes while she was out of the room. Doctor came in and you could tell her tone was a bit frantic because this baby was on his way and she was not suited up and the room was not ready. I could hear about 7 docs and nurses shuffling quickly around me but all I could do was push. 3:01pm Christian Mikael came into the world and was placed on my chest but was not crying. They told me they where not going to stimulate him to cry until they could clear his airway of merconium but I was still scared. They immediately took him and assessed him from the warmer in the room and slowly but surely he started to cry. They brought him back and introduced him to me for about a minute and then took him to the nursery to do further assessments, and give the doc time to finish me up. The doc delivered the placenta and then began stitching me up. Turns out she did an episiotomy at some point which irritates me considering I had no epi but at least she didn't say anything to blow my concentration. I didn't ask to what degree because at that point all I could feel was the pain of her stitching me up. I asked for a pain killer and since the lidocane did not work they gave me a percaset. I had lots of swelling in my lady parts and could not pee post partum so they cathed me and then moved me to the post partum wing in the hospital. After about an hour nap I was given the chance to breastfeed and meet my son. They told me finally that he was 8lbs 1oz and 21.5 inches long. He is incredible and I can't imagine loving him any more than I do already. Nursing has been rocky but we have made a lot of progress. He has nursing down pact on my right side but is a lazy frustrated nurser on the left. He has to retake his hearing test tomorrow since he did not pass today but his lungs and breathing sound great and I am fairly confident that we will no longer have to be monitored by the NICU. I will post more pictures when I get home from the hospital.

December 2nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
MammaHutch
Sounds like you went through alot Mamma. But in the end everything seemed to be ok. Thank you for sharing your story and I am glad that your precious baby is doing well. I cant wait to see pictures!
December 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
AprilJanellieBellie's Avatar Keepin Busy
Amazing a story. Sorry you had such a rough time. I'm glad you & baby are healthy.

December 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Thank you for sharing your story so quickly!! You did great, congrats! <3

December 3rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Julka
Great story! I hope he passes the second hearing test and BFing gets easier for you
December 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
I love my family!!!
What a story!!! Glad things are looking up for the both of you!
December 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like your birth was a rough one, but glad everyone is doing well now.

December 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Fiddlist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

December 6th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks for sharing! I love that "oh **** my water just broke!" LOL!

December 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry that he gave you a bit of a scare at first, but thrilled that you are both doing well. Thanks for sharing your story!

December 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations!

and yeah, i HATE the hand/wrist IVs. :-(
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

December 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had kind of a rough delivering but i'm glad you and him are doing well!! Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search