Whitneys birth story - long

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
Okay so here's my birth story of Whitney

We arrived at the hospital and go to register. The triage nurse asked me, "so what brings you to triage this afternoon".. I said Im here for my c section at 2. She said I dont think so, and looked through her paper work. She at first couldnt find my papers, but then realized they had already moved them over for next in line for schedueled c section. So phew I was a bit worried they were going to send me home. And the worst part was, I had already planned that we would stop on the second floor so I could get my ice cap since I hadnt eaten anything since midnight.

We got registered and sent to sit in the waiting room. We sat for a good hour before someone came and got us and took us to the revovery section. They got me to undress and take everything off.. gave me my gown and told me to hop into the bed. then I had 4 ppl come and do questions and history. I then got my first IV of many, and they botched it. Then on the second attempt they got it, but it soon clotted. they did blood work and called the anathesiologist team to come and get my IV in. She got it in in seconds and then gave me antacids through the IV. But cody wasnt listening and he saw this HUGE needle as she was preparing the meds and i told him that was to go into my butt cheek. And Cody turned a whole new level of white.. The doc laughed and said no it goes into her IV. I was having too much fun messing with Cody. Then the lady who had her c section came out and they cleaned the OR room and they took me to the next OR to get my surgery going.

So as I walked in one doc put the operating table down and it made this huge weird noise. No one thought anything of it. They made me hop onto the table and they started looking at my back for putting in a spinal. Well within a few minutes the doc tried to move the table up and it wouldnt go up. They realized the noise they heard was it breaking as I was walking into the OR. So they moved me out of the OR after calling a whole bunch of places trying to find a new operating room bed. They were going to move me from c section operating room down to the other surgery department but then found a bed that was in working order. (They realized after when they lowered the bed, they caught the hydrolics hose in it and it pinched it making it not be able to go up or down).
So they sent me back across the hall to the recovery room. I was walking around the curtain and I see cody all dressed up in his hospital scrubs (he looked so cute lol) and i told him there wasnt a baby in there so no surgery today. he didnt find it funny and was like whats going on. (i had already been gone for 45 minutes). Then within a few minutes they called me back. But while we were waiting a nurse came and asked if a university student who was becoming a nurse could scrub in to watch her first c section. i said why not, she needed to learn right.

So I am now in the new operating room with the working bed. And they first lay me down to put in a few more IVs and an ART line. As they do the art line in my wrist I feel blood pooring out of my arm but I dont look over because I knew if i saw how much blood was gushing out of my wrist I would have passed out. So I looked in the other direction focusing on meeting my baby and wondering if Travis was going to be like his brothers. LOL.. I was that certain it was a boy. Then they get all 4 IVs in and they sit me up. They turn me and start to do an spinal and epidural on my back. Because my bones are very tight in my back and the space is much smaller for the epidural they had to use an ultrasound machine to find the spot in my back. After 30 minutes or so they got the spinal and epidural in. i felt the warm sensation start in my toes and rush up my legs. it was a good feeling because I knew that ment my baby would be here soon.

So quickly after the spinal was administered they got me onto my back. They did the catheder and then the ice cube test. They ran an ice cube up from my toes to my chest and i couldnt feel anything up to my collar bone. They set up the blue clothes and my ob came in and started the first incision. They called for cody. (oh the reason I had to have a spinal and epidural was because they wanted tons of time for the c section so they didnt want to rush. the spinal only lasts so long where as with the epidural they can top it up repeatidly until it was done).

so they called cody in and i see him look over the blue curtains as he is walking in. I told him dont look because I know from calebs section he almost passed out when he saw my incision. so he sat down and within seconds we heard a HUGE splash. Cody asked me what that was. I said it was my water. he looked down on the floor and is aid no dont look. I didnt want him to pass out. I needed him to be alert lol. And then within seconds again we heard a second huge splash. then we hear my ob say "dad stand up" cody stands up and looks over and gets to say its a girl! I was so shocked and happy. I couldnt believe it.

My first thought and aprently I said it outloud as everyone laughed "yes! emma has her sister". Then they quickly showed me her and she was beautiful. And she looked identical to what emma looked like.

then like that she and half the room were gone. They were working on her in the other room. and then starts the stitching up. My ob say over the curtain. "im putting in a zipper for the next time".. we laughed and said uh nope this is the last one.

then we hear the nurse say that they are missing a sponge. I hear my ob say well ive already finished stitching the uterus. I feel the looking up all inside me now.. like up to my ribs. I am now starting to feel everything nd its hurting badly. i start telling cody its hurting and hes like well its just a few more minuts so i say it louder for the anathesiologist and he tops up the epidural immediately and within a few minutes im back to frozen. But boy did it suck feeling them in there. Then they bring Whitney and give her to cody. and i see him fall in love all over again. So I whispered to him, so you really wanted a boy eh.. and he shook his head no.. and he couldnt stop looking at his daughter. Then the nurse comes in from where the nicu was checking whitney out and said they found the sponge so they are done looking inside me. Then i hear my ob say.. "did i just knick her bowels" and im like UHHHHHHH *** in my head. and then i hear him say oh no nevermind we are okay. we were then told how much whitney weighed.. 11lbs 14oz 19 3/4inches long and was born at 3:33pm.

so im finished getting stitched up over them talking about where they are going to eat later.. and what steakhouse they are planning on trying. it was interesting lol.

then we get moved over to recovery. I get to hold her for a bit. But the nurse keeps coming and taking her because shes making weird breathing noises. we found out during the second splash of waters she had inhaled quite a bit of fluid and was having a hard time getting it out. so the nicu took her for a few minutes and returned her. This happened 3 times in recovery and each time she came back. so i got to breastfeed her and we were hoping her siblings would get to meet her but they couldnt. So cody went home with them at 6 and my mom was coming back shortly after. so i got about an hour of time with whitney but i kept dozing so the nurse took her from me and put her in the isolet beside me. I was pissed because i wanted to hold her.

so i got moved to my room and my mom and dad had shown up now. My dad couldnt stay cuz he was parking in a no park zone and so he just said a quick hi and bye. and my mom and i chatted for a bit, held whitney and was waiting till midnight to go to sleep. however the nurse came and took whitney to be assessed by the nicu because her sugars were to low. she was going into a hypoglycemic episode so the nicu team took her down to the nicu. By 1 am im restless and missing whitney. so i buzzed my nurse. I say can i go see my baby as soon as i can walk. shes like yes you can. I said okay i am ready to walk. She said are you sure. if you can walk to the washroom and let me clean you up then you can go. so i walked.. i was a bit unsteady but i was determined to walk. It was painful but i was going to see my baby. I was then wheeled down to see her after being cleaned up. She was so pretty.

by 1:45 am i was back in my room. And i was in some SERIOUS pain. I got into my bed and tried to sleep beside my mom who was already sleeping. I tried to sleep but woke up crying out in pain.. my mom woke up and buzzed my nurse because I was bawling my eyes out. The nurse came in and called the resident immediately. The resident came very fast and she asked me a whole bunch of questions. She then pressed on my stomach and I just about flipped out of the bed. I was in serious pain. They had tog ive me 2 shots of morphine in my arm to get me to be able to sit in a wheelchair to go get xrays. they were thinking of 3 possibilities. 1) i was bleeding internally from my uterus 2) i had sepsis (from the possible bowel nick) and 3) really bad gas pains. I was hoping for bad gas pains but i had never experiened such pain before after a c section.
so after getting xrays done and i feel so bad for the ppl doing my xray. I was in so much pain for moving and whatnot. i swore not at them but in general and kept appologizing. i get back up to my room and a bit of time goes by its now 5 am and we learned it was just horrible gas pains from when they were searching for the sponge alot of air got trapped up in my body. so anyways i was given meds to basically fart it all out and i was in pain from it for 2 days.
so anyways that was the extent of my surgery and problems. overall it was a great surgery i have healed nicely from it. Id say it was my quickest recovery from c sections this time.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

December 5th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I love my family!!!
Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad you're doing better now. Great job mama!!
December 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sounds like quite the birth story! a little all over the place! your doctor's funny (put a zipper in LOL!). I can't get over Whitney's size, wow!
I'm sorry you had so much pain though from the trapped air that stinks, as if you need any more pain that what you get from a normal c-section recovery!

December 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing. The gas pain sounds awful, but glad it wasn't something more serious. Congrats on your little girl.

December 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Congratz on your little girl! And ouch on the gas pains.

December 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow! What a story! Thank you so much for sharing!

January 11th, 2012, 12:24 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations on your new little girl. i love the name Whitney.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search