Log In Sign Up

Liliana's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,398
I had started giving up going into labor on my own thus avoiding the scheduled induction. I woke up at somewhere between 1230 and 1am on Nov 30th, the day of my induction, with regular contractions at 5 min apart. They quickly became hard enough that I had to breath through them. I lasted a couple hours until I had to wake dh. He was thrilled and stayed up the rest of the night with me. I called the hospital and let the nurses there know what was going on. I got the usual 'stay home until you're in active labor' thing, asked a few more questions, and hung up.

Later in the afternoon of the 30th, I was really having to work through the contractions so at that point decided to get in the car make the 45 min drive to the hospital after calling them letting them know we were coming in. We get to the hospital and spend about 2 hours in triage getting checked (1cm and 80% effaced) and filling out paper work before they send us home after basically telling me I'm not in enough pain. We were not going all the way home. Dh and I found the nearest motel and went there for few hours. By then I had to moan through the contractions and sway hips while leaned over stuff, but I was getting through them. Quite intense contractions that weren't doing much.

We go back to the hospital and pretty much insist on being admitted. By then it was around 6 or 7 in the evening of the 30th. We were bounced between a couple different l&d triage rooms before getting moved to a real l&d room. I was checked and had progressed to 2. I was checked periodically throughout the night and even took some of that fetinol or whatever it's called through my iv and it helped me get some rest. Eventually I dilated to 3 then went from that to a 6 in an hour! This was happening at some point during the wee hours of the morning of the 31st. I had to wake up dh because I couldn't get through the contractions by myself anymore just before making that kind of progress.

Not long after my pain threshhold was far exceeded and the contractions had me nearly panicking. The nurse recommended an epidural. I was thinking about it at that point yet couldn't help to be disappointed over not getting my natural labor and delivery but consoled myself with the hope I'd still have a vaginal delivery. I accepted the epidural and signed all the waivers in between contractions. I velcroed myself to dh at that point and thankfully the anesthesiologist allowed dh to hold me instead of making me hold a nurse. According to dh he did ask dh to unstick me, but I was in no state to make sense of anything or really be aware of anything outside of me. All I know is it's extremely difficult to get through contractions having to hold stock-still and I was painfully aware when dh wasn't within arms reach so letting go of him was out of the question. Dh was wonderful talking me through and so was the anesthesiologist in letting me know what he was doing and when he would be done. I was very thankful for it when it was in. I laid down and slept for a few glorious hours. For anyone keeping track, this is my first real sleep after starting labor around midnight on the 30th and being awake up until like 4 am on the 31st. I was also checked a bit later and was a 7 or 8.

I wake up and I was still feeling much better thanks to that rest and pain relief. That lasted a few more hours later into the morning. I started getting visitors both my family and his. That was fine and I was enjoying the company. Whatever it was in the iv machine in charge of dosing epidural medicine was breaking so I started feeling some of the hardest contractions yet until someone had the sense to find my nurse and let her know. That got fixed and I was better. I was checked sometime that later morning and was a 9. Nearly ready to start pushing.

Three hours later or so and I'm still a 9. Lily was doing fine despite my slow progress. I was in a lot of pain even though the issue with the epidural was long since sorted out. Finally later that evening it was time to push. I had some trouble learning how so it took a good solid hour to figure out how to push right. When the nurse said I had it right I started giving it all I had. 2 hours later and she was still stuck behind my pubic bone. My ob came in and further assessed the situation. He said I had enough power in my pushes, but she was not descending. Our options were either try a vacuum which she was too high for that to be effective or a csection. I was devastated.

43 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing and my body even dilating and effacing on its own for a csection?? I accepted the inevitable. Then lost it. I freaked out during the contractions. I had no motivation to deal with them anymore and just wanted to get it over with.

They wheeled me back to the OR and started prepping me. I already had an epidural so at least I didn't hav to get stuck. Everyone was being very sweet and patient with me. I always panic during medical stuff more than just a shot. The drape was lifted and the oxygen thingy was in my nose and I was shaved downstairs. Dh was let in. A few minutes later, I heard her cry. I held onto that and let that beautiful sound calm me. Seconds later I saw her when my ob held her up for us. Dhs expression was priceless and I will never forget it. He had the biggest smile on his face. She's here. They took a moment to clean her up and brought her to me for just a few seconds and I kissed her and just stared at her forgetting about what was happening to me.

The reason for her failure to descend became obvious during the csection. She was in such a weird position. She was presenting with the right side of her face entering my pelvis. No wonder things were going so slow.

I was finally wheeled to a triage room for an hour or two where the nurse started pushing on my stomach. Holy heck ouch! Lol. The nurse told me I was almost done and dh came in with Lily and handed her to me. I savored every second of this. Dh took a couple pictures and I was asked to hand Lily back and was wheeled out to a recovery room. I had even caused her a couple bruises on that side of her face and swelling from trying to push her out.

The recovery days in the hospital were very difficult especially for my poor husband who had to to take care of us both and rarely got more than a few minutes sleep here and there. We are home now and things are much better. I'm healing well and able to help some too. My milk just came in today, too, which I'm relieved over.

Liliana May
9 pounds 2 ounces
21.5 inches long

Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Last edited by SkyBaby; December 6th, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
December 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 8,110
She is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats again! I'm so happy that she came out healthy - you did an amazing job!

Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM
karensc82's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 216
Congrats mama! I was in the same boat. Seth was stuck too and I couldn't push him out so I had to have a vacuum assist which I didn't want either. The important thing is your beautiful little girl is here safe and sound!
Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2011, 06:40 AM
binz1031's Avatar Lindsay
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 3,987
She's beautiful!

Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,710

Reply With Quote
December 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 13,418
Wow, she is a big baby! I am sorry that your labor did not go as planned but the good news is she is here with you. I am super happy for you... it was a long journey for you and your rainbow is finally here!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Reply With Quote
January 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations- she's so cute!!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0