Miles's entry (a planned c-section story)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Mommy2AandM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because Miles was measuring 9 lbs. 2 oz. according to my 37 week ultrasound, the doc decided to plan my second c-section and the VBAC was off the table. Despite the large weight estimate, the c-section was scheduled for 39w5d because the doc thought I would go into labor on my own before then and have the c-section earlier.

Wrong!

We woke up the morning of the 29th and got to the hospital at 9:30 for my noon c-section. Leaving DD the night before was terrible. I cried and cried about how it was the last day she would be an only child and how drastically her life was about to change. I tried not to think about it on the big day, but I teared up a few more times.

By 10:30, I was getting my IV (3 sticks, the first two my veins blew -- painful!!!) and hanging out in the recovery room watching "Will and Grace" while listening to Miles's heartbeat on the monitors.

At 11:30 or so, I met the anesthesiologist and she talked to me about what to expect pain- and pain management-wise. She was super thorough and made me feel more at ease. I was really nervous. She left and I had a few more minutes with DH before I was taken to the OR.

The same anesthesiologist was with me when I went to the operating room and was super nice the whole time. She gave me something to calm my nerves. (She said it would be like having a glass of wine -- it was more like having 6-8 glasses of wine!) By the time I had my spinal, I didn't care about anything! This was a good thing because generally the thought of needles going into my spine does not make me happy!

As soon as I got the spinal, the doc was there and ready to go! Less than 10 minutes later at 12:31, Miles made his entrance! The tugging and pulling was much less noticeable this time around. (The first c-section was done with an epi, this one was a spinal -- a BIG difference for the better!) I did get nauseated from the spinal and had intravenous phenergan to keep me from hurling everywhere.

The doc's eyes were as big around as saucers when he showed him to me for the first time. He even said, "I haven't seen a head this big in a looong time!" I got to touch his sweet face before they whisked him away to the nursery. (Another plus from the last c-section when my arms were tied down.)

They called a few minutes later from the nursery to say that he weighed 11 lbs. 7 oz! That caused a lot of talking among the medical personnel.

I was able to stay awake for the rest of the c-section. (Another plus from the last one -- I was freaking about feeling the tugging and pulling at the beginning, so they eventually put me out!) They brought Miles to nurse in recovery because his blood sugar was low -- a problem that resolved itself within 12 hours.

Recovery has been good. I'm 2 weeks post-partum and am off pain meds. I just feel blessed!

formerly screen name "Audrey's Mommy"
December 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a big boy! Congrats.

December 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I love my family!!!
He's a big hunk of love! Good job mama!!
December 13th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Super Mommy
That is a very big boy - so glad to hear that everything went so much smoother this time and was an overall good experience for you!
December 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hooray for a much better experience than last time! Thank you for sharing.

December 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great Story!! I am so glad this c-section was a much more enjoyable one than your first. Miles is precious and Audrey looks like she is a great big sis already!
December 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a better experience for you! Wow what a big guy
I love your sig pic with both of your children

December 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome story! I love the name you chose. Thank goodness you didn't try for a vbac with his size! Congratulations!
January 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! i'm glad things went well for you.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search