Log In Sign Up

Madison's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 3,387
Madison’s Birth Story
Due Date: December 15th 2011
Birth Date: December 11th 2011 at 1810
Weight: 7lbs 7oz
Length: 19 ¾ inches

I went in to my 39 week prenatal appointment and during it I got my membranes stripped. Midwife said it would only work if my body was ready. I was 3cm and 65% effaced that day. The next day as soon as I got into the car to go to work I started having Braxton hicks and I noticed they weren’t going away so I timed them and they were steadily 7 minutes or so apart. I got sent home from work because they were certain “this was it” I wasn’t so convinced, I have bh all the time. I would have been so embarrassed if it wasn’t it. I decided to go home and take a nap. I woke up because they started to hurt. I went to the gym to try and get them closer together and I did, they got to around 2 minutes apart lasting 30 seconds. As soon as I got off they spaced back apart. I went to bed that night and had crazy dreams. I woke up around 4am to go check on Patrick like I always do. He was playing his video games and we were just talking about the dreams I was having. All of a sudden I felt something creeping out of my body. I reached down, because I was naked and I scooped up this huge amount of “goo” …about two handfuls worth. Meanwhile hubby is telling me he’s going to throw up and why did I show him. After the goo incident I went back to sleep and was woken up around 7 am with even more painful bh. This is Saturday now… day 2 of constant contractions. I went to the gym yet again to see if I could stir things up since these contractions were only 10 minutes apart. They got to every 4 minutes and were very sporadic the rest of the day. I did stuff to take my mind off of things, like clean the rat cages and text my friend Heather (my doula from afar) about what was going on. She told me to do different things like try the yoga ball and squatting. Earlier, after the gym, I decided to try and take a warm bath, the pain subsided and the contractions started to space out, I also got hot so I got out. A few of these contractions were making me tear up and even cry a little. I was quiet about what was going on because I didn’t want hubby to think I was over thinking things like I normally do. I told him that I thought we should call the hospital and tell them what was going on. He didn’t agree so we didn’t call. Later that night around 8pm I couldn’t hold it back anymore. I was dealing so well with the contractions hubby didn’t know they actually hurt. Dealing with somewhat painful contractions for 2 days straight was getting exhausting. I was focusing on relaxing my pelvic floor muscles and breathing through the pain. I felt all the pain in my cervix. It kind of felt like someone was wringing out my cervix. Like when you’re trying to squeeze all the water out of a washcloth. So around 8 on Saturday night Patrick saw my eyes welling up with tears because I couldn’t relax anymore. I think it finally hit him that this might actually be it because of how I was acting. So we called the hospital and headed over. The drive wasn’t so bad, I only had 5 contractions on the way there. I turned on the song Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd and played it loud and got through the contractions, the next song I played was With Arms Wide Open by Creed, those two songs made me very emotional as they have significant meaning to me… We got checked in and I was told I had made no progress from Thursday. I was shocked. How could this pain be all for nothing. The nurse thought we might try walking around to see if anything changed, I knew it wouldn’t work because I had been walking all day. By this time I’m having to hold on to Patrick because it hurt so bad. After an hour or so of walking I got checked again and still had no progress. I told Patrick I said if I don’t have progress I just want to go home. I was also crying during the contractions and I guess he told the nurse while I was in the bathroom that he didn’t want me to go home. I was really convinced if I went home things would stop. After another half hour of being in triage and their Tylenol pm doing nothing for the pain, or putting me to sleep I decided maybe I should stay after all. They put us in a L&D room, not as being admitted, but being an observed outpatient. They gave me a shot of morphine so I could sleep. It didn’t work. I don’t remember sleeping, but I do remember the night hours flying by and suddenly it was 8am. I remember feeling every contraction through the night. I remember getting up and walking around and going to the bathroom a handful of times. I felt oddly rested when I “woke up” that morning. I remember feeling so high. Feeling like melted marshmellows and I was sooo pleasant in between contractions. I got checked again and I made progress! I was still 3cm but I effaced to 75%. That was very reassuring to me. The dr. on call called me. She asked me what I wanted to do, and I remember saying I just wanted this to end. So we settled on breaking my water and the lowest setting of pitocin. I think around 9am they came to set up my IV. They blew both veins in each of my wrists and finally got it in my right hand. Which pretty much made my hand useless. I told them I wanted to get up and walk around so I did, I had the wireless moniters on. I thought it would be best to sit on the toilet with the lights off and listen to my ipod. I was coping incredibly well with the music and rotating my hips on the toilet. I felt more mucus leave my body. I looked down and it was bloody, more progress!! About 20 minutes go by after starting pitocin and the dr finally arrives to break my water. In that 20 minutes of rolling my hips and moaning through the contractions (which hurt 10x worse then the day before yet I wasn’t crying anymore) … in that 20 minutes I went to 5cm and 100% effaced! I really don’t think it was pitocin since they said it would take an hour to even make a dent. They broke my water which was generally painless. I got up and told them I wanted to labor in the shower. I was still having to loudly vocalize through the contractions. They were taking my clothes off so I could go in the shower and I had to bend over during a contraction and hold onto the sink and I see behind my legs the amount of water coming out of me. I had a 4 ft diameter of fluid around me by the time the gush stopped. They were amazed at how much I had. My belly got a lot smaller. I get in the shower and start to cope in there. The nurses kept coming in telling me they couldn’t find her heartbeat. I was telling Patrick I could do this! I can do it if I stay here in the shower. I was very loud and vocal. I sounded pathetic. It was all I could do, I was still fighting my body and fighting the pain but it was incredible and coming so fast. Contraction after contraction… I had to get out of the shower since the monitors weren’t working in there. I got to the sink and felt a contraction that radiated down my legs, I almost dropped to my knees. I told them I couldn’t do it anymore. I had held on as long as I could. Before I got the epidural I was at 7cm and I started cursing through the contractions and yelling even louder. I wasn’t scared of the epi anymore it was all I could think of. I felt jolts go down my right leg, it was so odd. I laid back and begged for it to start working soon. It was only working on the right side. I had to lay on my left side to get it to work completely. I tried to sleep but I couldn’t, as soon as I would drift off I would feel myself slow down my breathing and it would freak me out so I just stayed awake. Around 530 they came in and told me I only had a lip of cervix left but she was sunny side up. The positioned me on my right side so she would rotate. She finally turned and they let me labor down. I asked if I could touch her head and I could feel it!!! It was so crazy. I asked if they had a mirror so they got one for me. I started pushing and 3 contractions later she was born. I had wanted to wait to cut the cord til it stopped pulsing but as I was pushing… and squirting the nurse with the still massive amount of fluid left in my body they noticed it was green and she recently passed mecconium and she would have to be wisked away. Patrick cut the cord in a hurry and she went to be assessed. I was crying with joy and oh my god I can’t believe she’s here, I can’t believe it’s over. She was placed on my chest after giving the ok she was fine. She nursed for a whole hour! Her apgars were 9 and 9. She was perfect. She is perfect. She has dark green eyes and all her daddy’s features except for my eyebrows. She is quite the breast feeder and is such a mommys girl. She hates not being by my side. I love her so much. She’s my perfect little angel and she was worth the wait. I didn’t get my natural childbirth but I won’t give up. I still want to attempt another one later. I think I know what I need to better cope next time. We will see. I know I’m missing stuff but that’s what exhaustion does to a new mommy.


Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM
seraphina's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 401
she's beautiful... precious Great story too! Good job momma!
Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hoping for baby #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,134
Awe you did so good. Don't knock yourself for not doing it completely natural. She is beautiful!

Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I love my family!!!
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 743
Great job mama!!
Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,271
Congrats Thx for sharing!
Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,254
She's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
December 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
she's sooo cute. congratulations and well done!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: sunny state
Posts: 2,424
Good job! She is beautiful!

Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 510
Gorgeous! You made it quite far with the natural birth experience - good for you!
Reply With Quote
December 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Posts: n/a
What a great story Miranda! It was very heartfelt! Even though it was not the actual birth that you wanted you still did it and your beautiful little girl is here and is healthy and thats all that matters!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0