Mason's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mason’s Birth Story
Mason was scheduled to be delivered via c section December 5th, however, he had a plan of his own!!

I suppose my story started on the previous Wednesday. Overnight I couldn’t sleep because I was having horrible back pain. So I stayed home from work Thursday and had my 39 week OB appointment that afternoon. I told the doc about my back pain so they sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored for a few hours to see if I was in fact having back labor pains. Turns out, I wasn’t…or so they thought. I was sent home with a few muscle relaxers. I was able to get a good night’s sleep and woke up Friday feeling great. I went to work and felt pretty good. It was my last day of work and no one could believe I was actually there. I sit behind a desk so it wasn’t that big of a deal, physically anyway. I came home from work around 3:30pm and lay on the bed talking to my husband. We were trying to figure out what we were going to do for the weekend since I didn’t want to just lay around anxiously waiting for Monday’s c section when all of a sudden I felt a gush “down below” and I ran to the bathroom. DH said he hadn’t seen me move that fast in months!! So, I go to the bathroom fully expecting there to be blood and it was just clear liquid. I go to the bathroom and clean up. I tell DH that I think my water just broke. I stood there for a bit and more clear liquid just trickled down my leg. So I clean up again and put on a clean pair of underwear and lay back down. Just a second or so later, I felt another gush and run to the bathroom…more clear liquid. So I just stand there in the bathroom with no pants or underwear on. DD looked at me like I was crazy and said, “Mommy, take a bath?” I said, “No, honey.” She looks confused again and said, “Mommy need to go potty?” I said, “No, honey.” So she looks even more confused now!! By this time, DH had already called his mom and asked if we could bring DD over for the night since we were heading to the hospital. Meanwhile, I called my doc and informed her of what happened. The best part was…I was in NO pain at all!! I wasn’t having any contractions or anything. I said the whole pregnancy that it would be awesome if my water could just break and not have any contractions, well, I got my wish!! We drop off DD and head to the hospital. I didn’t have any more gushes while I was seated in the car, but when DH dropped me off at the door of the hospital and I waited inside it was full on gushes at that point!! Good thing I was wearing black pants otherwise I would have looked like I peed my pants!! We go up to Labor and Delivery to get checked in. They put me in a labor room and I, once again, get all hooked up to the monitors.

The nurse comes in to do the swab to check if it was, in fact, amniotic fluid and just as she was going to do the swab there was another huge gush of water. I had no idea there was that much fluid in there! I felt like I was sitting in a pool of pee…awesome!! So the nurse said there was no need to do the swab that my water had definitely broken so they called my doc and said I would for sure be having this baby that night!! By this time it was around 5:30pm and DH hadn’t eaten dinner yet. They said my c section was going to be scheduled for 7pm since I had last eaten something around 1pm. I sent DH to the cafeteria to get some food as I sat there and filled out paperwork, calm as can be!! It was the weirdest feeling. I did have about two actual contractions, but nothing terrible. This whole experience was completely night and day from DD’s birth, thank goodness!!! The nightshift nurse came in and told me that she may have to give me my catheter before the spinal epidural for some reason and I said, “Oh no you won’t!!” I would like to be drugged up first, thank you very much! Luckily, I got my way. My biggest concern was that everyone and their brother would get to see him before me like last time and I absolutely did not want that to happen. So the nurses assured me that wasn’t going to happen! I was then wheeled into the OR room while DH got “suited up”. I was given the spinal as the docs and nurses tried talking to me to get my mind off things, even though I totally knew what they were doing. So, I got my epidural and then they did the catheter. DH was brought in and off they went. I wasn’t completely drugged up so I remember everything that was going on and was able to talk to the nurses. Last time, I was just terrified that something terrible was happening to DD. This time was slow, controlled and much more relaxed. I was even able to joke around with the nurses and doctors. The entire procedure was slow and relaxed. I remember feeling a TON of tugging and pulling with DD, but this time I felt some tugging, but nothing like before. So I talked to the nurses about Christmas shopping and the recent Baby Lisa case that I was working on. Crazy to think that a baby was being born and we were casually chatting away! So, at exactly 8pm Mason Joseph was born weighing 7lbs 2oz and 20 inches long.

The first thing the doc said when they cut me open was “WOW he has a lot of hair!” So in true style, I replied, “Is he brown?” LOL…it’s been a running joke to see if he was going to look like his daddy or white like his mommy! I am pleased to say that he and his big sister look just alike expect the fact that Paige had a TON of more hair, believe it or not. The only difference is that Mason appears to have grey eyes right now instead of brown, so I’m hoping that he will have hazel eyes like his momma! DH went with Mason to the recovery room while I got stitched up. This seemed to take quite a while, but I have been told by several nurses that this doctor is one of the best, but takes her time with stitching me up. I was happy with that. At one point, the nurse said they were going to bedazzle my incision!! LOL I also joked with them that if they saw any fat they could go ahead and remove that too! I wish!! After I was stitched up, I was taken to recovery and reunited with DH and Mason for some skin to skin time! Then after an hour or so we were taken up to the mother and baby floor where we stayed for 4 days. Once there, we were able to spend a little time as a family before my mom, DH’s dad and DH’s sister arrived. Overall, the birth was amazing and I couldn’t have planned it any better!
Since then, Mason has been a breastfeeding champ! He lost 9% of his initial body weight in the hospital, but by the next day we were released from the hospital he had already gained by 5 ozs and a week after that he had gained another 9oz and have surpassed his birth weight before he even reached 2 weeks of age! Go magic bOObies!!! Besides being exhausted, I’m totally in love with my little man!

Dad and his son!

Momma and his man going HOME!

Mason and his big sister! She absolutely loves him to death!! I hope they stay this close!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

December 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Awe he is so precious. Good job momma! Glad you got the birth experience you wanted.

December 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a cutie pie Glad you have a good birth experience.

December 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I love my family!!!
Great job mama!!
December 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much girls!!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

December 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
love the pictures!! he is precious! glad everything went so smoothly for you too!

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

December 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww he's soo precious!! I'm soo glad you had a better experience this time around!! Those pictures are adorable, especially the big sister, little brother ones!

December 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awesome birth story!!!!!!!!! He is beautiful!

January 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
he's adorable! congratulations.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search