Nathan's Birth Story (long! footling breech c-section)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Snookums's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry it took so long, we've been busy with the new baby, our 2 yo and the Christmas holidays!!

On Thursday Dec 15 I had my last pre-natal appointment. At this appointment we discussed induction dates as I was due 2 days away and my last pregnancy had me overdue and needing to be induced. After the usual stuff (bp, heartbeat, etc.) My doc told me that he wanted to check me and see how favourable my cervix was to see if I would need the gel the day before induction or if we could go straight to pitocin. During the exam he seemed to be 'in there' for quite awhile. I took that as a sign that I was still very high and tight and would definitely be needing induction (which was a little disappointing seeing as I had been having false labour a couple of times and had my bloody show that morning). However that wasn't the case. Instead he told me that there was a problem. while he was checking me, he felt that I WAS dialated (2 cm YAY!) BUT he could feel a foot in the birth canal (A FOOT!) and that we needed to talk. He told me that I would have to have a c-section for his birth and it needed to be asap. we scheduled it for the 17th (since he was working that day, I rathered him deliver my son) - and I admit I cried when he told me, I wasn't expecting that news 2 days before I was due!
That afternoon I was feeling very sore & crampy (which I attributed to the exam - I felt similar after my last exam). I had wanted to do some stuff to get ready for the surgery but was too sore to get off the couch. Later Steve came home and I started dinner. While I was cooking dinner I started to feel contractions again. I figured it was probably false labour again. However these contractions were a LOT more painful, and seemed closer together. Steve convinced me to time them "just to see". They were 4-5 min apart. I continued to make dinner in between the contractions and wanted to see if they continued or fizzled. They continued. I was tempted to try a warm bath ans lie down to see if they stopped or not. It didn't take me TOO long to decide that maybe we should head to the hospital to get checked out instead (the doctor told me that I need to come in if I had signs of labour b/c he was footling breech) so we called his mom to come & watch Kayla. We headed to the hospital and I was set up to be assessed. The nurse hooked me up to monitors and left for about 10 minutes. When she came back she saw that the contractions were 2-3 min apart, she then checked me. (i should mention that when I was off putting the gown on, Steve mentioned that the baby was breech, but not that he was feet first - it makes a difference, they would let me try to deliver bum breech but not footling) She immediately panicked and ran off to get the doctor. The doctor came in and mentioned that the nurse thought she felt a foot and she was going to double check. She confirmed that not only was he feet first, but that I was 9cm and needed to get into surgery NOW. She kept yelling at me not to push whatever I did. The room jumped into action, nurses everywhere, I was getting IV's, a catheter, being asked questions and just as quickly being wheeled to the OR. It was a little scary but it was happening too quickly for me to really get too scared or panicked. They told me that they'd try a spinal but if it wasn't done quickly they'd have to put me out and Steve wouldn't be able to be there. I did everything I could to make that spinal work (which is not easy rolling into a ball and staying still while contracting rapidly & painfully and also trying not to push). Thankfully it worked and it was such a relief to have him there. Before I knew it, Nathan was out and I heard that beautiful cry. They let me kiss him before taking him away
all in all, it was maybe 3 hours from when the contractions started to when he was born. a huge difference from my dd!
Had I gone and taken a bath like I had initially wanted too, there's a very good chance we wouldn't have made it to the hospital and that it could have been dangerous for him. Very glad we made the decision to go in!
Nathan Aaron was born on December 15 @ 8:10 pm, 9lbs 10oz

December 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM
jessicab25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to jessicab25
Wow im glad you went in! Congrats again.
January 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
I love my family!!!
What an amazing story!! Sooo glad everything all worked out for you mama!!
January 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations on your sweet little boy. glad you got to the hospital in time. i wouldn't have made it to the hospital myself, with my first son, had my husband not insisted we go right away.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search