The arrival of my little Giorgio!! :D *LONG*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By VikingMamma
  • 1 Post By *~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*
  • 1 Post By Lorena26

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
My Birth Story

I was due on Monday December 19th, 2011 and was really hoping that baby would arrive on time. For 3 days prior to my due date I had been having regular contractions, the first two days they were not too strong but I was hoping my body was preparing. The third day of contractions, (Sunday 12/18 one day before my EDD) the contractions got more intense and were frequent. DH/Ronnie decided to take me to the hospital that night as my contractions were 5 minutes apart, but I had a feeling that because they weren’t really strong that nothing would be happening that night. At the hospital they hooked me up and saw that indeed my contractions were regular so they watched me for an hour. I was 2cm at the time I arrived and made no progress in that hour’s time. Disappointed I went home but hoped that tomorrow might bring on some stronger contractions. I got zero sleep that night as the contractions became strong enough to keep me awake. The next day the contractions eventually got stronger and stronger. Ronnie’s family had driven down from NY and we all went out to dinner that Monday night (my due date). I was having strong contractions all night, and I had to laugh because the waiter had really bad timing as he came to take our order. I had an intense contraction just as he got to me and he probably thought I was a wacko for breathing through the contraction while trying to give him my order! After dinner that night Ron and his step dad were trying to install the dishwasher and needed to make a quick run to Lowes for a tool or something. At this point while they were gone I was walking around and focusing through the contractions I was having. When they came back from the store, they discovered they were missing the power plug for the dishwasher and were going to run back out to get it. At this point it was about 8:30pm and I said that I didn’t think I could make it until they returned if they went to Lowes again. Ronnie decided that he’d better take me to the hospital so off we went. The contractions were intense but irregular but I was hoping this was it because I could not take another sleepless night like the one before.

Once we arrived to the hospital they hooked me up again and the nurse said she would check with the doctor to see if they were going to admit me or not. I was hoping she was going to say yes because my due date was almost officially over and I was really hoping this was it. I knew that i wasn't going to have the baby that night but the next day would have been great I was happy to hear that they were indeed admitting me and that I’d be moved into a room. I was dilated to 3cm and continued to have strong but irregular contractions all night. Ronnie’s mom arrived soon after I was admitted and my mom made the hour and a half trip down to us, arriving sometime around 2am or maybe even slightly later. I focused and breathed through the contractions as they came and somehow managed to sleep in between them. I was doing just fine but my contractions were still not regular though they were quite intense. When I was dilated to 6cm in the early morning the nurse said that she was going to start me on Pitocin to make the contractions more regular. I was scared as heck because Pitocin was the last word I wanted to hear. I asked the nurse if I would be “okay” because I had no pain medication and was scared of the Pitocin making it more difficult on me. She assured me that I’d be fine because my body was progressing beautifully on it’s own but she didn’t want me to have to labor all day. Soon after when I reached 7cm the nurse informed me that the Dr. was going to come in and break my water. Minutes after my water was broken I suddenly got terrible, terrible lower back pain. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my back and it was as hard to deal with that pain as it was to deal with the contractions. I tried changing positions and sitting on a rocking chair but nothing helped. The pain was so intense and constant (no break whatsoever between contractions) that I didn’t know that I could continue on med free. Ronnie asked the nurse how long I could expect this part to last and she said “considering it’s usually 1cm an hour, probably about 3hrs” I wanted to cry when I heard that, there was no way I could last another 3hrs with pain like that. I ended up asking the nurse for general pain relief through the IV thinking I’d still be hours away from the end. As she left the room to get the medication, I felt my body starting to push. I found myself lifting off the chair I was sitting in, my arms were shaking and I was bending forwards. I felt like the baby was going to come out or something so I kept lifting myself up but I barely had the strength to do so and the pain was just, well, intense! When the nurse came back I told her I felt like my body was pushing and she said “well you’re only 7cm honey, but I’ll check you again”. I felt like saying well this baby wants to come if I’m more than 7cm or not because I feel my body doing things!!

I struggled to get back on the bed with the help of DH and the nurse. The nurse checked me again and said sort of in shock “You’re 9cm!!! Let me get the doctor!!” As she hurried out of the room to get the doctor, I heard her saying to someone, i assume another nurse, “she didn’t get an epidural, she progressed really really fast!!” It couldn’t have been much more than 8-10minutes since the doctor broke my water up to this point now. My body started pushing and the doctor wasn’t even in the room yet, so the nurse kept telling me not to push with it, yeah well easy for her to say! They kept telling me to breathe through it, don’t hold my breath and push…just to fight the urge. I said “I can’t!” Ronnie was trying to get me to focus on him and stop pushing but I felt my eyes sorta rolling around in my head and I couldn’t focus on him or on much of anything to be honest. I realized the nurse had hooked up the medication and it made me “loopy” as she called it…had I known it would have been minutes, not hours I would not have asked for the meds, it didn’t do anything anyway because I went so quick!

Now that the doctor was in I was given the okay to push. I subconsciously kept trying to squeeze my legs together and it took a lot of effort and concentration to try to spread them and push. I kept breathing through the pushing and they kept telling me to hold my breath which I for some reason found difficult. I announced that I felt like “I was going to poop” and they told me “no, it’s the baby!” I think my body inhibited myself thinking I was going to poop so once I got past that I think it was a little easier. I feel that saying 20min of pushing would be on the long side, I don’t think it was quite that long but I wasn’t exactly watching the clock but i know it went quick. When the baby was out, because we didn’t know the sex, they told me “look what’s between the legs!!!” I looked down and said “I can’t see!” because the baby was being held too low. They moved the baby and held him up a little higher and I looked down and saw boy parts! The doctor asked Ronnie if he wanted to cut the cord and I saw him shake his head no, then they said “mom?” Without hesitation I took the scissor thing and did it myself, and they placed my baby boy on my chest.

I can’t express the range of emotions I had, I know I must have cried though I don’t remember…I just know that when I looked at myself later on my mascara had ran down my face a bit, I never removed my makeup from the night I was admitted! As soon as they handed me my baby, my mom, Ronnie’s mom and his brother came in the room. I have to say I was not too happy to see his brother, I looked like a disaster for one but my boob was out cuz the baby was trying to eat! I tried to cover up the best I could but I was quite embarrassed that he saw me immediately after giving birth and looking like quite a mess at such an intimate moment!

Overall i had a really good experience minus the part where the nurse hooked up the medication through the IV. One of the reasons i didn't want an epidural or pain medication was because i wanted to be in control of my body. What i got was exactly the opposite...i could feel pain and most importantly the urge to push but everything else was a blur. Ronnie kept yelling commands at me to try to get me to focus. I'd be able to focus on his eyes for a couple seconds before they rolled around in my head again and that was very difficult to work through and very unpleasant to experience. I also had to get an episiotomy which sucked but i would have torn anyway so i guess there was no difference. :shrug:

Well there's my story! If you have any questions, fire away

January 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
I love my family!!!
You did a great job mama!! Our boys have the same birthdays too!
January 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
MammaHutch
What a great story! I told you it was a boy mamma! Its so amazing that you just breathed through your contractions and I think its so funny that you had to order your dinner while having a contraction. He is adorable! Congrats to you and your family.
January 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations on your adorable son!
i've gotten the "but we just checked you-- you're only a 7," before... and had my babies moments later. they almost didn't get me to a room with my first, because they just couldn't imagine a first-time mom delivering so fast. they need to loosen up and realise everyone's different.
very cool that you got to cut the cord. that's something i've always wanted to do but am just toooo tired.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

May 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just reading this 5 months later!! What a good story Do you think you would get an epidural next baby? or just go ahead and do it pain free Good job girl!
Lorena26 likes this.
May 22nd, 2012, 07:57 PM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
i love your birth story! that is so awesome you got to cut the cord.
Lorena26 likes this.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

May 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingMamma View Post
Just reading this 5 months later!! What a good story Do you think you would get an epidural next baby? or just go ahead and do it pain free Good job girl!
I would definitely not get an epidural, i'm not a fan of a needle in the back but my real issue is my scoliosis. And for the next baby i will not get the meds in the IV either...that stuff was terrible!!! I didn't even need it because i was right there but the stupid nurse made me think i still had hours to go. It made me so disoriented that it was difficult to focus.
VikingMamma likes this.

May 25th, 2012, 02:13 PM
MammaHutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena26 View Post
but my real issue is my scoliosis. :
Did your Dr tell you that you cannot get the epi because of your scoliosis? I am asking because I have it too, got diagnosed when I was 12 and I got mine just fine. But I know that every case is different, so maybe yours is.
May 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The doctor told me that i might not be able to get it, that i should check first. I didn't want it anyway so that made it easier for me to make the decision not to get it. I didn't want to take a chance that i would walk away paralyzed or something, i know it's a small chance but i didn't want to be part of that unlucky percentage.

May 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM
MammaHutch
Oh I know exactly what you mean. I had to get it because of my c-section so I had no choice, but just that "chance" is very scary.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search