Log In Sign Up

The Home Water-Birth of Dahlia Marie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,094
Dahlia Marie is our little "drama" queen! She really knows how to play tricks on her mommy! After 2 bouts of false labor, she finally decided to come at the last minute before 2011 was over- our New Year’s Eve baby! Here's our story:

Friday morning, I decided to go get adjusted one last time at my chiropractor. I was so stiff and sore from the stress the past week had brought on me. I felt so much better after being adjusted, thinking that the next time labor started I would probably stay in labor. We then went out to eat at a Mexican joint for lunch so I could eat some spicy foods.

Saturday morning, New Years Eve, I really needed to get my mind off things now that I was nearly a week overdue. We went hiking at a nearby nature preserve and I flew down the trail, hiking with gusto. This was so abnormal for me since I normally take my time climbing hills! I didn't really think too much of it though. Later that afternoon, DH and I made love (for like the millionth time that week, haha!) and then went out shopping at Lowes. At Lowes, I started having contractions that were pretty strong, but I didn't want to get my hopes up so I didn't think too much of them. They were coming every 10 minutes so nothing to get excited over. We went home, made dinner, and I started timing them around 6:30pm and they were coming 6-7 minutes apart. I made the call to alert one of the midwives, but did not tell them to come yet. We put DD to bed, and I took a shower to see if that would stop the contractions. Shortly before the shower, I had a very small amount of "bloody show" which was really just pink twinged mucus, and not much of it. The shower seemed to intensify the contractions, and I was moaning and trying to get through each one. At 8:15, I had DH summon the midwives. He then worked on getting arrangements for DD while I worked through the contractions on my stability ball. I had to visualize myself getting through each one, like riding a wave. By the time the midwives arrived, I was having them very close together. Moving around seemed to intensify them so I stayed on my ball. Despite the intensity and pain of each contraction, I was able to get through them with visualization and chanting "I can do this" over and over. I held on tight to DH's hands through each one, and everyone was very encouraging throughout, telling me how great of a job I was doing. Around 11, I decided to be checked to see my progress, since things were really picking up. I was starting to feel nauseated and getting chills. I was checked and found to be 8cm. I remember asking if I was going through transition and they told me I was. A few of the contractions became horrible at that point and someone suggested I get in the shower for a bit to see if that might help. I got in, and was relieved to feel the hot water. I couldn't really stand at that point, so I dropped to my hands and knees. We decided to fill up the tub for better relief, which helped a bit. The contractions were so intense at this point I was afraid I would not get through them. I tried as hard as possible to remain as controlled and relaxed as I could, but a few of them I sorta lost it and everyone tried to bring me back down. I knew this baby needed to get out and now. I could not stand this a minute longer! I tried to get out of the tub and make my way to the bed, but as I stood up, I felt like I needed to push right there. I decided to stay in the tub. The uncontrollable urge to push came over me and after the first push, one of the midwives put my hand down to feel that the baby's head had crowned. I remember being freaked out and said "I don't want to feel it!" but it was actually very encouraging to know baby was close. I think my water broke sometime before that happened as well. The last 4 minutes or so of pushing were agonizing, I was screaming partly in fear of it lasting forever. But within 3 more pushes, baby shot out like a rocket. I couldn't believe it! She made a wimper as soon as she was lifted out of the water and placed on my chest. I was in shock! I thought she should be crying more, but everyone was saying how gentle her birth was, she had no reason to cry! She was so warm on my chest, with the blankets all around her. After a minute, I had DH look to see if it was a boy or a girl, and I was thrilled when we saw she was indeed a baby girl! (everyone was saying it was going to be a boy but I thought girl from the start!). She came into this world at 11:37pm on New Years Eve- just in time for that 2011 tax deduction, haha! She weighed 7lbs 4oz and was 19 inches long.

Afterwards, I got out of the tub and dried off, and got in our own bed and snuggled with our baby girl. She took to nursing right away, and probably would have crawled up my chest if I had let her! I was a little distracted during the nursing session though from my after pains, which I knew would be bad (as a side note, can I say how unfair after pains are? I seem to have them pretty bad compared to most moms, boo!). I also was afraid I had tore really bad since I was also having some pain. However, later, one of the midwives checked me for tears and was surprised to tell me I was completely in tact! I wasn’t even swollen or bruised! I was so happy to hear this since I tore with DD1. The pain I was feeling was just because I had a natural delivery- hello just pushed a baby out, haha- and was normal. After nursing for a while, it had pretty much subsided though. I was, and still am, in awe of the fact that I could immediately go to the bathroom without any problems or pain! This has been wonderful!

After nursing and bonding for a while, I took a shower, and put on some clean clothes. About this time, I got to cut Dahlia’s umbillical cord and the midwives bagged up the placenta. After looking at the placenta, they said it was very healthy and had no signs of aging whatsoever. Even though Dahlia was technically a week late, she seemed to have been born right on time!

I really could not have asked for things to go any better than they did for our first homebirth! Total time spent in active labor was just over 3 hours. I went from 7cm to pushing in less than 30 minutes and then only pushed for just 4 minutes. I didn’t have any back labor either, which I was trying very hard to avoid this time around.

My recovery has been going very well, and Dahlia is doing great. She is a such a little bundle of joy and we never get tired of just watching her!

Shortly after birth:
Mommy to 2 girls , 6/26/10 & 12/31/11

Reply With Quote
January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
I love my family!!!
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 743
What an amazing story and I totally hear ya about the tax deduction!! Great job mama!!
Reply With Quote
January 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
aw, she's adorable! congratulations!
glad you had such a good birth! my first son didn't cry when he was born, either-- he just looked around at everyone, and never made a peep until they pricked his heel the next day. he's been calm all his life.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0