Rowan's birth story <3

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is going to be long... just like the 53 hour labor was, lol.

Tuesday, December 27th was my 39 week checkup at the OB. At my two previous appointments, I had been 1 cm dilated, my cervix was thin, and baby was low. This time, the doc poked around a bit to find my cervix and found that I was 3-4 cm dilated, 98% effaced, and baby was at 0 station. He and the nurse both kind of gasped and asked how I wasn't in labor right that minute. They decided to call my OB (I was still rotating through OBs) and ask if he wanted to schedule an induction. Sure enough, my regular OB decided to schedule an induction for the morning of January 3rd. I really didn't want to be induced, but they were concerned that once I started contractions, I may not have enough time to get to the hospital. They also mentioned I would likely not make it to that date, so I was okay with it. As I was getting dressed, I noticed that I was spotting, which I remembered was probably a result of the doc poking around at my cervix. I didn't think much of it.

When DH got home from work that afternoon, I told him the news and he suggested that we have sex to move things along, since he knew I wasn't 100% for an induction. I noted that this time, I wasn't uncomfortable and it felt really, really good. (He thought the opposite-- he kept hitting baby's head and had a hard time focusing on finishing, lol.) Later that night my SIL and I went to watch The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought I was having some pretty serious BHs through the whole thing. They might have been mild contractions, though. I'm not sure. Around 11pm, I got home from the movie and almost instantly was doubled over from the pain in my back from each contraction. I couldn't even feel any pain in my abdomen. I thought for sure it was go-time, so we started timing. 12 mins apart... 10 mins... 4 mins... 7 mins... they weren't regular. I called the on-call nurse and she said "Once they are consistently 5 minutes apart, you should go to L&D." So we waited. We slept 2 hours that night, and I was completely miserable. I texted with my SIL about how badly it hurt, and we determined that what I was experiencing was back labor.

On Wednesday, DH went into work late since they contractions seemed to die down a bit. The longest break I had was about 1 hour, but they were still horribly painful to the point that I had to stop what I was doing, breathe through each 1 minute long contraction, and squeeze the heck out of something. I thought for sure I was going to die. That night, we went out to eat and to walk around Best Buy in hopes that the contractions could get more regular. They got down to about 6 mins each, until we got back home... then they were back to irregular intervals. I bounced on an exercise ball and watched some movies with DH... and decided that it just wasn't happening, so I decided to try to get some rest. That night, I slept in about 7-12 minute intervals. I was exhausted. I'd wake up during the contraction, squeeze my pillow and curl my toes through it, and then fall back asleep until the next one. At one point I woke up and I was bleeding bright red blood, so I called the on-call nurse again and explained that I got my bloody show. Again, she said I had to have contractions 5 minutes apart. *sigh*

On Thursday, DH stayed home with me. My parents came by to hang out, and I realized that mom wanted to actually see how badly the contractions were. She was coaching me through some of them and suggested that I go in and at least see if they'd admit me to L&D. She didn't remember her contractions being so bad in early labor. DH's mom came by as well, and she seemed surprised that I wasn't there yet. I explained what the nice nurse kept telling me.. and that all I wanted at this point was some relief so that I could sleep. Later that night, we decided to try the going-out-to-eat and walking thing again. When we were getting dressed to leave, I was brought to tears by a contraction and decided that I didn't need to be out in public looking like I was going to drop a baby at anytime, so we decided to go to the hospital. (Apparently my mom had also emailed DH and begged him to make me go in the next time I tried to call the on-call nurse, lol.)

Thursday night around 6:30pm we got to L&D and I had a whopper of a contraction at the registration desk. I took a good 10 minutes changing into my hospital gown, and once I was strapped to the monitors, it turned out that I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart and I was 5cm dilated. I wasn't even feeling the little contractions between my massive contractions!!! I could have gone in way earlier, according to the nurse. I got an epidural as soon as I could, as I couldn't take the back labor anymore and just wanted to rest. My parents arrived soon after, and finally I was able to relax and not want to die.

After that, it was just a matter of waiting to dilate completely. My SIL came a little later, taking labor pictures (which turned out awesome, and yes, she took pictures of the whole thing!), and we just hung out and joked with each other. One of my favorite pictures was of me smiling in the bed with the contraction monitor showing a huge one that was off the charts. As much as I would have loved a natural birth, I loved that dang epidural.

On Friday morning, around 4am, it was time to push. I pushed for just under an hour. I was able to feel pressure through the epidural, so I was happy that I had at least a little feeling. At 4:56am, he was born. DH and I had 3 names picked out, but we had been waiting to name him until we saw his face. The doctor put him on my chest while they wiped him up a bit, and I told him Happy Birthday and tried as hard as I could to remember that moment so I could keep it forever. DH and I both looked at him, then said to each other "he's totally Rowan Everett..." <3<3<3

I ended up with a 2nd degree tear, but I was able to breastfeed him right away. He's a champ!

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

Last edited by jesridge; January 17th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
January 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a wonderful birth story, I know that back labor can be intense. Glad you were able to get the epidural and it worked. He is a cute little bugger too

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

January 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I love my family!!!
Wow!! What an amazing job you did mama!! Congrats!!
January 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Long time, yoou did amazing. Congrats!
January 10th, 2012, 09:52 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congrats on your little guy!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search