Need help understanding bed sharing

The TTC and Preggo Place

A place for our AP mommies and mommies-to-be to relax and support each other with AP questions/issues for their pregnancies and new babies.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By joonzgurl
  • 1 Post By Jule'sMomInOR

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The TTC and Preggo Place LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Pageturner
Can someone tell me or point me in the direction of the benefits of bed sharing? I'm afraid I'd roll over on him. He is going to sleep in our room in the crib, but I just want to know because I see so many people raving about bed sharing and it seems dangerous to me...
July 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Do you mean bedsharing, or co-sleeping? Co-sleeping can mean a lot of different things- a bassinet in the bedroom with you, a side-carred crib, not always right in the bed.

Here is a link for you- these are scientific benefits based on scientific studies.

Scientific Benefits of Co-Sleeping | Ask Dr. Sears®

To sum it up
- Baby's breathing is regulated
- Mom gets more rest
- Reduces risk of SIDS

To quote from the article: Popular media has tried to discourage parents from sharing sleep with their babies, calling this worldwide practice unsafe. Medical science, however, doesn’t back this conclusion. In fact, research shows that co-sleeping is actually safer than sleeping alone.

To be totally honest, what you feel and think now will change after the baby comes on so many levels. I know it did for me drastically. I never imagined I would bedshare, allow the baby to self wean from breastfeeding, etc, but that is the direction I am going.
HappyHippy and alittlelost like this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
July 5th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We bed-shared with my DD from the time she was born until she turned 10ish months old and went into her sidecar crib. I would have thought it would be dangerous, but let me tell you, your mama radar turns on big time and you will be so aware of your LO!

If you're worried you can try one of these:
Amazon.com: The First Years Close and Secure Sleeper: Baby

We had one but only used it for a couple of days because my DD preferred to sleep snuggled up to the boob.

Later we had one of these, but she never used that either:
Amazon.com: Arm's Reach Mini Co-Sleeper Bassinet - Natural: Baby

About the time she outgrew her mini-co-sleeper, we took her regular crib and side-carred it.

There are many documented benefits of co-sleeping, including a reduced risk of SIDs as long as the parents have not had alcohol or drugs, are not obese or taking sleeping pills or other heavy meds. It's something you'll have to figure out when the LO arrives. My plans changed when baby came and yours may also.

In my case, there was NO WAY that tiny, precious little baby was going to sleep in a dark room down the hall where I could not reach out and touch her to make sure she was breathing. It just wasn't happening. I still enjoy co-sleeping and my DD will turn 2 this month.

Good luck!
HappyHippy likes this.

July 8th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Pageturner
Thanks for the info! To answer the first posters question, I was talking about actually having the baby in the bed, like the benefits and dangers of it. We are technically cosleping since the baby will B's in the room with us, I was just curious how bed sharing affects the child.

ThNk u both for the great advice!
September 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a great post and thanks for the links to share with my husband.
September 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believed the hype that bed sharing was dangerous while pregnant. By the time DS was 2 weeks old I was sleeping so little from worrying about him and he was in the room (in an arm's reach at that!). It was hard staying awake while BFing in the middle of the night. We worked on side lying nursing in the middle of the night and he just stopped ever leaving the bed. I plan on cosleeping from the start this time.

I realized during my son's first two weeks that there are safe ways to cosleep and reduce any concerning risks. It is not for every family though!
I bought foam bed bumpers (goes under the fitted sheet) so that DS could sleep on my outside and not between DH and I.
I turned up the heat some and stopped using blankets above my waist.
Kept the pillow away from DS.
We were BFing - risks are higher technically for FF moms.
I am not overweight (not considered safe for morbidly obese).
I never let him sleep in the bed with me if I had been drinking at all the previous hours or was on any medicines (we kept his swing in the bedroom and he would sleep there fine on those rare occasions at night).
My husband was okay with it. He realized that I needed more sleep and bed sharing helped that SO SO MUCH.

ETA: I did find this fascinating. I was majority struggling to stay awake while BFing in the middle of the night.
http://www.bestforbabes.org/booby-tr...rous-behaviors

Last edited by alwayssmile; September 18th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
September 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bed-sharing can be done safely and has many benefits like reduce the risk of SIDs, higher breastfeeding rates, regulate breathing, regulate temperature, closeness and bonding, etc.

I was worried about rolling on baby as I was a deep sleeper. But after I had ds1 I was no longer a deep sleeper and I'm actually a light sleeper now and always know where my children are. I don't put pillows, blankets, toys or anything near baby. If you take medications, drugs, alcohol, smoke or have sleep apnea then it could be dangerous to bed-share. Otherwise if you're a healthy, light sleeper, and follow the steps to safe bed-sharing you can have a great bed-sharing experience.

I've been bed-sharing for 5 straight years. I bed-share until my kids wean, ds1 weaned at 3 years and ds2 is still in bed with me at 2 years and I'm due in Feb with #3 who will also bed-share. I love bed-sharing and getting the benefits from it.
September 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my first baby but I've had other people's little ones in my bed (4 months on up). There's something magical about that first morning smile when they're all sleepy.
July 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We bed share because I get soooo much more sleep and it is great for night nursing my son is 11 months and still wakes between 1-6 times a night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search