Fitteds?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Making your own cloth diapers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to try making a fiited diaper today, but I'm not really sure where to start. Silly, I know, since I've made plenty of other diapers, but I'm used to pockets with no built in soaker or anything.

I have flannel and mircofiber on hand, so I'm just planning to use those. How many total layers of flannel should I use? How many layers of microfiber?

I was picturing 3 layers of flannel with 2 layers of microfiber sewn to the middle piece of flannel. Would that work? Would the microfiber go on the inside of the hidden flannel or the outside (meaning, would there be one piece of flannel between his butt and the microfiber or two)?

March 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
as long as there's one piece of flannel between his skin and the MF, you'll be fine How many layers you want to use depends on how heavy of a wetter your son is

For Kaiden's fitted's, they are 3 layers of cotton (twill or flannel) before I fold that front flap down to the inside, and depending on how I fold it, I can get an additional 2 layers - or 4 layers of cotton if I fold it twice - for a total of 5 - 7 layers of cotton. AND I stuff the pocket with a quad-folded MF cloth folded in half again, wrapped inside a 3-layer hemp insert, so 8 layers MF and 6 layers Hemp.

Total stuffing directly in the wetness zone: 5 - 7 layers cotton + 8 layers MF + 6 layers hemp for a grand total of 19 - 21 layers! but Kaiden is 2 with heavy wetting toddler flooding pee. And I usually only really stuff the wetness zone, under his butt there's only the 3 layers cotton. I find that the wetness goes THRU faster than it spreads out in the fabric, which is why I do it that way. It keeps the whole outside of the fitted pretty dry.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by greenchild; March 15th, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
March 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That helps a ton! Thank you! Because I have a snap press, I'm planning to make these at least somewhat adjustable (I never expect anything to be truly OSFA, KWIM?). Since DS1 was in sposies, I never really thought about thickness or how many layers, etc before. And since I'm still new to using a lot of these materials, I don't how absorbent they really are.

March 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MF holds a lot, but it does have a lifespan. Kaiden's are just about done for. They hold, but they are not fluffy anymore.

cotton is pretty absorbant, and the upside is that it's pretty cheap at JoAnn Fabrics, especially when you have coupons . Bamboo and hemp are more expensive per yard, but you get a lot more per yard too. But those are pretty much order online only, then you pay shipping on top of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search