What machine do you use?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Making your own cloth diapers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
BoysOfSummer's Avatar Happily Crazy :)
I'm looking for(still) a machine preferably under $200 that can handle making diapers and quilts. Anyone have a machine in that range that is strong enough to do somewhat heavy sewing?
March 28th, 2011, 06:32 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help. I use a temperamental 35 year old Kenmore. We have a little love/hate relationship, but I can't bring myself to get rid of her!

In your price range, I would look at a Brother, Singer or Janome. Don't worry about a bunch of fancy stitches, you really don't need them. Research and read reviews. I think there are several options in that range.

March 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would advise against a singer, and also a brother in that price range. They just aren't good quality, and can't handle more than a few thin layers. You'll find it jamming into the bobbin, or breaking needles because they will hit the plate below.

Kenmore is re-badged other machines, so if you can do your research and figure out which it is you can get a better deal than buying it with the brand name. I've had good luck with janome sergers, they are good home machines. Overstock.com has a selection of machines, and great coupons.

I find the Bernette by Bernina's to be better in that price range. You might also check craigslist and any sewing repair shops in your area for a used Bernina or Pfaff. They have 20-30 year motors in them, so a 10 year old one is still going to have plenty of life.

Ditto on choosing one with the least stitches, choose quality over quantity. Good luck!
March 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the advice! There are some on sale that were 400 now 200 I'm gonna look around and see what I can find
March 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I second the Janome's. My quilting grandma recommended them to me, she LOVED hers and I've been very happy with mine! I had a cheapie $200 White before that and that dang piece of crap jammed all. the. time. Hated sewing with it.

Granted, my Janome was a $600 machine, but I only paid approx $200 for it. I waited for a really good sale and got trade in value on my old machine on top of it.
March 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a really fancy Janome Memory craft machine, it has all the bells and whistles (I was given it when I was a teenager from my grandma who was upgrading, who UPGRADES from a 2000$ machine!?) I love it, always have. It is more then adequate..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
March 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
My machine is a brother and i love the thing. I had a white sewing machine before it and it couldn't go through any layers at all.
March 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I bought a Singer Heavy Duty 4411.
My first attempt ever pretty much sucked, but I'll get better.
March 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have a 10 year old basic Singer that was $100 at Walmart when I bought it. My mom's old Singer from the 60s finally bit the dust in the middle of my sewing project for my final high school exit project at 10pm the night before it was due, so I got what they had. It's lasted through quite a few projects since then, especially now that I am sewing weekly.

Last edited by QueenCrafty; March 30th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
March 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had really good luck with my $80 Brother's machine from Walmart. I hadn't planned on sewing diapers when I got the machine, but it has worked out just fine. Does everything I need it to. Not sure if it would handle quilting as I know nothing about that.
March 31st, 2011, 04:06 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
I use a singer that is probably 10 years old. It's a very basic machine and that's why I love it. I had bought a new machine a couple years ago(I forget the model, I want to say it was a Project Runway one with digital designs that would stitch out) Anyway, I hated it, I felt like I had no control with the computerized stitches etc.
In this case, I prefer basic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search