Altering design of AIO's?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Making your own cloth diapers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
So I want to make some all in one's but I don't want the plastic on the outside, I would rather have soft flannel. Is there anything wrong with putting an additional layer of flannel on the outside so the PUL is actually in between layers? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
May 2nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The problem with this (and I learned the hard way) is that you end up with wicking around the edges. Where all of the material is touching, some of the moisture transfers to the flannel. I think next time, I may try sewing the flannel to a piece of PUL with the flannel just a little smaller than the PUL. I may end up doing two layers of PUL since the outer one will have holes in it.

May 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Or you'd have to use FOE, I think then you might be okay, as long as the PUL was just a bit wider than the flannel.

I like to use fleece on the outer with a PUL inner. Granted I made them into covers, not an AIO but you could make them an AIO with a fleece outer and PUL sandwiched in there. I haven't had any leaks yet doing it this way

They also make fleece edging, they have 1/2" wide in white at Joann Fabrics. I haven't tried it out yet since I don't like to zigzag stitch over the elastic, but it would work
May 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
Not only the issue with the wicking on the flannel, the flannel will typicall wear out and get fuzzy before the pul would ever wear out. Are you opposed to using a poly fabric? That wouldn't wick.

March 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran
Would a cotton outer with pul in between wick as well? By poly do you mean polyester? Would it need to be 100% polyester? Sorry I'm a newb lol

Thanks to alethia for my super cute siggy!
March 16th, 2012, 05:31 AM
It may wick. When I use cotton outer fabric with hidden pul, I spray the cotton fabric with water proofing spray before I sew it together. And make sure you use polyester thread only becuase that will def. wick.
QUOTE=pristineserendipity;25762294]Would a cotton outer with pul in between wick as well? By poly do you mean polyester? Would it need to be 100% polyester? Sorry I'm a newb lol[/QUOTE]

March 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran
Awesome tips thank you! Didn't realize they had spray that I could use. Hopefully I can find it around here

March 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM
[Not sure where you live, but they carry it in the hunting/sporting section of Walmart. It has a bright orange cap:")QUOTE=pristineserendipity;25768347]Awesome tips thank you! Didn't realize they had spray that I could use. Hopefully I can find it around here[/QUOTE]

March 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, 100% polyester fabric would be perfect.
March 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Veteran
Thanks I'll have to check my Walmart! Does anyone know if it's safe to use while pregnant?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search