We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hello all! I'm Carolyn. I'm currently 23 weeks along with our first baby and we are going for cloth diapering all the way! Reasons we are cloth diapering: I am really cheap and can't justify spending $2000 over 2 or more years for disposable diapers; I have been sewing for over 25 years (since I was 5) so I have the skills to make my own; it was good enough for my mom, so it works for me; we want to do EC and cloth diapers should be easier to remove quickly and put back on (disposables may not allow for removal).
My first foray into cloth diaper making is to make pre-folds. I decided to make them out of jersey knit so I went to Goodwill and bought 3 jersey knit sheets for $3 each (did I mention I was cheap?) The first night I cut out a dozen newborn sized prefolds, or 4 of each color. I added one layer of cotton batting to the overlapped fabrics so the finished diaper is a 2-6-2 configuration (instead of the standard 4-8-4--however birdseye fabric is thinner than cotton jersey). I had to cut out each piece individually while kneeling on the floor, so to my embarrassment 12 diapers took a total of 6 hours over 2 days.
My second dozen was identical to the first, but in a size small. I was able to cut these 2 dozen diapers out of my 3 sheets easily with a bunch of fabric left over to make cloth wipes with. Happily, the 2nd dozen took less time, maybe 5 hours. Outside of my labor the total cost for my diaper stash so far is $9, not counting the $15 for the cotton batting of which I've so far only used a tiny amount).
My next steps are to buy some more sheets in different colors and make a couple more dozen in each size. My plan is to use mostly prefolds in fitted covers. I could make the fitted covers but at this point in my journey I'm not ready to tackle snaps and/or velcro and the elastic. I put a bunch of covers on my registry
And now the pics:
my first dozen newborn prefolds!
Our cat Jaden is helping make diapers!
Two diapers flat, the difference in size isn't very much!
Each diaper got embroidered with the size and the pounds. Plus they are color coded based on GMD's standards for quick sorting.
If you are going to use cotton batting, you might want to add some stitch lines across it; if not it could disintegrate or crumble inside the diaper. It should say on the packaging but I think most cottons should have stitching every 3-4" If you want to skip the extra stitching you could look into cutting up old terry towels (strip them of old detergent first). No extra stitching and more absorbent than the batting will be!