What snap pliers do you use?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Making your own cloth diapers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Marika. I'm new to cloth diapering and have started to try and make my own. I bought the snap pliers and snaps from KAM snaps and made two diapers that stink. Either the snaps don't push down centered or if the snap works, they arn't strong enough to stay snapped on my daughter.

After doing some troubleshooting research I think it might be that my prongs are too long for what I'm doing. I got the long ones because that's what they recommended for diapers. I'm going through 1 layer cotton and add a layer of PUL for support.

Anyone have any experience with this?

April 12th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Veteran
I use KAM pliers and snaps, but the regular prong ones. It took me some trial and error (mostly error!) to realize just how hard I need to push down, and sometimes after I've applied them I still take the rubber part off to push down even more.

But yeah, I use the regular length prongs for one layer of cotton and pul. Heck, I successfully use the regular prong ones for going through 5 layers of cotton (4 from a prefold and one cotton print). So it sounds like that might be your problem.

April 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've never used the long prong snaps, even on AIO's going through all the layers. I bet if you try the regular snaps, it will work better.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked

Good thing you're making your own so you'll know how great they are going to be, lol.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
I use the ones from KAM. I want the press though.
April 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by anky2930 View Post
In my opinion diapers are the basic need of every baby and if they are not made of good quality then they can harm your baby in many ways.So my suggestion is that you should use only those diapers which are best in the opinion of experts.
baby diaper
Don't go spouting lies! And who are these "experts"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbaked View Post

Good thing you're making your own so you'll know how great they are going to be, lol.
HAHA! Exactly!
April 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use the regular length prongs. I really didn't like using snap pliers, I could never get the thing centered and ended up with lots of snaps that didn't work, or I hit it just enough off center that I damaged the snap. LOVE my Kamsnaps snap press though, that thing is all sorts of awesome!!!
April 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anky2930 View Post
In my opinion diapers are the basic need of every baby and if they are not made of good quality then they can harm your baby in many ways.So my suggestion is that you should use only those diapers which are best in the opinion of experts.
baby diaper

ummmm . . . I think you're going to need to be a lot more specific on which diapers going to "harm your baby in many ways" and exactly who those "experts" are rather than just sharing a link to an online diaper store . . . really, what better "expert" is there than the mom that uses the diapers on her child?
April 24th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
New here but I use the pliers that Joann's sells. I've only had to replace a few snaps though and had no problems. I also use the snaps on other crafts. I havent attemped to make my own diaper yet though.

May 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use the KAM snaps and pliers. I just use the regular prong ones though, not the long ones.
I would love to get a snap press. The pliers have been killing me lately.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search