We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
DH and I have been talking, and we're thinking about getting an SUV. Right now we have two Audis, a Volkswagen and a GMC truck. The Audis are our daily drivers, the VW is a show car, and the truck sits most of the time. We're thinking about selling my Audi and the truck, and buying an SUV. Neither of us wants to sell the truck, but if we don't we'll have to take out a loan and we don't want to do that.
The question is, should I be nervous about buying a car too soon? If I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be getting an SUV. So what if something happens to the baby, I will be wishing I hadn't bought something yet. Then again, the next couple months is prime time to sell the cars, we don't want to be selling them in the middle of winter, expecially the truck because it has a plow and now is when guys are looking for plow trucks.
Sorry for the long post, I'm just being a nervous nelly. At what point would you feel comfortable buying a new car for baby?
Here is my question... why do you have to give up any of your cars just yet? I mean, if you can fit a car seat in the Audi and a stroller in the trunk, then why not keep the cars until next year and THEN decide if you want to make a switch. You baby will only be 6 months by this time next year. You can take the 6 months to see if you really want an SUV or if you are good with what you have. See if you can work with the Audi with the baby. That way, you won't feel like you are making an impulse decision.
I agree with Mel. I would wait until this time next year before making any decisions. This will give you plenty of time to really think about it plus you can see how it will the Audi will work with getting the baby in and out of it. If it works fine, then I see no point in getting yourself into something that you may ultimately regret later on. We have and SUV and absolutely love it. We needed more leg room than our car would allow though. If my husband wasn't 6'5" we would probably still have our car.
Thanks ladies. My concern with the Audi is that it's 7 years old and has 102,000 miles on it. Although it doesn't have any issues now, I would hate to see it break down with the baby in the back. And yeah, my husband is 6'3" so he would probably enjoy the extra leg room too! But maybe I will wait a while, I'm sure the car seat and stroller will fit in my car just fine for now.
I agree with the pp as long as you do your regular maintenence and don't ignore any changes in your vehicles performance (ie noises, shakes, etc) your car should be fine. Also if you wait until next year than you can start putting away any extra cash to make buying an SUV that much easier.
Jessi, wife to Aaron (10/02/04), mom to Madilyn (4/01/09) and Lyla (02/01/12)
I drive an Audi A4. I got a chicco travel set with the ginormous stroller when dd was born. The car seat fit, but no one can sit in the front seat. The stroller did not fit; however, there are definitely smaller strollers out there. This one is a mammoth. It wouldn't even fit in the trunk.
Dd is now about 15 months old and still fits rear facing (and is big for her age). When this one is born she will have to go forward facing behind the drivers seat so the new baby can rear face behind the passenger seat. At that point, no one else will be able to fit in my car.
I think you have another couple of years or more on the vehicles you have, if you want to stretch it out.
DH is a certified mechanic and always makes sure my car is in perfect condition. Really, it looks and drives brand new, at 102,000 miles it's just getting broken in. I'm leaning towards keeping it a little longer, and also keeping the truck since neither of us want to sell it. After baby comes I'll reassess the situation. Thanks for talking some sense into me!