Finally!! Kassidy Layne's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
angiemoffett's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

We arrived at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center at 7:30am on Tuesday, November 1, 2005 and checked in to Labor and Delivery as scheduled. They promptly took me to my room and had me change into a gown. Shortly thereafter, my nurse came in to the room to begin my IV and ask medical history questions. Dr. Poag was right behind her to check me and give orders on how to proceed with the induction. When she was finished, we were told I was 70-80% effaced, dilated to a good 2, I would be receiving a 50mg dosage of cytotec as soon as possible, and she would be back to break my water at noon.

By 11am, Dr. Poag called and found out that I had only progressed to a 3-4. Because I was not as far as she had originally anticipated, she decided to break my water earlier. By 11:30, my water had been broken, and my epidural had been inserted. That's right. I GOT MEDS THIS TIME!! TGFA's!! (Thank God for Anesthesiologists!!)

Anyway, back to the story. From 11:30am to 2pm I progressed to a 4 and was 90% effaced. At this time, we felt it appropriate to talk my many visitors into going to get something to eat. Besides, it would be A WHILE before anything else happened. Right? So they all left for Hooters.

At 2:15pm I was checked and showed to be at a 5. At 2:30pm, the nurse came back and said she saw activity on her screen with my contractions that said she should check me again. So she did, and needless to say, I was at a 6. While she was in my room, some decelerations were noticed with the baby's heart so she had me turn onto my side and I was given oxygen.

At 2:45pm, my nurse returned yet again with news that she had noticed even more activity on her screen about my contractions and I needed to be checked again. Sure enough, I had moved on up to a 7. The baby's heart rate had improved, but there were still decelerations, so they had me switch sides and continue to stay on the oxygen. (when the epidural finally kicked in and my body relaxed, I started dilating quickly and they believed in the midst of it all, Kassidy had rolled and was on her cord)

A 4 to a 7 with 90% effacement in 45 minutes. Hmm. I felt that was enough to call my visitors at Hooters and let them know it was time to come on back if they wanted to be there when a baby was delivered. (Served them right for going without me!!)

At 3:15pm, my visitors returned with lunch for my husband and lots of anticipation for what was about to happen. By 3:30pm they were asked to step outside so that I could be checked. I was at an 8. They stayed outside for a while and right as they were starting to come back in the room about 20 minutes later, they were asked by the nurse to hold off for a few more minutes while I was checked yet again. This time, it took forever! As it turned out, I was at a 9 1/2 with just a small rim left and Dr. Poag was trying to get rid of it. She had me push with a contraction to see if I could move the baby. Then she said, ''Oh Angie! You are definitely ready to push!'' This HUGE grin came across Bill's face. He looked all giddy and he went to let the family know that they couldn't come back in until there was a baby born! All the while, the nurse and Dr. Poag were breaking down my bed, getting supplies together, getting surgical scrubs on, and talking to Bill and I.

They asked me if I knew whether or not I was having a contraction. I could tell while my legs were still down on the bed, but when they put my feet up on the foot rests (they didn't make me use the stirrups) I was having a hard time. Man that was an awesome epidural! Love that man who gave it to me. HA HA! They began telling me when I was having a contraction and I pushed through three counts of ten for each one.

From the time I originally told them I felt pressure until the time she was born, it took a total of 10 minutes. All together I used 3 contractions and went through about 6 ten counts. Before I knew it, there was a 7lb 12oz squirming angel laying on my chest! She made such a small amount of noise that she scared her daddy. He kept asking the pedi nurse if she was ok. Of course she was! She's just a quiet baby. While the nurse was still working on her, daddy went out and grabbed Kelsea so that she could see her new little sister.

Kassidy scored an 8-9 on her apgar and as soon as they had her weighed, measured, cleaned, and happy they gave her back to us. We got to keep her for an hour before she had to go to the nursery for monitoring for 3 hours. Everyone played pass the baby after Bill and I used up the first 30 minutes or so. That first hour went by soooo fast. When it was all said and done, all I continued to say was how dang easy it was this time. Over and over again. It makes such a huge difference to have drugs! Bill and I were both able to "enjoy" the experience due to the lack of pain.

Now, here we are with this gorgeous angel. I seriously think she is spoiling us more than we are spoiling her...

November 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to playwithlights Send a message via Yahoo to playwithlights
awww nice story angie.

</div>
November 20th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Oh how sweet! Someone read it!

Knew I could always count on my trusty friend Sue! (Even if you just skipped through and added a comment! LOL!)

November 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
HavensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HavensMommy
WOW...what an awesome birth experience, it sounds like Angie! I'm so glad it went so well for you! Kassidy is a DARLING little girl!!
November 23rd, 2005, 07:27 PM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was a nice story! About time you posted it!
November 24th, 2005, 05:39 AM
LOL! It's taken me a while to get back in the swing of things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search