Aspen's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Larkin121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, let's see... at 4am on Sunday I awoke feeling that I might need to pee. Before I could get out of bed, something started trickling out and I ran to the potty, thinking I must be losing bladder control these days! lol. Sat down on the toilet and a pretty good gush of fluid leaked out. I got really nervous and excited, but I was unsure if this was it. I changed undies and headed back to bed. but before I got there I lost another gush. So I woke Brett up and told him I thought my water had broken. Then I called the consulting nurse, who told me I had to call L&D right away because I am Group B positive. L&D said to come on in to see if this was it.

I arrived at about 5:30 and I had to wait to be evaluated until 7am. At that point they said that my water had definitely broken and that I needed an IV started. My contractions started on the drive there, and they started becoming more regular and painful. I felt them only in my back...not a good sign. I was allowed breakfast, though, which was nice, so I fueled up early on. I was 2cm and 80% effaced at that point.

The contractions kept coming stronger, but still only in my back. They were coming every 3 minutes or so, but they were irregular in length. The doctor told me that might be a sign that the baby is in the wrong position.

By about 1pm I was having trouble dealing with the pain. The doctor checked me and said I was at 3cm, but that my contractions were so strong that it would be fine to get in the water. OH... I wasn't going to be able to do the birth in the water...forgot to mention that...because my fluid had meconium in it. But I was still allowed to labor in the water. It felt sooooooooooo good. I sat in there about an hour before trying to do without it for a bit. Soon it became much harder... iended up asking for a dose of nubaine and then got back in the tub. WOW it felt wonderful! I repeated that step 3 times over 6 or 7 hours...i finally reached 5 cm at around 3pm... By 6pm the doctors told me I needed to have an epidural to relax my pelvis, because this baby's head was in the wrong position and he wasn't able to come down. I really wanted to go natural but they pretty much told me I had no chance without this. So I consented... let me tell you...the epidural did wonders for me. lol. As much as I wanted to go naturally, I was amazed by how much pain was in my back. The few contractions I felt in the front were totally barable by breathing, but most were in my back and were crazy amounts of pain. So after the epidural, they had me change positions a bunch of times. During that time, the baby's heartrate dropped a few times after I had a big contraction. They kept an eye on it... but at midnight they came in and said I needed a C-Section because the baby was getting too stressed and was having too many decelerations. He had moved down in the pelvis but I was still at 5cm. I just started bawling... this was the last thing I had wanted. I'd gone from planning a natural waterbirth to an epidural and a c-section!! I was very afraid, worried about my baby, scared to death of being awake for a surgery.

They immediately prepped me and rolled me into the operating room. By 12:45 I was prepped and ready to go, numbed and all that, but still crying. I could feel the little test pricks they give to see ifyou are numbed all the way and it freaked me out. I guess they gave me a shot of something, because the rest it hazy... Brett told me they gave me a shot and I got really loopy. My baby was born at 1:05 am, but I don't remember it... I don't remember him crying or anything. All I remember is Brett saying over and over "Look at your baby, look at your baby" as he was weighed on the scale. I started crying with joy, but I really can't remember much else. I kissed the baby and then Brett went with him down to the nursery or wherever they take the babies. I have no recollection of the next hour of being sewn up and taken back to my room. I do vaguely remember feeding my baby for the first time and that my family was there to greet me.

Later, they bathed my baby, then wrapped him up and put him in bed next to me. They said he needed my body warmth to keep his regulated. I was very nervous about holding my newborn all night while being drugged up... I only slept a tiny bit... and woke up for good by 7am. (went to bed at 4:30ish). I am still pretty sad that it turned out in c-section, but I am so in love with my baby!

He was born at 9lbs 10oz and all the nurses were amazed. Nobody had a clue that I was carrying a baby that big! They said that his head was sort of diagnol in me and that it was too big in that position to come down (14 1/2 inches around his head)! He was sooo chubby and adorable!

I spent the next two days in the hospital, dealing with the pain and with learning how to care for my little guy. He lost a lot of weight in 2 days because I was not producing milk yet and colostrum was not enough. We go back to the doctor tomorrow to see if he is doing better in the weight area. In the mean time, I miss my fat baby! lol! He looks so much smaller now...

I am so in love with Aspen. He is so cute and so loving, though he does get extremely fussy with screaming when he is hungry. (So sad, 'cause I can't give him anymore from my breasts!) All in all, I count it as a bad birthing experience, but with a wonderful result.

November 25th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Erin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry about how things transpired, but it was definitely a wonderful result. I hope you can soon make peace with things not going at all how you envisioned - you have so little time off and should relish every moment with Aspen. Try not to let your disappointment cloud this time with him.

I hope you get to feeling better quickly and that you have enough help.

Congratulations on your baby boy - he'll be fat again in no time!
November 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM
katra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to katra
Popping in from January, I'm sorry to hear that you did not have the birth experience you were hoping for. I too, am hoping to go natural and have a fear of something similar to that happening to me. I am so happy to hear that you have a healthy, happy baby boy and wish you all the luck in the world!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

November 30th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I too am sorry that your birth experience was so different than what you wanted/planned... but Aspen is a healthy little boy, and that's what matters! Congratulations!!!
December 1st, 2005, 03:42 AM
Veteran
I am sorry that things did not go the way you planned. Things were different for me as well, but the little one is sooo worth it! Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search