The birth of Alexander Carter

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to chelle2k
I went in at 8pm on Mon the 21st for my induction. I was started on Cervadil and put on the monitor. The nurse, Jennifer, hooked me up to the monitor and then asked if I felt any contractions. I was crampy but didn't know that was a contraction so I told her no. SHe said..."well, you're having one". So right off the bat I realized I had been in labor for 24 hours at that point because I'd been having those cramps since Sunday evening.

DH and I watched the monitor a while and some TV, then he decided to get some sleep. I asked for some sleeping pills so I could try and get some rest. Jennifer brought me some Ambien, and I tried to sleep. I only ended up sleeping for about 2 hours that entire night though because the bed was so horribly uncomfortable.

At 7am the next morning, Jennifer removed my cervidil and let me off the monitor for a little bit. It was so nice to get up off that bed and move around a little. Around 7:30 I was hooked back up to the monitor and my cervix was checked. I was only at 40% effecement. I'd reversed in progress...12 days before that I was 50% at the docs office. The new nurse started my pitocin IV.
Every few hours. my cervix was checked. My effecement was progressing, but my dialation wasn't making much progress.

Around noon, I was finally dialited JUST enough for the doctor to break my water. I was having quite a bit of pain by this time, but the contractions didn't hurt NEARLY as bad as her breaking my water. DH said she used her finger with a little rubber thing on the end of it to break it. I don't know if that's why it hurt or not, but it hurt so bad I cried. Because of the pain I was in, they gave me an IV pain injection that made me really really high. It didn't really help the pain that much, but it made me soo loopy I didn't give a crap about the pain.

At that time I was ready for my epidural. They came in and got me ready for the epidural. As weird as it was, my epidural ALSO hurt a lot, but they got it in and soon I felt MUCH more relaxed.

About 2 hours after having my water broke, I was finally dialated past 1...I was at 2 and 70% effaced. The baby was still at -2 station. At 4:45 I was at a really tight 3cm...basically doc still considered it 2.5. Baby was still at -2 station. My doctor said we'd wait until 7:45 pm and see what was going on. If I made progress we'd keep going. Since the baby was so high up, if I hadn't made much progress we'd go to surgery at that time.

During those 3 hours, I had the internal contraction monitor which showed my contractions were plenty strong enough. In fact, they said I was having REALLY strong ones (hehe loved not feeling a thing). When 7:45 rolled around I had my fingers crossed. I was THIRSTY and soooo hungry, but was told if we went to Csection I couldnt have food or water until the next morning. Unfortunately, I was STILL at a "very tight 3" when doc came back so she ordered me to surgery.

They got me prepped, put me on a very very strong epidural, got DH in the room, and got started. They used my existing vertical scar that I had from when I had appendicitis and cystic ovaries as a teenager. The doc felt she could smooth it out and make it look better if we used it.

The doctors had a really hard time getting Alex out. He was so high up, it was even difficult for them to reach him with the C-section. But, at 8:17pm on the 22nd of November, my little pumpkin was finally born weighing 9 pounds and measuring 20inches long. He has a beautiful head of dark brown hair.

The surgery caused me to have a LOT of backed up gas and constipation. I was in SO much pain on Thursday from the gas and constipation I couldn't even hold the baby. I ended up switching to bottle feeding because of it, and I'm so sad about it....I really liked breastfeeding. Thursday night, my nurse gave me a suppository and I finally was able to have a BM and was able to move gas through my body instead of in circles through my stomach again.

Anyway, enough from me, sorry I typed so much lol!
November 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Awwww thanks for sharing you story!! I know things didn't go as planned but you'll forget how bad the bad stuff was very soon and of course you know its all worth it now!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
November 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had such a rough experience. Congrats on your healthy little boy, though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search