Thatcher Holden's overdue arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry this is so long... I typed it up in Word so that I would have a written account for my own sake, to put with my pregnancy mementos... If I had more energy, I would edit out the boring stuff so that you guys wouldn't have to read so much! But, just skip around as desired! Here goes...

Sunday, 13 November 2005
I started having contractions around 2 AM, while hanging out on JM. (What else would I be doing at that time?!) I’d been having contractions nightly, and they never progressed to anything, so I ignored them. Also, I didn’t have any back pain, and everything I had read said that “real” contractions radiated to the back. (Mine never did, though.)

I got in bed around 3 AM, and realized that the contractions were getting pretty strong—stronger than ever before. I tossed and turned until 5:30 AM, then finally fell asleep for about 90 minutes, but woke up every time a contraction hit. They were about 9-11 minutes apart at this point, and pretty painful, but definitely still bearable.

The contractions continued all day, but never got to a point where they were consistently under 5 minutes apart, so I didn’t want to go to the hospital. By evening, I was in severe pain, and having to “breathe through” the contractions, as learned from my childbirthing video. I truly hadn’t expected to use those breathing techniques, but I did. I had to.

Around 11 PM, I couldn’t walk or talk through the contractions, and they were lasting about 70 seconds each. But, they still weren’t consistently spaced less than 5 minutes apart. They ranged from 3-9 minutes. Thatcher finally called the hospital, though, because he felt like it was time for me to go in. He talked to the L&D nurse for a minute, then gave me the phone.

The nurse was kind of rude. When she asked how long I’d been having contractions, and I told her 21 hours, she actually laughed at me, and said “21 hours?” as if I was lying. Then she said, “Is this your first pregnancy?” as if to indicate that I must be a crazy, paranoid first-timer. I wanted to scream, “I’m 7 days overdue, and I’ve never once called L&D, I’ve never come in; I’ve never even called my doctor’s office to ask a question! I am not somebody who freaks out all the time!”

Anyway, she ended up telling me that my contractions needed to be less than 5 minutes apart. She said, “You’re welcome to come in, but if they’re more than 5 minutes apart, and you’re not dilated to 4 cm, we’ll let you stay an hour and then we’ll send you home.”

So, I tried to wait awhile longer, but within an hour, even the heavy breathing wasn’t helping me handle the contractions, so we headed for the hospital. My contractions were sometimes right on top of each other. Other times, they were 7 or 8 minutes apart. The 30 minute drive was agony… It’s awful to have a contraction while you’re strapped into a seatbelt!

Monday, 14 November 2005
We got to the hospital at 12:30 AM. They put me in triage, and the nurse (who I had spoken to on the phone) came to check me. She reminded me that she would send me home if I didn’t meet the requirements. When I mentioned that I had been dilated to less than 1 cm at my appt 4 days earlier, she kind of laughed again, as if that indicated that I still wouldn’t be dilated. She checked me, though, and luckily I was between 3-4 cm, 100% effaced, and my contractions were occurring fairly closely together (although they still varied from 3-7 minutes apart) and were rather intesne. So she said, “You can stay.”

Gee, thanks!

She hooked me up to an IV, because I was positive for GBS. (The IV didn't hurt at all.) She started my antibiotics and fluids, then took me to the L&D room. She did another internal exam at 1:45 AM, and I was 5 cm dilated. She gave me a dose of Stadol via the IV. This made me extremely woozy and tired, and the room was spinning. I loved it. This was when I asked Thatch for a pen and paper, so I could start taking notes of my L&D, so I would have details to give you JM ladies! LOL

The Stadol helped for about 10 minutes, then the pain came back. I was panting like a dog to get through the contractions.

At 3:30 AM, I had another internal exam, and was dilated to 6 cm. I wanted the epidural, and I wanted it immediately. I went to the bathroom after the internal, and saw that I was finally having bloody show.

At 4:30 AM, I finally got the epidural. It was a painless procedure. I felt a very minor pin prick as the anesthesiologist gave me the numbing shot, but that was all. I couldn’t even feel when he inserted the catheter into my spine. It was wonderful! The foley catheter was inserted at this time, too.

Side note: The anesthesiologist told me that I had scoliosis, which I'd never been told before. He said that sometimes the spine curves during pregnancy, to accommodate the baby, and it can return to it's straight position after pregnancy. Interesting.

I had my fourth internal at this point, and was still at 6 cm, but this time, she said I was a “good” 6 cm. Apparently earlier the opening had been oval shaped, but now it was round.

The epidural kicked in, and was the best thing in the world. Next time I do this, I’m getting the epidural earlier. I don’t know why I waited till I was 6 cm, and had been laboring for so long, to get it. It was wonderful, and made the rest of the labor so peaceful and enjoyable.

Around 6 AM, my contractions were still intermittent, and weren’t occurring less than 5 minutes apart on a regular basis. (They were anywhere from 2-6 minutes apart. They consistently lasted over 60 seconds, though.) So, the doctor broke my water. I was 6-7 cm dilated.

Around 7 AM, my parents arrived.

At 8:30 AM, the on-call doctor—my regular doctor was on vacation—checked me, and I was fully dilated, but not ready to push--the baby wasn't low enough yet. He told me that it felt like I had a small baby. I made sure that he knew just how great I felt, and how much I loved the epidural. I called my sister and my best friend to let them know how great the epidural was, as well. I was very happy at this point! I wanted to tell the world how great I felt!

At 8:50 AM, I thought I felt some pressure down low, so I had the nurse check me. (Luckily, I had a different nurse at this point, and she was wonderful. I loved her.) She said that I still wasn’t ready to push. That was the only time I felt pressure down low.

At 9:30 AM, she checked me again, and had me try to push a couple times. I was an awful pusher, so we decided to wait a little longer to let the baby come down a bit lower in the birth canal.

At 10 AM, it was time to push. I pushed through every contraction, for 3 counts of 10. I got better at pushing. At this point, the nurse and my husband were the only other people in the room. (My parents stepped into the hall while I pushed.) It was dim in the room, and quiet… So much more relaxing than I had expected. It was really nice.

At 11:30, the doctor came back in, and said that my baby would arrive soon. However, he said I needed a small episiotomy. The nurse had been giving me the peri massage with oil, but I still wasn’t stretched out enough.

So, the doctor gave me a small snip. My parents returned to the room, and stood up by my head. (My dad covered his eyes. He wanted to be there when the baby arrived—and I wanted him there—but he didn’t want to see me in all my naked glory, LOL.)

After the episiotomy, I started pushing during my next contraction, and the doctor—who I loved, by the way; I forgot to mention that—Anyway, the doctor said, “With your next contraction, you’re going to push this baby out! You’re going to meet your baby! He’s going to come with your next contraction! Give me a good push!”

This was when my happy tears started flowing. I couldn’t stop them. I couldn’t believe I was about to meet my baby boy.

Sure enough, with my next contraction, my next big push… The head came out. One more little push, and Thatcher Holden arrived. It was 11:58 AM. He was 6 lbs 12 oz; 20.5 inches long; 12.25 inch head circumference. He was perfect in every way.

The nurse laid him on my chest, and I fell in love.

November 26th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Erin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a pretty cool narrative you have of the experience to keep.

I can't believe the size of his head!!!! It's so small! I thought Wyatt's was small at 13.5 inches. My other 2 were 14.5 inches.

I can't believe that nurse was so b!tchy to you! So condescending!

I can't believe that your Dad was in the room when he was born. Even if he's not looking I would still be way uncomfortable!

Let's see,... what else can't I believe?!?

Reading your story made me smile. Sounds like you had a pretty good experience.

Congratulations!
November 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Here's what I can't believe..... you were fully dialated for an HOUR AND A HALF before you got to pushing??? Dannnnnnng!! I wouldn't have been that patient lol ... I'd have been pushing like crazy whether they said I could or not LOL!!

AWESOME story Anne!!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
November 28th, 2005, 09:58 PM
HavensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HavensMommy
You have A WONDERFUL way with words Anne!

Sounds like it was a pretty good birth experience aside from the B!thcy nurse!!

Wow... 12.5" head?? Haven's was 14 and his shoulders were 14.5" lol MiniThatch is a tiny guy!
November 29th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rileykidsmom
Quote:
Originally posted by EeyoreMom@Nov 27 2005, 09:02 AM
Here's what I can't believe..... you were fully dialated for an HOUR AND A HALF before you got to pushing??? Dannnnnnng!! I wouldn't have been that patient lol ... I'd have been pushing like crazy whether they said I could or not LOL!!

AWESOME story Anne!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I wasn't even in labor that long! lol But when it was time to push I wanted to push, no waiting here! Great story! Congrats!
November 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
mom2Silas&amp;Aidan's Avatar Super Mommy
Great story! Congratulations!!!
November 30th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Abuot the "waiting to push" thing... My contractions were still helping to push him lower in the birth canal. I couldn't feel any pain, and didn't feel any pressure or urgency to push. Plus, I was scared to push! LOL So, I was more than happy to delay the pushing, b/c I thought it meant that my body would do more of the work on its own, if that makes sense. I wanted to let my contrax push my baby down as low as possible... and then I would only have to push a few times, or so I thought! (WRONG!!!)

And yes, he has a tiny head! At his 8 day appt, he measured at 13.5 inches, so it's growing...

I still can't believe he was so little, considering that he was a week overdue, and I gained 35 lbs during pregnancy. I expected him to be at least 7.5 lbs or so.

November 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
_Rebecca_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great story. It brought tears to my eyes! I loved it. Your little guy sounds perfect. I can't imagine not pushing. Even with the epidural I was pushing each one out. It is amazing how each birth with each pregnancy is so different. Congrats Anne, sounds like becoming a mother was the best thing to ever happen to you.
December 1st, 2005, 04:40 AM
Veteran
Congrats Anne!! He is soo adorable!!
December 5th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to chelle2k
What a wonderful, tearjerker of a birth story. It's beautiful Anne! Congratulations
December 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe you had contractions for so long before going!! I am so glad you had a nice nurse to deliver you and that your epideral worked!!
Thatcher was so little for being overdue.

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!!
December 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
sunshinealyssamichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sunshinealyssamichelle
I'm just now getting around to reading the birth stories and yours was the first one I read. Your story is very easy to read! I'm glad that things went really well for you! And the outcome....who can top that?! COngrats!!!!!!!

Alyssa, Mom to:
Ethan, November 6, 2005
Lexi, August 20, 2007

December 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Super Mommy
CONGRATULATIONS ANNE. I'm glad that things worked out and that you have a precious baby boy!

December 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Sarahmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thats a great story Anne....and Thatcher is sooo sweet!

September 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
KnKMom's Avatar Divorced, working mom
Send a message via Yahoo to KnKMom
Kaeli is exactly 4 days older than Thatcher. They were both born at the exact same time.
November 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM
According to my birth story, I was "panting like a dog" at this time one year ago!

November 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
awww lol

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
March 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
nirvanasmarigold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't realize that Thatcher was the same weight as Eric and I think they were both 8 days late too right? Yeah I thought for gaining 70 lbs he would have been bigger for me right!! I wish I only gained the 35 hehe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search