Julianna's natural birth center birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM
CrunchyMomof3's Avatar Member
Send a message via Yahoo to CrunchyMomof3
I had my weekly midwife appointment on Thursday (9-8-05) where she checked my cervix and said that it was very soft, but not dialated or effaced, although baby was sitting really low. She suggested Andy make daily "deposits" to get things moving along. We took her advice and the next morning I woke up with contractions. They were coming every 5 minutes, but only lasting 20-30 seconds, so Jen (my midwife) told me to wait a little longer. Unfortunately, they slowed way down after a few hours. I was extremely frustrated.

So we did some grocery shopping hoping the walking would speed things back up. Later that evening around 7pm they picked back up and this time were 45-60 seconds long, but only coming 15-20 minutes apart. However, they were getting painful. I decided to go lay down and get some rest around 9:30-10 just in case we had to go in. I had one in bed that was really painful and then all of a sudden they were coming 5 minutes apart. So I called Jen and she told me to come into the birth center.

We woke the kids up and took them to Andy's boss since they were our babysitters. We got to the birth center around 11:20-11:30 after a pretty painful car ride (contractions are not fun in the car). Jen checked my cervix and said I was already a solid 7-8cm!! I was surprised since I was still feeling pretty good. That changed fast, though. They quickly sped up and became VERY painful. I was having trouble breathing through them and was crying between them. Jen tried to give me the antibiotics I needed since I was GBS positive, but couldn’t get the needle in and she didn’t want to keep trying since I was already in so much pain. She explained to me that since the membranes were still intact, the chance of the baby picking up the bacteria was very, very small.

I had Jen, Andy, and the doula that Jen brought along all coaching me through, though and that was very helpful. I found that counterpressure on my lower back and hips and also moaning through the contractions also helped me cope with the pain. I changed position often as the pressure became unbearable. I was getting frustrated because the pressure was excruciating, but I didn't have the urge to push yet. Naeemah (the doula) put me on my hands and knees leaning over the birth ball and it only took a few contrax and then I felt the urge to push.

So they got me up and moved me to the bed and began pushing. Pushing was MUCH more intense than I remembered with Haylee and I was suddenly grateful that I was there in the middle of the night versus the daytime while they were seeing patients because I was vocalizing my pain! Naeemah reminded me to concentrate that screaming energy downward to push my baby out and I tried as the ring of fire became very apparent. During pushing Jen realized that her bag was still intact and it was holding the baby back slightly, so she took a small syringe and poked a hole in the sac which in turn pulled a few of her hairs through it. Jen joked afterward that it looked like she had a highlighting cap on her head where you pull the hairs out of the holes. I pushed for 7 minutes and her head "popped" out and then Jen let Andy take over and he, with her help, delivered her. It was 1:00am on September 10, 2005. They put her right on my stomach and announced that we had a Julianna!! It was so wonderful to have her finally here!!

They encouraged her to breathe as I placed her skin to skin with my chest to keep her warm. She didn’t cry right away, which worried us, but Jen assured us that she was just fine, she was breathing well, she just didn’t want to cry! Jen checked her heart and lungs as she waited for the cord to stop pulsating to cut it. After she cut it, I was feeling the pressure of the placenta, so she gently guided it out and examined it right in front of me as daddy bonded with Julianna (I’d never seen any of my other two placentas). Everything was perfect and I pushed her out and only managed to get a skid mark.

She’s a champion nurser and latched on right away and nursed for 45 minutes right after the birth. She was measured and weighed where we found out that she’s 8lbs. and 19” long (my shortest, but heaviest baby). Even though I’ve concluded that this was definitely my most painful birth, it went beautifully and I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I think it was the perfect birth to end my childbearing years.

~Proud to be a natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, non-vaccinating, slinging, attachment parenting mama!!~</span>
December 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
wow, that is an amazing birth story, congrats on you baby girl!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search