Holly's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM
blessedwithone's Avatar Super Mommy
I was having what were like very bad AF cramps for about 3 weeks, they got really bad by Sunday, October 23, my due date....a very small amout of liquid came out of me in my underwear and I went to bathroom to check out what was happening- nthing more came out, but I called the doctor because it was a clear watery trickle. The doctor told me to go into labor and delivery. I was in triage for three hours and was 2 cm dilated, 90% effaced, but was not in active labor. I was sent home after three hours and a test determined that I was NOT leaking amniotic fluid. I continued to have painful contractions Monday and Tuesday so Colin and I began to time them...they were about 10-20 mins apart at times...I was in SO MUCH pain and was crfying out every time I had a contraction at night so neither DH nor I were getting any sleep...on Tuesday night around 8 pm, we were timing my contractions and they were 5 minutes apart so I called my doctor and went back to L &D. I was still at 2- 2 and a half cm...they had me walk around the ward for and hour and then rchecked but I was still not in labor so I had to walk around AGAIN for another hour- still niothing-so I was sent home only to have abloody show three hours later. We were both so exhausted and the hospital is a half hour away so this time I asked the doctor if we could wait a few hours before coming in.. They said that was fine and we showed up at 8 am...after about an hour in triage, I had dilated to 5 cm. I was in alot of pain so shortly after I was admitted to my room, I got the epidural...after that I felt MUCH better- couldn't feel any pain, it was great- everything from the waist down was numb....after about 3-4 hours after the epi it began to wear off on one side and the pump wasn't helping so anesthesia administered another epi in my spine.. Oh, did I mention that from the time I had my bloody show until I started pushing 17 hours later I was vomiting abput every ten minutes- OMG it was AWFUL--- I was vomiting blood by the end of it...before I got the epi I actually had to get an IV of fluids to get rehydrated from all the vomiting...oh amd the nurses could not get the needle in my vain in my hand- they kept stabbing me and apologizing for it, but they could NOT do it, it was so painful and I hate needles...

Any way, we let Holly slowly descend on her own, the doctors kept coming in and asking me if I had the urge to push yet and I never did, so finally the OB from my office came in and we began pushing....

My waters had been broken artificially and when they did that they found meconium in the fluid so they knew they would have to aspirate Holly right away, before she took her first breathe. They had several of the NICU team com einto the room before my last few pushes. I pushed for an hour total. I began to tear pretty badly and was given a median episiotomy, but I did not feel a thing thanks to the epi. After I finally had Holly's head past my pubic bone they told me that her head would be out with the next contraction and that as soon as her head came I had to stop pushing so they could aspirate her. This part of the birth process did make me nervous- not knowing if she would breathe/swallow the meconium contaminated fluid. As soon as hey said "STOP!"' I stopped pushing and they aspirated Holly...she was fine but she did not cry right away, she just looked all around the room- so sweet! Holly was born at 9:31 pm on October 26! She was taken to the examinig table right away to be examined by the NICU team and to have her lungs suctioned- then she had her Apgar- an 8/9 score and then she was weighed and bathed...I was able to watch all of this as I was stitched up...and then I was given Holly to hold for the very first time I remember the feeling of Holly's body being pulled out of me and the pressure of her body moving and sliding down and out of me- and then my lungs and stomach expanding and the weight and pressure of the baby gone- what an amazing feeling!

I've been hit 1 time in the JM Snowball Fight of 2006!
January 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Mason had meconium as well... the suctioned him when his head was out (btw my epidural didn't work ) then again on the table thing.. I didn't get to hold him for about 15 minutes! We have similar stories- Mason didn't cry right away either lol, just wide awake.

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

January 29th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aw, great story! I tear up every time I think on Brandon's birth day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search