Lauren Elizabeth's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Bakerybrat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been meaning to blog this for a while. Let's see. Where to start......

It all started on a Monday. Justin and I had been going to Lamaze classes every Monday night for the past 5 weeks. Justin called home before time to go and said he was working a little late and wouldn't be able to make it. It was the last class so no big deal. We were just going to recap and talk about newborn care. Justin is the oldest of six so he's an old pro by now. He called as soon as I pulled into the hospital parking garage and said he could come. We only lived a few minutes from the hospital but I didn't want to be late. I told him to stay home. Class was predictable, watched a video on sids, learned a little cpr, learned how to diaper. We were all watching a video, I felt the urge to pee (I was 33 weeks along), I adjusted in my seat and felt a wet trickle. I was embarrased but thought, hey I'm in a class full of preggers, they would understand. I rushed to the bathroom and felt a gush. OH NO!! It wasn't pee, my water just broke. I tried not to panic. As soon as I undid my overalls and sat down on the toilet my mucus plug broke free. I took a deep breath, walked down the hall to the nurses station in the maternity ward and calmly explained what had happened. They wheeled me into an exam room, did a ferning test, yep, my water had broken. I remained calm the entire time. I knew they would take care of me and Lauren.

Next, they took me to a room in the labor unit. I had never been admitted into a hospital before and I was terrified. The nurse inserted an IV into my wrist, I was given Mag to stop labor, antibiotics, and fluids. I was also given a catheter. Justin and my friend Brandy finally arrived. Brandy had contacted my mother. She, as well as my father and sister in law, were on their way as well. I was told that I could not move from the bed. I remained in good spirits. I just knew we were ok. My OB came, in took an ultrasound and examined me. Lauren was doing great, heartbeat strong. I started having side effects from the Mag. I felt very hot, dizzy, and my eyes would not focus. I was given a steriod shot to help Lauren's heart and lungs grow. Later I was given an Ambien so I could sleep.

I was later taken to the special care unit and spent the next 48 hours hooked up to Mag in bed. Luckily one of the side effects of Mag is constipation I remained calm, I joked with the nurses, I had visitors. I won't go into all the details of the week. Lauren was doing great and that was my number 1 concern.

Cut to Friday, Oct. 14 2005:
I was concerned I was going to have to be induced. I really wanted to have her naturally if possible. I had discussed an epidural with the attending OB if necessary. I knew if they gave me pitocin I couldn't have handled the pain. I didn't have to bad of a day. I was a bit crampy though. I have a pretty high pain threshhold, nothing was showing on the monitors, so the nurses attributed it to Lauren's head on my pelvis. By that evening the pain had gotten a little worse and were spaced out like contractions. I used the breathing techniques from Lamaze to help me through them. Still, they barely blipped on the monitor. I was told, maybe tommorow. Justin and I lived a few minutes away from the hospital and I didn't want our dog Roxy to be alone so he slept at our house. He had been at the hospital with me until the Ambien had kicked in. I remember he was watching South Park. Next thing I knew, I was in extreme pain. I wasn't hooked up to anything so I jumped up to use the bathroom. I went alright! I called the nurse and explained what was going on. I was in labor. It was hard and fast. Quickly, the nurses wheeled my gurney into labor and delivery. I felt the urge to push before the doc even got there. Justin wasn't even there. I was having our baby without him. One of the nurses got my cell phone and tried to call him but he was asleep and not answering. Finally, she got in touch with Brandy (she lived less than a mile from us) who was helping Justin with Rox that week and had a key to our house. She got him out of bed and drove him to the hospital. They ran a red light in front of a cop and didn't get pulled... Meanwhile, I'm blowing and pushing but she wasn't budging. I started to feel weak, the nurses were asking me stupid questions about my tattoos and annoying me, and I really needed Justin there. I look to my right and there he was, crying and smiling. I knew I had to get his little girl out and I felt this huge surge of energy. 2 sets of contractions and pushing later....Lauren Elizabeth was born. She scored an 8 on her apgar and then a 9. She was breathing on her own, her heart was beating perfect. I saw her for 30 seconds and she was taken to the NICU. I had a small tear that had to be stitched up, but otherwise I felt amazing. I could have ran laps around that hospital. They offered me drugs but I knew I would start pumping breast milk that morning, so I only took a Motrin. I went down to see her with Justin and my parents and sil. When I came back up to my room it was around 4am. I couldn't sleep so I ate grahem crackers, m&m's and regular coke. That was the greatest day of my entire life.

May 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
man i just get so emotional. i just read your story and i am all teary eyed now trying to hide my face from my SO lol.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

May 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
You should have seen me when I was posting it.

May 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Veteran
I am crying too. I just love it when babies are born!
May 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Wow.. what a great story!! What was her original due date? Aww I love reading other people's stories.. that is really sweet! I got chills when you said "I was having our baby without him" So happy he made it in time!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

May 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Wow.. what a great story!! What was her original due date? Aww I love reading other people's stories.. that is really sweet! I got chills when you said "I was having our baby without him" So happy he made it in time![/b]
Her original due date was November 28. She was 6 weeks and 4 days early.

June 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
eek thats pretty early, that must have been really scary.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

September 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
stephie1012's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i guess the preggo hormones already kicked in im crying lol

stephanie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search