Favorite "Freezes Beautifully" Meals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
I was thinking about ways to make life easier post delivery last night and one of the ideas I had, which is unoriginal, but still nice, is having meal pre-made, in the freezer and ready to go in the oven. Sleep is a precious thing with a newborn (or so I have been told), so it would be nice to have something that even my culinary challenged DH can put in the oven... plus I don't have to get up to cook. We're also using paper plates for the first week or two, but that's just so I can avoid as many dishes as possible.

So, I was wondering if any of you have recipes that can be prepared a few weeks ahead of time. Please post any and all suggestions... I'm sure come the end of September and early October, these documents of inspiration just might be life (and sleep) savers.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
April 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Super Mommy
My mom taught me to freeze spegetti and homemade soup in the freezer and pop it out and stick it in the microwave when you are ready to eat it... That might not have been what you were looking for but it's what we will be doing.
April 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
Homemade soup recipes would be wonderful... I am also a big fan of the spaghetti, except I am not a big fan of leftovers... though if I get my grandmothers recipe right, I can sometimes stomach that. It's a head thing, I know, but it's still real!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
April 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
This is always a great idea and a few weeks ahead of delivery I was going to ask my Mom for some help cooking. Lasagna is a good freezer meal. Meat pies are too (my French side coming out as I grew up eating Tortiere LOL) My Mom makes a wicked Chicken Stew YUM I will have to get the recipe. Ham and Bean soup, she has a good one for that too. I am not much a chef myself LOL But when Elle can home we ate off paper plates for awhile and it makes for easy clean up!

April 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We keep my DH's spaghetti sauce in the freezer at all times because it is soooo good!

Other meals I'm thinking of preparing a head of time are:
Chicken Pot Pies
Quiche
Red Beans & Rice (actually minus the rice....I use a rice cooker so that's easy to make)
Prepped crock pot meals like beef stew
Prepped oven meals like chicken and veggies or fish and veggies
Prepped grill meals like meat and veggies on skewers.

I also keep homemade chicken and beef stock in the freezer. That way if I want a quick low sodium soup I can just use one of those.

lol If you can't tell...we love to cook!
April 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Oh yeah! The crockpot! That thing is awesome! I just haven't used it since I moved, but you can just throw in a roast, onion soup mix and veggies and cook all day on low and there is dinner! great idea!

April 15th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Let me just say that I freeze EVERYTHING. I tend to make meals that can feed an army, and we just don't eat that much. So I freeze all left-overs. I take a zipper sandwich bag, label it with a permanent marker, and then put what I would consider 2 servings in the bag. I then seal it up with no air in it (really easy to do with soups & sauces). I then freeze them lying down flat so once they're frozen, they all stand up on end & look like books in the freezer.

My most common freezer meals:
1. Put 2 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a bag, fill with a marinade & freeze. When you're ready, put in a covered casserole dish (while it's still frozen). Put the casserole dish in a non-preheated oven. Set the oven to 350F. Come back in 30 minutes to flip the chicken. Should be ready in another 20 or so. You can do this with raw, sliced chicken, beef or veggies too.

2. Freeze an already-baked casserole. Thaws in about 6 minutes in the microwave (as a 2-serving dish).

3. I make Hamburger Helper & add fresh veggies & spices. It makes a lot of food, so I freeze the leftovers.

I'll add some recipes later. Just some ideas for now.

Thank you SpinkD for my new Siggie!

April 15th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Violettesmumm's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Violettesmumm
This is always a good idea. My daughter's gramma started a few weeks before Violette's birth and started cooking and freezing. She made taco meat and froze it, you can thaw that out, and get pre-made stuff for toppings. She also made meat pies...the version called pasties. They are yummy, and freeze really well. Here's and easy recipie for them:

1 1/2 pounds of 1/4 inch cubed round steak
4 cups of 1/4 inch cubed pealed potatoes
1 cup of 1/4 inch (or chopped) onions
1/2 cup of chopped carrots
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tb. dried parsley
Mixed it all in a big bowl.

Now for crust. All you people that responded, and other purest, stop reading right here, cause what follows will probably gross you out!!!!

Because of lack of time (and being lazy), having noticed that one respondee said they used a pie mix with less shortening....I bought ready-made pie crusts and formed pastie crusts out of them. And it worked out fine and tasted as good as I remember the originals. The pie crusts I bought were the kind that come two in a box in the cheese, dairy counter of a grocery store. Not the frozen kind that come with pans. I divided four pie crusts into 6 pastie crusts...rolled them out, filled each with a cup of the filling, folded the crusts over the mix and pinched the ends together. Put three pasties on each of two cookie pans and cooked them for 1 hour at 400 degrees F.

http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/al...cles/307P1.asp this is a link with all kinds of stuff that they say freezes well

April 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a great idea.

I really freeze very little. I both enjoy cooking and have a lot of tricks for doing so efficiently (and this time I'm teaching my older kids to prepare meals too). But having a few back-ups in the freezer is handy.

The key to good freezing is to have something soupy or heavily sauced. Meats frozen and reheated without sauce often come out dry -- the main reason I don't freeze much since I am not a big fan of sauces and gravies.

Here's a simple recipe for beef vegetable soup.

1 lb beef chunks (often cheaper to cut up a steak or a roast than to buy pre-cut "stew beef").
1 onion, chopped
1/4 head of cabbage, slivered (or a few handfuls of bagged cole slaw mix).
1-2 potatoes, diced
1/2 lb each (half a bag), of several varieties of frozen veggies: green beans, corn, mixed vegetables, lima beans, peas, spinach (can use one block instead), Italian mix, California mix, etc -- whatever you like.
Any random leftover or orphaned veggies you have handy (like that last small zuccini that isn't enough for a meal).
1 bay leaf
1 clove of garlic, minced (or equivalent powder or dried).
1qt diced tomatoes
beef stock to fill pot -- either the real kind you made yourself from beef bones, the drippings from a roast or pot roast diluted as needed, or soup base made from a quality brand (Tone's is available at Sam's Club). DO NOT use bullion cubes -- they are nothing but artificially flavored salt.
Pepper to taste. Salt to taste if you are using a homemade stock.
Optional -- 1/4 cup barley or 1/2 cup rice.
Optional -- a stalk of celery to be cooked with the soup but thrown out like the bay leaf before serving.

Brown the beef in the bottom of a large pot. Add everything else. Bring to boiling and simmer for at least several hours. Serve with your favorite bread, biscuit, etc. or make dumplings on top of it. Recipe can be easily doubled, trippled, or more.

My dad makes the same thing with canned vegetables including their liquid. The veggies are mushier that way.

The more you "clean the fridge" in adding a large variety of veggies the better the soup will be. Though excessive amounts of broccoli, cauliflower, and their relatives can overpower things.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
April 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Another option, and one I prefer, is to prepare uncooked meals for the freezer -- things I need only toss in the oven and ignore for a few hours. That way the food is freshly made with little trouble.

Meat loaf is particularly good for this. I'll also freeze meat marinted for stir-fry because that takes only 15-20 minutes to prepare once someone else can hold the baby.

DH isn't much of a cook (more lack of interest than inherent lack of talent), but if I have pork chops sitting ready in their seasoning or if I portion out the right about of hot dogs, kielbasa, etc. he'll whip them up when he gets home. Its one time that I'll splurge on boxed side dish mixes like scalloped potatoes, fettucini alfredo, or rice with broccoli. And, of course, a bag of salad mix or some frozen veggies to microwave completes things.

Another handy trick is to cook a ham or turkey on Sunday (or whatever day is most convienient). Then you have a generous supply of cold meat handy on those days when nothing can get done. While I firmly believe that 95% of husbands can learn some basic cooking if they are willing to try, its good to have the stuff available for sandwhiches when you need them. Its boring, but its food.

</a>
April 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This isn't a freezer meal, but as I started to prepare dinner tonight I thought people would appreciate this ultra-easy, really fast, and inexpensive meal. My 11yo can make it so even the more kitchen-hopeless spouses have a fighting chance.

Tuna Mac

For 1 box-mix mac and cheese add 1 can of drained tuna and about 1/3 lb of frozen peas. Drop the peas into the water with the macaroni for the last 2 minutes or so. Add the tuna to the sauce before adding the maccaroni and peas back to it.

Good with a salad or things like cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, etc.

If you need more than 1 box to feed the number of mouths around just double, triple, etc. everything.

</a>
April 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OK, another easy, inexpensive dinner tonight. And this one freezes beautifully.

Chicken in Salsa

I use chicken leg quarters for this because that's what's on my bugdet. You could use any combination of chicken parts that you care for.

Skin the chicken pieces then arrannge them in a cassarole.

Top each chicken piece with a generous tablespoon of your favorite salsa. I like medium, but choose the intensity that suits your tastebuds.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven until the chicken is fully cooked.

Top each chicken piece with shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and begining to brown.

I'd serve it with rice and a salad.

</a>
April 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OK, this doesn't freeze well, but it takes very little attention and can sit in the oven on warm for quite a while so its very practical.

Real, Restaurant Ribs.

Start this in the early afternoon but you can spend most of the cooking time ignoring it completely. (90% of the art of cooking is knowing how to ignore food :-D ).

Beef or pork ribs -- whatever type you prefer.
Good quality BBQ sauce. I don't make my own -- too much trouble and ends up costing more. I like Sweet Baby Ray's, Jack Daniels, and others of the browner sort rather than the redder, more ketchupy types like Heinz. That's a matter of personal taste. However, the ribs will only be as good as the sauce is so don't skimp on the quality.

Put the ribs on a cookie sheet or in a cassarole dish meaty side up. Use a kitchen brush (aka a 1" natural bristle paint brush from the hardware store for 1/2 the price), to put a thin layer of sauce on the top surface. Put in a 250 degree oven.

After an hour, flip the ribs and paint the boney side with sauce.

After another hour, flip the ribs meaty side up and paint them again. Keep those sauce layers thin.

Don't flip the ribs again, just repaint them every hour. You may, if you like the sauce carmelized and going crunchy, turn the heat up to 350 the last 1/2 hour.

Serve with coleslaw and lots of napkins.

Its very easy because you need only to give it about 2 minutes every hour and you use bottled sauce. But I never eat ribs out anymore.

BTW -- the cooked on sauce will come right off the cookie sheet if you soak it overnight.

</a>
May 13th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know how well this would freeze, but it's easy to make and delicious. (It's not a meal, but dessert).
My uncle's mom always makes it and they used to send me home with my own container. I love this stuff.

1 large box orange jello
1 medium container cool whip
1 large container cottage cheese
1 large can mandarin oranges - DRAINED - reserve about 6 orange slices for garnish

Mix everything together (use the jello dry - do NOT add water)

Pour this mix into a bowl - garnish with remaining oranges

Chill until set - about 2 hours

July 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here are my most used recipes.

Bourbon Chicken (adapted from copykat.com)

1-2 lb chicken pieces (white or dark meat)
2 Tbs Teriyaki sauce
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp garlic salt/powder
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs granulated Sugar
1 cup white grape / apple juice
½ c bourbon
¼ c water

Mix the marinade. Put the chicken in a zipper plastic bag, pour in the marinade. Seal & freeze.
When ready to eat, remove frozen chicken & marinade from bag & put in a casserole dish, place in cold oven. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Stir & cook until chicken is finished.

Chicken Tetrazzini with Almonds
1 Tbs butter/margarine
2 c sliced mushrooms
¼ c chopped shallots
1/3 c flour
2 c milk
2 c chicken broth
1/3 c sherry or white wine
2 c cooked, chopped chicken breast
½ c parmesan cheese
8 oz dry pasta, cooked (spaghetti is common)
½ c slivered or sliced almonds
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Saute mushrooms & shallots in butter. After 5 minutes, stir in flour & gradually add milk, broth & wine. Once blended, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 8 minutes (stirring constantly). Stir in chicken & cheese. Add pasta, nuts, salt, pepper & nutmeg. Let cool. Divide into zipper plastic bags & freeze.
To eat without freezing, place portion to be eaten in a casserole dish & bake at 350F for 20-30 mins (until sauce thickens).
When ready to eat, remove frozen pasta from bag & put in a casserole dish, place in a cold oven. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Stir & cook until heated through.

Twisted Gorgonzola Pasta (adapted from mealtime.org)
12 oz dry pasta, cooked (common: rotini)
¼ c chopped onion
½ tsp minced garlic
1 (14oz) can finely diced tomatoes
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
¼ - ½ c gorgonzola or blue cheese
3 oz cream cheese
1/3 c chopped parsley
¼ c chopped pecans
Saute onion & garlic until tender. Stir in the milk & boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheeses & tomatoes until cheeses melt. Toss the sauce, parsley, pecans & pasta.
Put in a zipper plastic bag. Seal & freeze.
To eat without freezing, no additional preparation is necessary.
When ready to eat, remove frozen pasta from bag & put in a casserole dish, place in a cold oven. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Stir & cook until heated through.

Cheesy, Meaty, Saucy Pasta
1 lb dry pasta, cooked
1 lb ground beef, brown & drain
1 (11oz) can cheddar cheese soup (or fiesta cheese)
1 (30oz) jar spaghetti sauce (any flavor)
Pepper & italian seasoning to taste
3 c shredded cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, Colby, Jack, or any combination)
Mix all to combine. Put in zipper plastic bag. Seal & freeze.
To eat without freezing, place portion to be eaten in a casserole dish & bake at 350F for 20-30 mins (until sauce thickens).

Chili Colorado (adapted from Cooksrecipes.com)
1 lb beef strips or pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (4oz) can diced greed chilies
½ tsp oregano
When ready to eat, remove frozen beef & marinade from bag & put in a casserole dish, place in cold oven. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Stir & cook until beef is finished. Serve with flour tortillas, sour cream.

Quick Tacos
Mix 1 lb lean ground beef with ¼ c flour, packet of taco seasoning, & ½ c water. Stir all together & cook until beef is done. Stir in ½ c enchilada or taco sauce. Put in zipper plastic bag. Seal & freeze.
When ready to eat, remove frozen beef from bag & thaw in microwave. Use canned diced tomatoes, shredded cheese & taco shells to serve.

Greek Chicken
2 chicken breasts
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp oregano
¼ tsp lemon juice
½ c olive oil
½ c chopped onion
1 tsp seasoned salt
Put chicken & onion in zipper plastic bag. Pour in remaining & mix. Seal & freeze
When ready to eat, remove frozen chicken & marinade from bag & put in a casserole dish, place in cold oven. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Stir & cook until chicken is finished.

Chicken Pasta Arabica (from mealtime.org)
8 oz dry pasta, cooked
2 Tb olive oil
1 lg onion, thinly sliced
1 lb chicken, cut in bite-size pieces
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes (don’t drain)
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
½ tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
¾ c crumbled feta
Cook onion in olive oil 1-2 minutes. Add chicken, salt & pepper. Cook until chicken is done. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, cinnamon, & cloves. Bring to a boil & reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes. Add pasta & feta. Put in zipper plastic bag. Seal & freeze.
To eat without freezing, no additional preparation is necessary.

Chicken Parmesan (not for freezing, but REALLY good)
1 c buttermilk (or ¾ c white milk, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp flour)
½ c parmesan, romano or asiago
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 c seasoned bread crumbs (or crush croutons)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Place chicken breasts in buttermilk. Mix cheese Italian seasoning, pepper & bread crumbs. Dredge chicken through bread crumb mixture. Place in baking dish & bake at 350F until chicken is done. Place on serving plate, top with spaghetti sauce & additional cheese.

Jalapeno-Citrus Chicken
1 lb chicken, cut into pieces
1 seeded jalapenos (or 4 oz can diced chilies)
3 Tbs cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp black pepper
1 Tbs olive oil

Bombay Chicken with almonds
1 tsp butter or margarine
¼ c chopped, toasted almonds
2 tsp curry powder
1 c diced apple
½ c chopped onion
½ c sliced mushrooms
1 Tbs flour
1 tsp Chicken bouillion
1 c boiling water
½ c milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 c chopped, cooked chicken
Saute apple, onion & mushrooms with curry powder in butter for 5 mins. Stir in flour. Cook 2 mins while stirring. Dissolve bouillion granules in boiling water. Add to skillet with milk & lemon juice. Cook over low heat 5 mins. Add chicken & almonds. Put in zipper plastic bag. Seal & freeze.
To eat without freezing, serve with rice.
When ready to eat, remove frozen mixture from bag & thaw in microwave. Serve with rice.

Jalapeno Potato Soup (not too spicy, but has some flavor)
1 med onion, chopped
1 Tbs parsley
1 tsp cumin
Cayenne, salt, pepper to taste
4 c evaporated milk
¼ c butter
1 (4oz) can jalapenos
3-5 lbs potatoes, cubed
pinch of baking soda
6 c chicken broth
In stock pot, sauté onions in butter until tender. Add potatoes, chicken broth & spices. Cover & cook until potatoes are tender (20-30 mins). Add jalapenos, soda & milk. Coarsely mash some potatoes.
Allow to cool & portion into zipper plastic bags. Seal & Freeze.
When ready to eat, remove frozen soup from bag & thaw in microwave. If consistency is poor, add a spoonful of sour cream & stir.

Thank you SpinkD for my new Siggie!

August 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This recipe doesn't have a name. I make variations of it all summer while the squash is in season but have never actualy come up with anything to call it. In any case, it was last night's dinner and it does freeze well. Since its summer squash season now would be a good time to make a few batches for the freezer.

Unnamed Meat and Squash Dish

Some ground beef or ground turkey -- between 1/2lb and 2lbs depending on what sort of diet you're on and what you have handy.

1 large onion, coarsely chopped.

4-6 mixed summer squash cut in chunks. (Not those 4" microsquash -- the real ones. Or enough microsquash to give you a good, big pile of squash chunks)

clove of garlic, minced or pressed

Either a can of V8, a can or two of diced tomatoes, or several tomatoes from the overflow in your garden -- whichever you have.

A block of frozen spinach (optional).

1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning

In a good-sized dutch oven brown the ground meat in olive oil along with the onion and garlic. Drain excess grease and add other ingredients. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for half an hour or until squash is tender.

Serve over rice or pasta with parmesan optional. Makes enough to feed a big family with leftovers for tomorrows lunch or several meals for a couple.

Can be frozen as is or layered with rice or pasta and topped with Mozzerella for a cassarole.

</a>
August 17th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And another seasonal recipe to freeze.

Summer Garden Chicken

Chicken pieces -- as much as you need to feed your family.

An assortment of fresh vegetables cut in bite-size pieces -- yellow squash, zuchini, patty pan squash, green beans, cherry tomatoes, chard, and so on -- pretty much whatever is ready to pick (or whatever is on sale), but not the cabbage family stuff (that's a different recipe :wink: ).

Minced garlic to taste

Rosemary to taste (fresh is best).

1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade or use restaurant grade soup base -- bullion cubes are just colored, salty water), with a generous dash of sherry if desired or 1/2 cup white wine.

In a big Dutch oven brown the chicken pieces in olive oil. Layer the chicken and vegetables. Add the sherried stock or the wine. Cover and cook at 350 for about an hour or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Naturally, smaller quanities cook faster.

</a>
September 26th, 2005, 09:20 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Beef Stroganoff:
Ingredients for Cooking Day:

· 1 1/2 lb. top round
· 1 can cream of chicken soup
· 1 onion
· 1 jar mushrooms
· 1 cup sour cream
Ingredients for Serving Day:
· 1 package of noodles
Directions for Cooking Day: Trim fat from meat. Season with salt and pepper, dredge with flour. Brown meat in skillet with onions. Add soup and mushrooms and 1/4 cup water. Cook over low heat 1 hour. Add sour cream and mix. Cool and freeze using a freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost stroganoff mixture and heat. Prepare noodles according to package directions. Serve stroganoff over noodles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Can Soup .
· 1 lb. ground beef
· 3 cans Campbell's Minestrone
· 2 cans Ranch style beans
· 1 can Rotelle Tomatoes
· 1 can whole tomatoes
Directions for Cooking Day: Brown meat with onion. Add cans of soup. Freeze using freezer bag method.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost and heat through.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chili Bake

· 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
· 1/2 chopped onion
· 16 oz. can whole kernel corn
· 15 oz. can of chili with beans
· 1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
· 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional - you may sprinkle any amount of parmesan cheese on top of individual servings)
· 1 can Hungry Jack Buttermilk Biscuits
Directions for Cooking Day: Brown meat and onion. Drain. Stir in corn, chili and seasoning. Simmer. Cool and freeze in freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost chili mixture and heat. Prepare the Hungry Jack Biscuits. To serve split the biscuits in half and spoon chili mixture on top. Top with shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meatballs

· 1 lb. ground beef
· 1/4 cup bread crumbs
· 1 egg
· 1/4 cup ketchup
· salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Cooking Day: Combine all ingredients and shape into small meatballs. In large skillet cook meatballs turning continually until meatballs are cooked through. To freeze first put all meatballs on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the meatballs are solidly frozen (make take several hours) remove from cookie sheet and place in freezer bag and put back in freezer.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost and serve with your favorite sauces.
Sauce ideas for meatballs - brown gravy and meatballs served over rice, spaghetti sauce, barbeque sauce.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meatloaf
Ingredients for Cooking Day
:
· 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
· 1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
· 1 egg
· 1/2 cup ketchup
· 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Directions for Cooking Day: Combine all ingredients and shape into loaf. Line your favorite loaf pan with foil first and then a layer of Saran wrap. Make sure that both pieces will be large enough to completely cover your meatloaf. Place meatloaf in loaf pan and seal the 2 wraps around the meatloaf. Place loaf pan and sealed meatloaf in freezer for a couple of hours. Once meatloaf is semi frozen remove it from loaf pan. Place meatloaf back in freezer. This process allows you to freeze your meatloaf in the shape of the pan you will be cooking it in but doesn't require you to freeze your pan.
Directions for Serving Day: Unwrap meatloaf and defrost in loaf pan. Place in the loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Super Burgers
· 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
· 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped onion
· 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
· garlic, salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Cooking Day: Combine all ingredients and shape into hamburger patties. You will freeze these raw and cook them on serving day.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost patties and cook on grill or pan fry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spinach Stuffed Steaks - This recipe is a treat that I make for a special dinner for my husband and me. I don't make it for the kids because of the cost. Even though this is prepared mostly on cooking day there is still cooking steps on serving day that are a bit more than my usual freezer recipes.
Stuffing:

· 10 oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed, drained.
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 1/4 tsp. pepper
· 1/2 tsp. garlic
· 2 Porterhouse steaks (can also use strip or T-bone)
· 6 slices bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
· 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
Sauce:
· 1 Tbsp. flour
· 1 cup water
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
· 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
Directions for Cooking Day: In small bowl mix together all stuffing ingredients. Prepare steaks for stuffing by splitting each steak down the side to form a pocket. Fill each pocket with the spinach mixture. Freeze using freezer bags.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost Steaks. In skillet cook bacon in the margarine over medium heat (about 5 minutes). Place steaks in the skillet and cook over med. high heat until steaks reach desired doneness. Remove meat. To make sauce remove excess fat from skillet but keep the bacon and brown particles. Reduce heat to medium and stir in flour. Cook until mixture is bubbly. Stir in water, salt, tomato paste and garlic. Continue cooking until thick.

Honey Baked Pork Chops .

· 6 boneless pork chops
· 1/2 cup honey
· 1/4 cup cider vinegar
· 1/4 t. ground ginger
· 1 clove minced garlic
· 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
Directions for Cooking Day: Place honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic and soy sauce in blender and mix well. Place uncooked pork chops and honey mixture in a freezer bag and freeze.
Directions for Serving Day: Thaw completely. Place pork chops and honey mixture in a baking dish. Bake for 350 degrees for 1 hour or until pork chops are cooked. Turn pork chops occasionally while baking.

Barbeque Pork Sandwiches
· Pork Roast
· Barbeque Sauce
· Salt, pepper, garlic
· Sandwich Rolls
Directions for Cooking Day: Season the pork roast with salt, pepper and garlic. Put in Crock Pot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. The roast is done when you can break it apart easily with a fork. Remove cooked roast from crock pot and shred the pork. Add barbeque sauce and mix. Freeze shredded barbeque pork in a freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost the pork and heat. Serve on toasted sandwich rolls.

Stuffed Pork Chops

· 6 double pork chops
· 1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
· 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
· 3/4 tsp. salt
· 1/4 tsp. pepper
· 1 1/2 tsp. minced parsley
· 3/4 tsp. sage
· 1 Tbsp. grated onion
· 1 cup diced apple
· 1 egg
· 3 Tbsp. milk
Directions for Cooking Day: Cut a pocket on the bone side of each cop. Combine next 10 ingredients and mix well. Stuff each chop with corn mixture. Brown chops in oil. Let pork chops cool and freeze using Freezer bags.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost pork chops. Bake about 1 hour (or until pork is thoroughly cooked) at 350 degrees.

Barbeque Pork Chops - This is super easy and freezing the pork chops in the barbeque sauce gives the chops a great flavor.
· Pork Chops
· Barbeque Sauce
Directions for Cooking Day: Put raw pork chops in freezer bag. Add enough barbeque sauce to coat pork chops entirely. Freeze.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost pork chops completely. Put chops in a baking dish and throw away extra sauce. Cook at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked all the way through.

Salisbury Steaks
· 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
· 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
· 1 egg, slightly beaten
· 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/8 tsp. pepper
· 2 cans Franco-American Mushroom Gravy

Directions for Cooking Day: Mix together all cooking day ingredients. Shape into 6 oblong patties. Arrange patties on a baking sheet and flash freeze. Remove baking sheet from freezer and transfer patties to a freezer bag. Freeze.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost patties completely. In skillet, brow patties and drain. Add gravy. cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until patties are completely cooked.

California Chili

· 1 lb. ground beef
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tsp. cumin
· 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1 - 16 oz. can tomato sauce
· 1 - 16 oz. can kidney beans
· 1 jalapeno pepper - chopped
Optional garnishes: grated cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped onions, oyster crackers.
Directions for Cooking Day: Cook beef with onions, garlic and spices. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and cook slow for about 1 hour. Cool and freeze in freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Thaw chili and heat on med. low until heated through. Garnish with desired toppings.

Goulash
· 1 lb. ground beef
· 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean sausage
· 1 large can tomato sauce - 29 oz.
· 1 can corn (drained)
· 1 cup elbow macaroni
· 1chopped green pepper
· 1/2 onion chopped
· 1 clove garlic chopped.
Ingredients for Serving Day:· Parmesan Cheese
Directions for Cooking Day: Cook elbow macaroni al dente. Brown meat and sausage together. Drain. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and tomato sauce. Simmer for 1 hour. Add cooked macaroni and corn. Cool and freeze in freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost and heat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Spicy Beef and Vegetable Sloppy Joe
· 1 lb. lean ground beef
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 2 cloves garlic minced
· 1 cup chopped zucchini
· 1 cup chopped yellow summer squash
· 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
· 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
· 1 16-oz. jar salsa
· 1 tsp. dried basil
· 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
· 1/2 tsp. rosemary
· 6 to 8 kaiser rolls
Directions for Cooking Day: In a skillet cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat till meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Add zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, and green pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in salsa, basil, parsley and rosemary. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Cool and freezer in freezer bag.
Directions for Serving Day: Defrost and warm Sloppy Joe mixture. Serve on toasted kaiser rolls.

MY BLOG

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search