Gabrielle Mary's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
I was due on October 31st 2005. I had a healthy pregnancy. On the 31st I was given an examine, and to my dismay there was no change in dialation or effacement. We discussed how long we should wait before proceeding with a cervix softening and application of Pitocin. My OB , Dr. Mixson, scheduled me for a cervix softening on the 2nd. He figured he'd give Belle one more day to show herself on her own. However that night I experienced my first contraction. It lasted for about 30 seconds and then disappered. It was a strong one, so strong in fact I had to have Joe, my husband, help me sit down. On the first of November, nothing happened, no contractions, nothing. Except for the occasional kick to my ribs, that made me well aware of how much I was ready to meet my daughter!

On the morning of the 2nd, I got out of bed with Joe to see him off to work. I pushed myself up from lying on my side, and stood up. And, I felt a trickle. My first thought was, 'GREAT, I PEED MYSELF!'. Because I did have a strong urge to use the toilet....And thus I thought I had wet myself. So quickly I rushed to the bathroom, sat down on the toilet......and the trickle wouldn't stop. I tried doing a keegal exercise to see if that worked. And it did...until I stood up, and it started to trickle again. So I called to Joe, that he needed to get me a pair of panties from my drawer and call work to say that he wouldn't be going in today. The look he gave me was priceless. His response. "Are you serious?!". I laughed at him. So he ran about the house looking for a pair of my panties, until he came back into the bathroom and asked me where they were... I was laughing so hard. And I pointed at the dresser drawer just outside the bathroom door. You should have seen how RED his face went.

So I called my OB, and he called ahead to the Maternity ward. I was at the hospital with Joe by 7 am, on the 2nd. They took blood, started an IV, and decided that I wasn't allowed to walk around. Which really sucked. THey checked my progress and sized me at 1 cm. After an hour or so of having no contractions with my water broken, they decided they'd start Pitocin. I was able to handle most of the contractions as they came just with breathing. But I had only progressed to 5 cm by 6 pm. And my doctor was a little worried about my progression. Unfortunately at this point I had to have an epidural, the pain was making me cry. There was a little meter beside my bed that measured the tension of each contraction, Joe said that at one time he had seen it up to 70. But because my breathing exercises were no longer working (and let me tell you, I practiced those exercises EVERY DAY for the last two weeks of my pregnancy) Relaxation techniques weren't helping either, so around 7, they had a someone come in to apply the epi. I slept great through the night. It was great for the first 9 hours or so, then I began to feel my left side. And the contractions felt like someone was taking a needle or something and poking my pelvic bone. It HURT. So I called the nurse, who simple said something about using the "boost button"....But all that did was make my right side even number than it was before!!!!! I asked for the anestesiologist to come back, but by that point it was 7 am, and my OB had returned.

The first thing he said to me was, 'Today is actually supposed to be my day off." And I looked at him like he was mad! He has two mid-wife/nurses that work for him. So I told him to leave! Hell, during my pregnancy I had only ever seen him like 3 times, all the other appointments were kept with a mid-wife named Janice or another named Leanne. So he left and Leanne took over under the watch of his associate Dr. Watson (an awesome woman!). (A funny story: He actually thought I was mad that he wanted his day off! You see he's really popular OB in the area, and delivers AT LEAST 4 babies a week. So I didn't care that he wanted his day off...He deserves it!LOL) Before he left however, Leanne had done an exam and I had only progressed to 7 cm. That meant the active labor had stalled. And that is a bad sign, so he suggested having a c/s done.. The other terrible thing that happened was Joe's work had called him. He HAD to show his face. You see, Joe is in the US Navy, and at the time of the delivery, Joe was going through some intense training. So intense in fact that missing even one day of important instruction would push him back to the next class that came in to take that course. Thus that would be bad for us because we wouldn't have gotten the shore duty orders to come to Connecticut. So we sacrificed, and decided to see how I would progress for a few more hours while Joe went into the office and showed his face.

At 10, Dr. Watson came rushing into my room. She layed me back and informed me that they had lost track of the Belle's heartbeat for over a minute! So I had no choice but to let them use the wire, that sticks to baby's scalp. She also noticed that my cervix had begun to swell. An even worse sign. So she told me to call my husband because I would be having a c/s in 20-30 minutes. So I called his office, talked to his instructor that informed me that he had to take a test! And it was one that he had never studied for either (he's a smart cookie, got 98%). I asked how long he'd be in, and I was put on hold while he went to find out. 10 minutes later I was told he'd be in for another HOUR! So I left the message that I was going in for c/s in 20 minutes or less.

Joe got back from the office, just as I was signing the permission forms. He changed into OR rags just as they wheeled me out. Gabrielle Mary was delivered at 11:18 am on November 3rd.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
October 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Wow! What a day! Sorry it didn't go as planned, but glad it worked out in the end.
October 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
SweetPeaMamma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SweetPeaMamma
awwww the panty thing made me laugh my butt off!! I know all too well about the Navy..going in to work thing. Luckily they were VERY understanding with my dh when I delivered natalie. Glad it worked out well. Can you believe it's been almost a year???

October 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a great story!! I am so happy that Joe made it back in time for Gabrielle's arrival into the world!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search