Georgia's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Oh my goodness, where to begin? I'll try to remember as much as I can. It was Saturday night and I was feeling a little under the weather, so I went to bed fairly early. That night, it seemed like every time I rolled out of bed to use the ladies' room (which was often!) I was in the middle of a contraction. I didn't think much of it, as I had been having plenty of Braxton Hicks the last few weeks, so I just ignored it and went back to sleep.

Sunday morning I woke up at six, again in the middle of a contraction. By this time I started to think it was a little unusual, and went to the bathroom...there was bloody show. I came out of the bathroom and said to my husband, who was in the process of waking up, "I think I'm in labor!" He shot up out of bed and said, "I'm up!!!!" We started timing contractions right away- if I remember correctly, they were between 5-7 minutes apart and about 45 seconds long apiece. I didn't want to go to the hospital immediately, so we both took our time, doing normal things such as eating breakfast and taking showers. We hung around the house all morning- I think we were just waiting for the contractions to get a little more intense. Finally around noon we got to the hospital. The nurses put me in a room and checked to make sure I was actually in labor. I was 4 cm dilated at this time.

Okay, here's where things start running together a bit, so bear with me! I know at some point they came in to break my water (which did not feel at all like I thought it was going to). I remember the nurse calling my doctor to inform her of my progress-- I think I'd been there a couple of hours by this point--and I know the dr said, "Just give her some pictocin and I'll be there later," and the nurse told her, "Um...I don't think she needs any pitocin- her cervix is dilating very nicely on it's own!" And I think at this time I was 6 cm dilated. Soon after that, I had an epidural. It felt good to finally have some relief, but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't even feel my legs to move them...I kept thinking, "How am I going to push if I can't feel anything?" I was really confused as to how that was going to work.

About six o'clock pm they told me I was ready to push. I tried the best I could but I wasn't really sure what I was doing at all, since I was so numb. Finally I asked if maybe they could turn the epidural down a bit. The nurses acted like that was a weird request, but did it anyway. That made me feel better- it hurt a bit again, but at least I was able to feel everything a little more than I did. Soon I started to notice this strange pressure on my hip as I was pushing. The nurses realized that somehow little Georgia was at an angle in there, and as I pushed, her head would hit the bone. Poor thing!! So, they made me roll from my left side to my right, which eventually worked and straightened everything out. So, I started pushing again. It was around this time that I developed a really bad case of the shakes, which I heard sometimes happens. My husband was under the impression that I was really nervous about having the baby, which wasn't the case at all. Men!

I was lucky enough to get my own ob that weekend, as she happened to be the one on call. But, thinking back, I wasn't all that thrilled to have her there. She acted really irritated that it was taking me so long to push. I remember her saying once, "You're not pushing!" And she took her gloves off and left the room in a huff. I think next time around I'll scout around for someone else.....but I digress! More pushing, more pushing. It seemed to take forever, although I think I ended up doing it for about an hour and a half. I know at one point the nurse said, "Oooh, I can see the babies' hair!" And she motioned for my husband to look. "It looks red!" she said. We were a little stunned at that, since neither one of us are redheads. Anyway, soon after that the dr took out the forceps and pulled little Georgia out. She was face-down- I can't remember what that's called. Poor thing had quite a knot on her head from bumping on my hip bone, too...but other than that everything was absolutely perfect.

Georgia Celeste was born on October 9th, 2005 (four days early). She weighed in at a whopping 6 lbs 3oz and was 21 inches long. I'm crying as I'm typing this.... I can't believe how much she's grown and changed in this year. It's truly a miracle.

Anyway, that's my story! Thanks for reading it! Sorry for the novel I wrote!

November 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, that is a great story. I was induced so I never got to go in to labor on my own, you sound so brave to me, sticking around the house for awhile. Glad you found us here!
November 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Veteran
I was induced like Lisa, same day no less!! Great story!! I wish I could have experienced labor starting up naturally. I really didn't like the epi either. It made me really nervous not being able to feel anything. Unfortunately--my request turned out not so good. I was at like 6 cm and asked them to turn it off for a little while, well about half an hour later I was fully dialated!! So I felt EVERYTHING. Anyways, great story!! I love reading birth stories!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search