Kira's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In an effort to up my post count further before leaving JM for the afternoon, I've copied and pasted Kira's birth story from her website. It's kinda long - SORRY! It was also written in the swoon of new motherhood, so let that excuse me from any typos, grammatical errors, redundancy, etc.

At my 40 week prenatal appointment the obstetrician decided that if Kira did not decide to come on her own beforehand, he would induce me on Sunday, November 20th, 2005 at 9:00 p.m. Finally having a good idea of when Kira would be making her appearance, we went ahead and asked my mom to go ahead and fly down from Pennsylvania so that she could be here for the birth and stay with us, as planned, for approximately two weeks afterward. She went ahead and made arrangements to fly down Thursday evening, November 17th.

Around 2:00 a.m. Thursday morning, the 17th, I started having contractions. They were not terribly strong, but they were enough to keep me up most of the night. By late Thursday morning they were coming about 7 or 8 minutes apart, but by noon they had subsided and by the afternoon I thought they had gone. Instead, I thought I was experiencing gas pains...about two or three per hour. Luckily, I decided to catch up on my lost sleep that afternoon. Around 9:30 p.m. Lyndon got home from work, and around 10:30 p.m. we left to pick up my mom at the Fort Lauderdale airport. The flight was a little late and we didn't get home from the airport until nearly 1 a.m. Friday morning, November 18th.

By 1:45 a.m., just after I had fallen asleep and as Lyndon was getting ready to do the same, my “gas pains” were getting to a point where they were affecting my sleep. By 2 a.m. I was wide awake and Lyndon decided to start timing my pains. By 3:15 a.m. Lyndon was sure that my “gas” was actually actually contractions so we decided to take a little walk around the neighborhood (in the very cold rain!) to find out for sure. After going about 100 yards I gave in and admitted that yes, this was probably labor...so we turned around and went back home. At 3:50 a.m. Lyndon called the doctor to let them know that my contractions had been coming consistently every 4 to 6 minutes for nearly two hours. The doctor on call, Dr. Lauren Feingold, told us to go ahead and go into the hospital. We woke up my mom, told her that we would call if they admitted us and off we went.

We arrived at the hospital around 4:45 a.m. The nurse hooked me up to a monitor and my contractions had slowed to about 7-10 minutes apart. When she checked me at 5:40 a.m., however, she found that I was 3 cm dilated and told me that we would definitely be having a baby that day! We later learned that with the induction already having been scheduled and my being five days overdue, they would have admitted us no matter what.

By 7:15 a.m. when Dr. Feingold arrived to check me I was dilated between 5 and 6 centimeters, 95% effaced, and the baby was at a +1 station. She warned me that if I was going to take an epidural I should order it then because there was a possibility things might progress too quickly and I would lose the opportunity if I waited. (Hah!)

After the epidural was in place the labor process slowed down. Dr. Feingold broke my waters at 8:55 a.m.. At 10:25 a.m. we discovered that my epidural had come disconnected after I started complaining of feeling more pain. The anesthesiologist came and hooked me up to a new one at 10:30 a.m. and I was once again feeling fine.

At 12:30 p.m. I was 7 to 8 cm dilated but the baby appeared to have moved back to a 0 station position. Contractions were still coming too far apart to help advance things quickly so Dr. Feingold gave the go-ahead to start a pitocin drip with the hopes of speeding things along. They increased the drip intermittently from that point on. At 2:45 p.m. they drew some blood to check up on me since my blood pressure was spiking, and they upped the pitocin for the second time. At 3:55 p.m. I was 9 cm, but the baby was still around 0 station. They upped the pitocin again and around this time stopped the epidural.

At 5:30 p.m. the nurse started having me push through contractions. Dr. Feingold had gone to Boca Community Hospital, another local hospital, to deliver someone else's baby, and the on-call doctor for the next day, Dr. Neumann, was also at Boca Community visiting patients. They started a slow drip of the epidural again to give me relief from the increasing pain. Luckily, the full delivery schedule meant that they had to call in a third doctor to assist me and my own OB, Dr. Gostal Arcelin, arrived about 6:30 p.m. Dr. Arcelin pushed the last bit of cervix out of the way, which had been preventing Kira from progressing further down the birth canal.

Kira was faced forward in the womb so the doctor had to turn her into the right position (definitely the worst part of the entire day for mom!!), and after that it was just a matter of pushing until she crowned. After the final push, Kira rushed out to greet the world. She made a few sounds but didn't cry at all. She had a full head of dark hair.

Kira was born at 7:36 p.m. on November 18th, 2005. She weighed 8 lbs., 9 oz. and was 21 inches long. Her apgar scores were 9/9. So far she is doing great!

April 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great story! I wrote out the entire lengthy story of my labor/delivery, too, shortly after Thatcher was born. It's so nice to have it all written down b/c I'm sure I wouldn't remember half the details on my own.

What a long labor! Sounds like you had to suffer through an awful lot of "gas pains!"

That's interesting that your hospital would have admitted you no matter what, since you were overdue and had an induction scheduled. I was in the same boat when I went to the hospital. I was 7 days overdue and had an induction scheduled for 2 days later. I'd been having contractions for over 20 hours before I went in. The nurse was very rude and condescending to me, telling me over and over that unless I was dilated to a 4 and/or contracting less than 5 min apart consistently, they would send me home. After checking me, she said, "Ok, you can stay," like she was doing me a big favor.

Sorry, I'm hijacking...

Love the story! Thanks for sharing!

April 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That's interesting that your hospital would have admitted you no matter what, since you were overdue and had an induction scheduled. I was in the same boat when I went to the hospital. I was 7 days overdue and had an induction scheduled for 2 days later. I'd been having contractions for over 20 hours before I went in. The nurse was very rude and condescending to me, telling me over and over that unless I was dilated to a 4 and/or contracting less than 5 min apart consistently, they would send me home. After checking me, she said, "Ok, you can stay," like she was doing me a big favor. [/b]
I'm not sure who makes the call of whether or not a mom can stay or go, but I wonder if maybe my doctor had something to do with the "you have been staying anyway" attitude. I'm pretty sure that if had any real say in the matter, he would have fought to let me stay. He knows that no overdue mother wants to go back home without her baby!

April 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
nirvanasmarigold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved the story, I like when they are long it's very sweet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search