Sean's Birth Story (new to this PR)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a copy of my birth story from a different forum I belonged to when he was born (kinda long):

Contractions began Monday, 10/17, in the late afternoon. They were excruciating--I was having back labor and it was the worst pain I've ever felt. Like my back was tearing apart. Imagine a charlie horse in your back that can't be massaged away. The pain didn't even fully go away in between contrax. I tried all kinds of positions from my childbirth classes; none provided any relief. The best was rocking on the edge of my seat.

By around 5 am Tuesday morning I called the doctor and told him I was contracting every 4-6 minutes, 1 minute long for over an hour. He said to come in and get checked. We finally got to the hospital between 7-7:30 am and got hooked up to the monitors. It showed regular contractions but I was only 1-2 cm! I was told I could stay for 1 hour and walk to see if I progress, and if not I'd be sent home. After 1 hour of walking, squatting and lunging I had no change and was sent home. They told me I could be one of those women who has an extended early phase of labor lasting a few days, which is not what I wanted to hear!
So, we went home and I finally ate something. I took a Tylenol PM to sleep and it helped a bit, but it spread the contrax to 45 min. apart. I was so happy to get some relief I took it again before bed.

Wednesday we decided it was time to start walking to get contrax going again. They seemed more painful than before. Again, I was up all night long in excruciating pain. The next morning, Thursday, I had an appointment scheduled with the midwife because my doctor was on vacation. The midwife checked me and said I was a tight three cm and 100% effaced, and baby was at 0 station. She checked with one of the doctors and they agreed that I probably wouldn't be sent home this time. They called the hospital to let them know we'd be coming in later, and they told me to get something to eat before I go. We went to breakfast and then went home to walk some more. I wanted to be sure they wouldn't send me home again so I was trying to wait as long as possible, even though my pain was so severe.

We finally got to the hospital around 5 pm on Thursday, 10/20. I was hooked up to the monitors and the nurse told me that the monitor didn't seem to be picking up my contrax, but she could clearly see that I was having them. The resident came in and checked me and told me I was 3 cm and baby was -2 station--moved back since that morning. I was so worried that she would want to send me home again! I told her that in the a.m. I was a tight 3 cm, and she said now I was more like 3-4, so we waited for the doctor to come in and check. I had a LEEP done 2 yrs ago and had a band of scar tissue that they thought may have prevented the cervix from dilating as much as it could. The doctor decided to admit me around 6-6:30, so I was happy that the time was finally here!

I started out by sitting in a rocker with warm towels on my back. Finally, I couldn't take the pain any longer and asked for the drugs. I got Nubain in my IV around 8 pm and within a minute I felt drunk. It took the edge off my pain and I fell asleep. After 1 1/2 hrs the pain was really getting bad again so I requested the epidural. It started working immediately. Then the doctor came in and broke my water so she could manually try to stretch the scar tissue to allow my cervix to dilate more. I was 4-5 cm at that point.
I went back to sleep and eventually needed Pitocin because contrax spread out again while I was sleeping. I could here DH and my mom talking about how strong the contrax were registering on the monitor. Around 6 a.m. on Friday morning I told the nurse I felt pressure and she checked me. I was 10 cm, and then the doctor came in. She told me the baby was still kind of high, so I told her I wanted to rest and let the baby move down on its own. She told me I could start pushing around 7 a.m. Well, the nurses shift change was at 7, and no nurse was coming in to see me. The pressure was getting really intense, and after a while I told DH I can't take it anymore--go find my nurse!

The nurse came in at 7:30 and told DH to grab a leg. It was the strangest sensation to push. With the next contrax she checked me and said the baby was still high and needed to come down quite a bit. I pushed through 2 more contrax and she told me if I kept pushing like that I'd have the baby soon. After the next contrax she paged the doctor. They came within minutes and my surprise baby was born at 7:44 am--only 15 minutes of pushing with an epidural! I only had 2 very tiny tears that required just a couple sutures.
The painful part was after the delivery. They had to go in and check to make sure there were no tears in my cervix since the doctor had to manually stretch it. That hurt more than having the baby. Luckily everything was okay down there!

Sean weighed 7lbs. 4 oz and was 21 in. long--exactly the same as his daddy at birth! We had trouble agreeing on a boy's name, so we didn't have a name for him when he was born. I finally gave in to one of DH's favorite names, Sean Michael, because it seemed to fit him.
Sean is a happy and healthy baby and we are so blessed to have him in our life. The 4 days of back labor were worth it to have him born healthy with no complications.

June 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
wow, that's a great story!! I am so sorry you had that back labor.. was he facing up? And good for you for pushing so well!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

June 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
great story. I wonder if what i had was just back labor they told me kidney stones or a tumor turned out to be neither. How awesome that you guys let him be a surprise i could never wait lol

June 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
RainyDay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, he was sunny side up! I guess he turned sometime through the night when I was sleeping or while I was pushing because he came out normally.

June 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
LOL @ "sunny side up". My mom always says that about my sister... she still curses her for her almost 3 day labor! So bless your heart lol.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

July 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
the phrase "four days of back labor" makes me so greatful for having been induced thanks for sharing, i love reading these.
July 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
LOL at sunny side up. LMAO I loved reading this! Thank you so much for posting it. I found myself wincing at the back labor. Bless your heart, girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search