Balloon Mama's (Gayle) Birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Veteran
Hi all,
Grandma is holding on to the baby so I thought this was a good time to catch up!

Ok..so you all knew my blood pressure was outta control and while we had the c-section scheduled for Sept 2, doc said it was in best interest for baby AND me to go a week early.

I was on bedrest (yeah..right!) till Friday, August 26th, and my motherin law came in (bless her heart!!) came in on Tuesday to help out with my 7yo son and me seeing how it was a week early.

We went in Friday August 26th at 5:30 and I was excited. But still thinking it was hard to beleieve it was real! We were taken up to the LD department and I was being prepped for surgery and it was getting emotional. I was crying during the whole iv time, catheter time, shaving time, it was just real emotional. DH was good through it all and you could see he was uncomfortable that *I* was so uncomfortable.

They wheeled me down to surgery 20 minutes early and as we were sitting there waiting, we got word that some people were coming down to say "good bye" to me! LOL Good bye?!?!?
It was my mom, dad, mother in law, and son. My mom was crying and I kept telling her to not to..everything was going to be ok.

Into surgery we went and they sat me up to do the epidural. I was pretty nervous and scared. Everyone was VERY nice. But boy did that epidural hurt!!! I felt it actually shoot right up my back between my shoulder blades. I sat there bawling saying "ow ow ow ow ow". They laid me back and the doctor said there "Ok Gayle, you'll be going numb any minute now." Waiting...waiting....waiting. No numb. They were draping the drapes around and I kept saying "I can feel that..and that...and that."
The doctore said out of a few, this does happen and they could try again or just put me out totally. I started to cry again and asked to see my husband. He came in and I told him what was going on and I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be totally out when the baby was born, but I don't want to go again through the spinal and have it NOT work a second time. I kept crying "I don't know what to do.. I don't know what to do" finally my doctor that I LOVE! (remember, but not like stalkerish!) leaned over me and said "Gayle, you have to make a decision now." So I decided to be put out, but then Scott couldn't be in there, but he could watch it all through the door window, and video tape it.

THey kept on prepping me and started to give me oxygen and I remember someone saying "You're going to get sleepy Gayle, we gave you it to you." I remember staring at the oxygen mask and said "You've gave it to me?" ...and that was all she wrote! I was out!

I remember looking at the clock being wheeled out of surgery and it said 10: something. I had been out since 7:47 when I remember looking at that same clock being wheeled in. I was trying my darndest to be alert, I still didn't know if I had a boy or a girl.
I was trying to talk but my throat was really sore. I asked how big it was, one nurse said "7 11 and 19 inches long" Another nurse said "Does she know what it was?" And other made a comment "She's upstairs". which in my drug induced state I was trying to figure out if it was code that I had a girl. LOL
Somewhere in here I heard my favorite doctor say "I was going by the heart rate" and remember he has said all along it was a girl! LOL

I was wheeled up stairs and I could hear all this commotion going on in my room and flashbulbs going off. One of the guys wheeling me in said "Well that family is all in there with the baby before you are"
I could hear people saying "Here she comes..she still doens't know"
And then I looked over and could see my mom holding this little ball of a blanket and I was thinking "Hey..that's my baby"
Scott held up the camera and recorded on me "Gaylie, you had a baby girl!" I started to cry. He brought her over and all I could think was dang..she's small! LOL Very petite. Small features.

I have some pictures of me all drugged looking oh-so-lovely holding her.

We didn't have a name for 2 days. We kept going back and forth with Laurel and Kierstin. It was funny to hear what people had to say about it! LOL

So finally we had a name of Laurel Margaret and it suits her very well!

Most embarrassing moment in the hospital, plugging up the toliet after my first after surgery poo at 1am Sunday morning. ugh!

And I have that after surgery spinal headache,..it' hurts like the dickens!

So here we are home and I feel great! My head hurts more than my incision and I'm ready to get back to the store to work! LOL I HATE sitting here doing nothing.

Pictures to follow soon!

Gayle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search