Julia's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I had a feeling Julia was going to come a little early, b/c I was really starting to leak colostrum badly around 35 weeks- not to mention I went into preterm labor last Monday! But I thought she'd bake a little bit more, especially since on Wednesday (9/23) when I went to the doctor, everything was exactly the same: 1cm and 90%.

So I came home and posted on here about how disappointed I was that nothing had progressed lol "All those Braxton-Hicks for nothing" I thought

About five minutes after I posted (no, seriously), I started getting my first labor contractions (around 2pm on Wednesday) - they were WAY different than the contractions I'd felt during the preterm labor. Much more intense, waaaay lower, definately felt like period cramps. So I started timing them, and right off the bat they were 5 minutes apart, about 45 seconds long. I figured it *had* to be false labor, b/c I was just at the doctor! I timed them off and on for about 2 hours, and they stayed the same, and got a little worse.

Dmitry was taking a nap (he'd just gotten home from work), so I woke him and told him we should probably pack a bag b/c I thought I was in labor but wasn't sure. He promptly fell back asleep ( ), so I got into the bathtub to see if that would make them stop. The water was GREAT, but they definately didn't stop. Dmitry got back up, and all I felt like doing was laying on the couch. It was sort of hard to talk while the contractions were going on, but I was perfectly fine in-between (at that point, around 5pm, they were 3 minutes apart generally). We couldn't figure out what stage of labor I was in! lol

We watched TV for a bit (well, I sort of zoned, Dmitry timed contractions, and the TV played in the background), then Dmitry went to pack while I writhered in pain on the couch. They got REALLY intense REALLY fast, I could barely even walk (though I tried!! But walking made them worse). Let me tell you, everything I learned in the Bradley class FLEW out the window by 8pm. So we left for the hospital around 9pm, b/c I was literally crying during most of the contractions b/c they hurt so badly.

They checked me when I got there, and I was 4cm and 100% effaced, so all I had to do was dialate. And I was in PAIN. It was so hard to relax through the contractions b/c I was hurting so badly. Dmitry kept telling me to breathe, and I think at one point I tried to choke him lol But he was really great with remembering what we learned in the class - it was just me who couldn't follow through with it! lol

I held out for another 3 hours before getting an epidural (which really didn't hurt - felt achy when the medicine went in, but the needle part really didn't hurt), and promptly fell asleep. I woke up 1 1/2 later b/c the nurse wanted to check my progress. When they put the epi in, I'd been 5cm. When they checked me an hour after it'd been in, I was totally dialated - so I went from 5 to 10 in a little under 2 hours.

They called the doc, and I pushed Julia out in 15 minutes. Before I even started pushing she was already down waaaaay low, and my waters were bulging (they broke them right before they delivered her). Right when she was crowning, the doc started going "Stop pushing! Stop pushing!" and I tried, I swear, but she just POPPED out lol I ended up only tearing a little bit, I think I got 4 stitches, which I don't even feel.

She was 4lbs 14oz, and 18 inches long. Unfortunatey, she's been having a hard time keeping her temperature stable, so she'll be in the nursery til sometime next week - so we can't bring her home!!! She's doing really well though, they keep her under the heat lamps, and I can nurse her as much as I want and all that. She's having a little trouble latching on, so we've been using something called a Haberman bottle to suppliment if she can't latch during one of her feeding times. It's a challenge bottle and it teaches her how to suck correctly so she can nurse better. So I'm pumping after every feeding, and my milk supply is UP! lol It's ridiculous! I can pump about an ounce at one time, which is nuts for colostrum lol The nurses think my milk'll be coming in pretty quickly b/c of Julia nursing plus the pumping. We got discharged today, and I was bawling hysterically the whole way home b/c we couldn't bring our baby.

So we're going to be going back and forth between the hospital and our house, and things will be pretty crazy until she comes home next week, so I'll more than likely be MIA, but I promise to check in. I think that's it! Here's some pix!

Labor, pre-epidural

Labor, post-epidural.
September 24th, 2005, 01:00 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie

There's my sweet Julia!!!! She's so tiny! I'm totally in love, it's amazing how fast you fall for those little people! lol

My doc, me, Julia, and Dmitry. Look how happy the doc and Dmitry look - they didn't just go thru 12 hours of labor! lol

I'll post more pix soon, that's all I have for now!!
September 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is an angel!! Congratulations, I am so happy for you!
I know it is hard to leave her behind...try to remember that she is in the best place for her right now and she will be home as soon as you know it!

September 24th, 2005, 07:11 AM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
She's so adorable, Courtney! Congrats again on your beautiful little girl! How precious.

September 24th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations, Courtney and Dimitry! She's so beautiful! I hope she improves fast and comes home soon!
September 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
congratulations, welcome to julia!!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

September 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Corey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Corey
Oh my gosh, she's gorgeous! congratulations! and i know its hard to leave her, but soon she'll be home with you! i'm so happy for you you!!

September 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
She is beautiful Courtney! Congrats to you and Dmitry!

September 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SarahEB21
Congratulations to you and your tiny little Julia! I'm sorry you can't take her home yet, but so glad she's doing okay.

September 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
Courtney,

Congrats!!!! Talk about a surprise... Christa called me to tell me you (and Kelly) had had babies and I was just in shock about you!!! Trust me when I say, these little ones bounce back so quickly!!! Keegan was just a little smaller than Julia, but his temp is finally normal...in fact he was sweating in his sleep last night... give her time and keep her warm and she will be home before you know it!!! In the meantime, try to get as much sleep as possible... you're going to need it!!! Congrats again to mom and dad and little darling girl!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
September 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ActiveDutyMami's Avatar Veteran
what a cutie!

congrats!

September 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
AlaynasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AlaynasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AlaynasMommy
She is SO PRECIOUS COURTNEY!!

September 24th, 2005, 03:32 PM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
awww congrats!!!

September 24th, 2005, 04:35 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!
September 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Toya10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Toya10
This is wild I remember you had just posted then when I had a chance to get back on you had that precious little one. I had to call Corey in here to read he says he hopes he can rememeber everything like D'mitri! Pics are great and she is so adorable!! Congrats again I still have a lil while longer but who knows.
September 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
stephie1012's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
omg i cant believe that u had her.....see what happens while im gone lol she is so cute.....she will be home soon dont worry

stephanie

September 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
locawith2kids
Seems like you had a very good birth. SHe'll be home soon, girl before you know it.
September 26th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Veteran
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful! I'm glad everything went well with your birth and hope she will be home with you soon!

<center>
<a href="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/cagirl78/9ad17b01.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
</center>
September 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
little_hunnyb's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to little_hunnyb Send a message via MSN to little_hunnyb Send a message via Yahoo to little_hunnyb
Absolutely awesome...congrats!
Mom to Sirus 3 years old
Soon to be mom ???
I am hoping for a girl!
6 weeks & 3 days pregnant
September 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
she is so adorable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search