Kaitlyns Birth Story (Sept 18th, 2005)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
Ill see how much I can fill in here. I was suppose to go in early Friday morning to the hospital - but they called me and told me that all of their LDRP's were full, and that I had to wait to be called in. It shouldnt have been a shock to me, since its been on the news that the hospital has been turning away laboring women due to lack of beds on the maternity floor.
Anyhow, I finally got my call Saturday when a bed was finally available, and they started me on the prostin gel, and they sent me home an hour later after monitoring, to come back 5 hrs later. I started cramping once we got home, and just walked them off. I went back to the hospital I had no more progress - I was still at 2cm and 40% effaced, but I was having too many contractions for them to do another dose of gel, I was getting them every 1-3 minutes apart. So they admitted me and started me on pitocin. 16 pokes later, they finally found a vein to stick the IV in After that, the contractions were so much harder, but they never did a thing. At around 3am at this point I was shaking non stop for a couple hours, and I decided to get some demorol, which worked like a charm - I fell asleep for 4 hours till they woke me up to take my vitals.

They did an internal at that point, around 7:30am, and I was still at 2cms and 50% effaced. A couple hours later my OB walked in at 9am, and he broke my bag of waters for me, since he said he couldnt let me go any longer without progress like that. Once he did that, things progressed quicker. I dialated 1-2 cm's every half hour. Once 11am came, I stalled at 7cm. He told me that I was having another posterior baby, and thats why I was in so much pain, along with the pitocin. After 3 hrs he did another exam and I was still at 7cm. He said my body was having a hard time tolerating the contractions since I was so tense, and that it was counter-acting the contractions from happening. He said if I didnt get an epidural and get some time to rest my body, I would be going in for a c-section. So we agree'd.
Two pokes later again for the epidural, it felt so good. I only felt like I had to take a poop each time I had a contraction - barely noticable.

About an hour later the epidural felt like it was wearing off and I felt like my body was automatically pushing something out so they checked me and I was almost at a 10. I guess thats what my body needed. It took a long time for a little bit of lip to go away to help pushing since thats what I felt like I needed to do, but the OB let me push anyway. About 15 minutes later Kaitlyn was born , weighing 7lbs 3 oz, and 20 1/4 inches long!

Its been taking a while with the BF'ing, but its coming along slowly. I have flat nipples so each time they 'get out' if shes not constantly sucking it goes back in.
But last night she ate like a champ, for 50 minutes. Shes having a hard time on the right breast though.

Thats about it Im in a lot of pain right now, kinda swollen and bruised from all the pokes , plus the tear. I hope everyone else is doing great!

September 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
lauren in hi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, sounds like a rough labor! Sorry you had to go through all of that! I'm glad you have your little one now, though. Congrats on the BFing. I have flat nipples, too, but I have been pumping in the meantime, so maybe it'll be a little easier for Abby to feed soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search