Andrew James Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went in for my 36 week check up (was suppose to be my first internal exam) on September 20th at 10:45 am... I had been swelling for weeks so they have been watching me closely, Well my blood pressure was high, the nurse checked like 3 times and then took me to the exam room. The one doctor came in and checked again and told me that she is sending me to labor and delivery for a non stress test and blood work becaus emy blood pressure was too high. So I drive to the hospital and they set me up doing the non stress test which came back great. The took about 7 viles of blood and about an hour later the nurse and doctor came in and told me that the blood tests came back positive for HELLP Syndrome. They explained to me what it was and that the only cure was to get the baby out. So the doctor did an internal exam and my cervix hadn't even soften yet. So my doctor said she has to do an emergency c-section and too call my husband. This is now 2:30 in the afternoon. So I start crying and call my husband, he comes and gets there within the hour. By this time they have my ivs in and me ready to be wheeled in. At 4 PM they took me into the OR and got me ready by giving me a spinal (not too bad once it was done) and put me on oxygen, shortly after I couldn't feel anything from my chest done and I got the shakes from the spinal. So they put warm blankets on my arms and brought my husbadn in. At 5:02 PM, Andrew James was born a healthy screaming boy. He weighed 5 lbs 11 1/2 oz and was 19 inches long. They took him and made sure everything was ok since he was early and small. And then my husband went with him to the nursery while they finished the c-section.

I won't go into too many details about the next two days for me because it was a rough 2 days. I pretty much was in bed for 2 full days with Iv Fluid, magnesium sulfate (to prevent siezures due to HELLP among other things), and hooked up with these things on my legs to prevent clotting in my legs. Finally my blood tests and blood pressure started getting better and they were able to move me to a post op room after 2 nights.

They continued to monitor my blood pressure and do blood tests and I got to start walking and getting out of bed after 2 days (which was hard at first) and got to eat some solid food after 3 days . Andrew and I were discharged on Saturday and it felt great to be at home again.

I am still trying to take it easy, but am doing much better. Andrew has been doing great since day one and he is a champion breast feeder...

September 27th, 2005, 06:55 AM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
Wow... That must have been shocking. I'm sorry your delivery was so rough! Congrats on your healthy baby boy! Make sure you take it easy, mama. ((HUGS)) That's great he's doing so well with BFing.

September 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Congrats on your baby! And take care of yourself (((HUGS)))

September 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow that must have been terrifying for you...sorry things were so rough but congrats and welcome lil baby boy....

September 27th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Brandy81
Sorry it was so rough on ya! But CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Aww hugs. I am sure that made for a scary birth situation. Congratulations on the birth of little Andrew James!!!!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
September 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM
ShaysMother's Avatar Veteran
CONGRADULATIONS!!!
I'm sorry you had such a rough time. I know about that magnesium sulfate ...That stuff is evil...I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. (I had it for Pre-term labor with my first)

i just wanted to add that Andrew James was one of the names We had picked out..so I just had to say that I really like that name.

Wife to Ernie ~ age 23
Mother to Shayla ~ age 3
And Cole ~ 8 months
October 13th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Goodness, that obviously didn't go as planned. I'm sorry your delivery was so rough! However, congratulations again and that's wonderful that Andrew is doing so well!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search