Alayna's birth story!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2005, 04:07 AM
AlaynasMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to AlaynasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to AlaynasMommy
ALAYNA IS HERE! I was leaking fluid for two days before anyone noticed. The bad thing is, I went to my OB appointment the day before and they checked me for fluid leaking and said that there was nothing to be concerned about. When I got to L&D on Tuesday, they told me that there was an upper bag and lower bag of water?! The lower bag was completely gone. I was leaking that for 2 days. I noticed sometehing weird for those two days, I asked, but I was told it was nothing. When they told me about that I was ###### scared because I am GBS + and I know that if my water broke or started leaking and it went untreated the baby could contract GBS easily. Anyway, I went into L&D on Tuesday and they checked me. I was still 3.5 cm's and 90% effaced. Well, they did a slide for my fluid check and they also did a scan to check. The scan showed that my fluid was very low and the doctor said he HAD to induce me because of the fluid and because of the fact that my BP was a record high!

Now, everyone knows I didn't want to be induced. I asked if there was any way I could not be induced, but they said that they couldn't break the remainder of my water yet, my baby was in danger of getting GBS because of the leaking, and if they broke it COMPLETELY, she'd be even in more danger. I gave in. At 6:30 they administered the Pitocin, Magnesium (for the Pre Eclampsia/High BP), regular IV fluids and Clyndomiacin (for the GBS) and by 7:30 they broke the remainder of my water. I was doing so good with the contractions, I was breathing through them, they didn't even seem that bad until 12. By 12:30 they had to put me on oxygen because of the fact that the contractions were SO strong and I was breathing through them well, but my asthma was really getting bad. I couldn't catch my breath, and the resident was just scared of me having an attack. I told her that I wanted to go naturally, but she really talked me into an epidural because she was scared of me having an attack. Okay, whatever. I just gave in because the contractions were getting pretty bad and I could handle them, but when they explained to me that if I couldn't breathe, Alayna couldn't breathe, that just made me change my mind about the natural birth. I just wanted Alayna to be healthy.

1:30 they gave me the epidural. It didn't hurt at all, which was amazing. I thought it'd be so painful! They were extremely great with the epidural, but my mom passed out. My mom said that it just reminded her (flashback) of when my dad had to have spinal taps and it was just too much for her. They almost had to get her an IV. :x I told her that I'll never ever let her forget that, and Alayna will know all about that as well. lol I only had one problem with the epidural. I couldn't feel my legs at all. Whenever I had to get an internal, they had to move my legs for me because I felt nothing below my belly button. It was a terrible feeling.

After that, everything was going pretty well. They still had me on oxygen because of the fact that I really still couldn't breathe. I think it was the pressure or SOMETHING, because I kept feeling like my lungs weren't fully getting air. But with the oxygen, for some reason, I kept getting phlem and almost choking on that. Ugh. It was a lose/lose situation. Unfortunately, in the aspect of going naturally, the birth didn't go as planned. Besides all of that, everything was great, though. I was dialating slowly until 5am. The doctors said it was the magnesium and pitocin fighting each other. Apparently, the pitocin speeds things up and the magnesium slows things down. It didn't seem like a long time, though. The resident was amazing, though. She was such a great person and really kept me informed and kept talking to me. She said I was a great patient. I rock, don't I? lol

After 5 am I started dialating quicker. By 7 am I had gone from 6cm to 9cm's in just a matter of two hours. They were completely shocked, and called the doctor to come in. By 7:30 I was telling them that I really was getting the urge to push and they kept telling me to just breathe through the urges. I tried, but had to be put BACK on oxygen because the urges were so strong. She told me I was only 9.5 cm's and if I pushed while I still had a 1\2 to go, my cervix would get swollen and I'd have to have a C-Section?! I never heard of that before, but...I didn't want a C-Section at all!! Shortly after, at 7:35 I just couldn't hold it anymore and I knew she was coming. The doctor wasn't there yet and I just knew that Alayna was gonna come if the doctor was there or not!! lol The resident checked me and I was 10 cm & 100%. The doctor came at 7:40, just after I started to push, and I think I did pretty well. I just couldn't catch my breathe in between pushes, but again, I was put on the oxygen for that. I didn't push for long at all, just around 20 minutes, and Alayna was out. She weighed 8 pounds 7 oz, 22 inches and has a FULL head of hair!! I mean FULL! She was born at 8:07 am. I did tear and I needed a good number of stitches, but it was all good. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd all be!!

The doctor was so shocked that she was 8 pounds, though! Even though I was diabetic (gestational) he said that it's just crazy that she was so big. And I delivered at 36w6d. According to the NICU, she's on the border of being full term and a preemie. *sigh* So every nurse and doctor you talk to says something different. I guess the NICU is considering her preemie? I don't even know at this point!! They said she would have been put in the newborn nursery, but since I was leaking fluid, was GBS+ and had a high temperature during delivery, they just wanted to make sure everything was okay with her. Thank GOD she didn't get any infections or anything, but they're just keeping her there until she could take a full bottle. Her biliruben count is also slightly off, so she's under phototherapy lamps for a little bit. She's doing good, though!!

The bad thing was I couldn't see her the whole first day because I was hooked up to a magnesium pump until Thursday, but I slept most of Wednesday anyway. The Magnesium didn't make me sick, but I was just so exhausted from everything. My mom kept going down to get me pictures of her, though. lol She's so beautiful and looks like me and her dad. She definitely has her dad's height.

When I asked them if she was put in the NICU because she was born at 36w6d, they said that wasn't the case. They said that a lot of full term babies are even in the NICU because of reasons. They sad that she would have been put there no matter when I had her, because of the fact that I would have probably still had a high fever, was GBS positive and in St. Barnabas Hospital, GBS babies are almost ALWAYS put in the NICU for antibiotics and observation even if the mother was put on antibiotics during delivery and stuff. She's in awesome hands and I've met some awesome people there!!

I don't think I left anything out. lol

October 9th, 2005, 06:46 AM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Sounds like you did great! What a little sweetie!

October 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow, what a story! Glad you are both ok!
Due January 2nd with baby #3!

October 9th, 2005, 11:36 AM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
Congrats!! Your poor mom! Sorry everything didn't go the way you wanted it, but sounds like you did pretty darn well anyway. Hoping she comes home soon!

October 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Shalini's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad everything worked out ok for both of you .. she is so cute !!! Hope u get to bring her home soon !

October 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
wow thats crazy how big she is i had Ariana at 36w2d and they were saying she was huge for being a month early. They had to consider her premie because she was born before 37 weeks but never got sent to the nicu. Hope Alayna can come home soon!

October 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I hope she can come home soon too!! The neonatologist said she's technically a preemie, but just large because of my gestational diabetes. I hate my clinic for not giving me the proper care so she wouldn't get that big. The doctor who delivered me was SHOCKED. (He's not a clinic doctor. Only the residents work in the clinic.)

October 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My babies were always put in the NICU too due to my testing gbs+.

Congratulations to you!! I'm glad all went well!

October 10th, 2005, 05:38 AM
What got me mad is that's probably the only reason she got put in the REAL NICU, not the "Step Up" unit in the first place; because I tested GBS+! If she was just put in the step up unit for just being watched to see if she was going to get sick or anything, than she'd probably be home by now. They said the REAL NICU has these rules that the baby has to drink so much per her body weight. Even though she's in the Step Up unit now, Alayna still has to go by the NICU rules because her neonatologist that saw her in the real NICU is seeing her in the Step Up Unit. Alayna was in the real NICU for a total of 5 hours, which isn't bad!!

October 10th, 2005, 08:26 PM
little_hunnyb's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to little_hunnyb Send a message via MSN to little_hunnyb Send a message via Yahoo to little_hunnyb
Congratulations!! You go girl!!! She looks adorable...
Mom to Sirus 3 years old
Soon to be mom ???
I am hoping for a girl!
6 weeks & 3 days pregnant
October 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!
October 13th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations Again!!
October 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Congratulations!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search