Krish's Birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Shalini's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was working until 09/23 ... As I walked out from my last day at work, I was so relieved .. I couldn't wait to get home , rest for a day or two and then start planning for my little one's arrival .. there was so much to be done ... I had to get all the baby stuff ready ... then I had to do a little bit of shopping for myself for the hospital and post-delivery ... then there were baby projects to be taken care of .. I was excited that I had almost 2 weeks before my due date and I had not even felt a contraction until then, so I thought I was safe !!! But little did I know what Krish was thinking

I got home and we had some friends over for dinner .. They left around 11.30 pm and I went straight to bed after I finished up cleaning etc. My husband left the house for some urgent work and said he will be back soon ... I woke up to go to the bathroom around 1.30 am ... and I saw a few spots of blood on my panty ... I freaked out since it looked like fresh blood .. I did not know wht to do .. I called my husband who said I should go to sleep and not worry about it ... then I called the hospital; they said that I could come in but it sounds like my plug and since I was not having any pains they would send me back anyway ..so I just lay there thinking of what this could be ... in a few minutes I started feeling some cramping but hardly anything noticeable .. around 4.20 am I felt my first contraction and started feeling them every 20 minutes .. my husband came home and went straight to bed saying it was probably nothing .. I am still mad at him for the way he acted that night ...Anyways I had a dr's appointment at 10 am the next morning and since the cx were still 20 minutes apart I decided to wait ... When I went in for my dr's appointment, I was pretty sure that she would send me back home to wait ... She did my internal and asked me to go straight to the hospital ..she said I was 6cms dilated !!!!!!!! I was in shock !! My baby was going to be here in a few hours !! The only thing was that my bp was really high ..she thought it must be due to anxiety since I never had any problems with my bp throughout the 9 months ! She called the hospital and informed them that I was coming in ..she also said to them that my patient is a bit too calm even tho' she is 6cms !! Once I got to the hospital and got settled in, the cx were still 20 mins apart .. they were also worried about my high bp ...they decided to start me on pitocin to get them to be more intense and frequent ... they offered me the epidural and I said yes .. Even though the pain had been tolerable until then, I was a bit nervous about the pitocin and also the internals that they were giving me were really painful !!! The epidural worked so beautifully !! I did not feel a thing .. My dr came in and was chatting for us for some time and we were joking and laughing about various things .. I found it difficult to believe that I was in active labor and was not feeling a thing ... around 3.30 or so I was 9.5 cms dilated and in 10 mins I started feeling the epidural wearing off and I could feel the urge to push ... Suddenly all these people came into the room and I started pushing ... but the dr had warned me earlier that even though the baby was head down he was looking up instead of down and was in a slightly weird position .. I was pushing but nothing was happening ... I had to get an episiotomy and they did a vaccum and finally I pushed the baby out ... Krish was born at 5.05 pm .. He was 7lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Due to the vaccum his head was really conical in shape .. It is getting better with time ... My MIL freaked out when she saw his head ... but to me he was perfect and I did not even notice it I got a few stitches but my problems started after he came out ... they gave me a local anaesthetic while doing the stitches but I was screaming in pain ..so they had to give me full sedation and I passed out while they stitched me up ... My BP was still out of control and now my bleeding wouldn't stop once I woke up .. I could feel myself passing blood like one passes urine (sorry TMI) and I was in pain but they refused to give me pain killers since they were waiting for my lab results to see what was wrong ! I lay there in L&D until 2 am when they finally gave me some pain killers and moved me to my room ... those few hours were terrible and I could not see my baby after seeing him and holiding him initially ... I got him in my room the next morning at 6am ! But apparently my lab work came back abnormal and my haemoglobin count had dropped to 5 because of all the bleeding and my bp was still very high ... so the next afternoon, I was moved to l&d again and given a blood transfusion and magnesium for my bp ... i was monitored for 24 hours !! That was the longest 24 hours for me ... they even refused to let me eat and I was starving from 2 days of hunger ... I loved the drs and nurses who helped me with my delivery but hated every dr and nurse who looked after me after I delivered ...I had to stay back in the hospital for one extra day due to all these complications and I couldn't wait to get home! I could not breastfeed him while in the hospital because of all the medications and he refused to latch on once we got home ..so I started pumping ..we saw a lactation consultant too but nothing seemed to work .. We're still working on it and he seems to finally get a hang of it .. hopefully that will work out ....

Inspite of all the complications that I had, I will go through it all over again if I have to .. Krish is so beautiful and I don't even remember my life before him !!!

October 9th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SarahEB21
Congratulations, he's so beautiful! It's great that you seemed to have an easy labor, but I'm sorry you had to go through all of that afterward!

October 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow ! Thats some story!
He is gorgeous! Congratulations, I am so glad you are home and doing better!

October 9th, 2005, 08:32 PM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Hoping in from May 2005...

He is beautiful!!!
October 10th, 2005, 08:20 PM
little_hunnyb's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to little_hunnyb Send a message via MSN to little_hunnyb Send a message via Yahoo to little_hunnyb
I'm so happy for you Shalini...you deserve it...I'm sorry to hear about your complications afterwards but it's good to hear you would do it all over again...Congratulations!!
Mom to Sirus 3 years old
Soon to be mom ???
I am hoping for a girl!
6 weeks & 3 days pregnant
October 13th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow Shalini that is quite a birth story! I'm sorry you had to deal with so many complications! lol I guess you could say, at least it started off easy! Congratulations again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search