Mia's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Let's see.... Wednesday (10/12) I had a standard OB appt. My doc was going to be out of town from 10/13 through 10/16 so we wanted to come on in and get the induction date set and get checked out. I was told that there was really no change and that Mia would be delivered on the 19th. Later that evening I experienced the typical menstrual like cramps that I usually get following an internal and the slight loss (and I mean very slight) of some of my plug.

So, I wake up on Thursday morning still feeling kinda crampy, but nothing major. The cramps persisted through out the day and while Lance and I were at lunch we decided to time them..."just to see". They were pretty inconsistent so we thought nothing of it. Well at 8:00 that night we decided to time them again and they were about 6 mins apart plus I had been losing bits of my plug all day...but still thought nothing of it.

Ok, that evening, I was chatting with my sister online and we were joking about the fact that she predicted that Mia would arrive on the 13th of October and earlier that day Lance and I were joking that now that we finally purchased all my hospital stuff that afternoon I would go probably into labor tonight. Again, none of us thought anything significant was going on because the cramps were really pretty bearable. Not once did we assume I was in labor. Then my water broke and the real contractions started! 9:45...off to the hospital...

We get to our room just after 10 pm, got settled, hooked up to the external monitors (10:38), went through the q and a session and have an internal exam (3 cm / 50+% effaced). Ok at this point, I'm hurting pretty bad...and thinking screw the "going natural" - Bring on the drugs! So, I knew going into this that if I decided to ask for an epidural there was a strong chance that I might not be able to get one due to a previous back injury which occurred at the L5 area of my spine. (This is where an epidural is administered.) We chatted with the anesthesiologist who unfortunately confirmed my suspicions. He said I could have one if I want, but there would be a very good chance that it would result in a wet tap and the spinal headaches could last for up to a month. lol Decision Made - Going natural by default.

I was offered a shot of Stadol - which I gladly accepted and which I was told "would not take away the pain, but would take the edge off and probably help me to sleep". Uh huh...whatever...didn't do a darn thing. At this point I have no idea what time it is all I know is that my contractions have started to feel different...there is a lot more pressure when they spike. I just thought it was because they were getting closer and closer together...lol...I had no idea how close I really was. Everything was moving so fast.
So, the nurse asked me to get up and empty my bladder between contractions. Ok...no problem. lol That is until one of those transition contractions hit in mid stride and about brought me to my knees. Some how I managed to urinate and all I could think about was...crap, why did I have Mexican food for lunch?! I'm going to end up pooping on the delivery table. Of course, that thought was short lived as another contraction hits. Then the most wonderful thing happened.

My nurse had gone with me into my bathroom to help. She realized just how much pain I was in and put one of her hands on my hip and the other on my lower back and just pushed with her palms. I swear it was light a shining light from heaven. The pain - gone. The contractions that spiked before now felt more wave like and flowing and I'm thinking - let's do this! So we get back to the bed and I labor for about 15 more minutes.

I'm checked again - yep, there's little Mia's head. Let the fury of activity begin. The room went from Lance, my nurse and myself to a whole slew of people. It's just after 1:00 am on 10/14. I pushed for 15 minutes and out comes my little girl. What an amazing feeling! I did have a 2nd degree tear which required 5 stitches.

Ok...the funny stuff...

1. I'm pushing with my eyes tightly shut - mentally working through the contraction. The rest was told to me by Lance... The head is about half way out and the doc tells me to stop. At this point the doctor all the nurses - with the exception of one - sort of turn to the side and I'm asked to resume pushing. Well, out pops Mia's head and wham! the one nurse who didn't turn is covered in amniotic fluid. She promptly left to take a shower while everyone else just chuckled.

2. I'm done and getting stitched up....and we all hear something fall - yep, there goes the placenta. Slipped off the tray, bounced off the wall and landed on the floor. lol Lovely.
October 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Veteran
LOL...what a great story! Congratulations and I'm so glad everything went well for everyone, but the nurse who got splattered!

<center>
<a href="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/cagirl78/9ad17b01.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
</center>
October 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Shalini's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved reading ur story .. wow, going natural must not have been easy ! LOL on the amniotic fluid and placenta .. Congrats once again !

October 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! She sure is a cutie pie!
October 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats!!!
October 18th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Congrats!! And cudos to you for going natural!!!

lol about the placenta and the amniotic fluid!!!!!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

October 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats!!! great story. you did a wonderful job....especially without the epi!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
October 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
Excellent birth story! LOL Congratulations once again and it sounds like you handled everything just beautifully. Poor nurse. Poor placenta. LOL

October 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
janetc's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats! Mia is beautiful.

Your birth story reminded me of mine, only I "spashed" the doctor not the nurse. She was dressed very nicely, and hardly had time to put on a coat before Emily arrived..... I actually ruined her shoes because she didn't have time to cover them.

While she was stitching up my tear/episiotomy, she was bare-foot....
October 20th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww...what a great story. Congrats on going natural. She's beautiful!

October 20th, 2005, 09:43 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Congrats on going natural!! I got that stadol too and it just made me cranky lol Your daughter's a sweetie pie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search