Jacob Henry's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Sarahmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WARNING: LONG STORY!! Its a novel......

After 6 days in the hospital, I'm finally home! Warning, I had one of those really long and hard labors. But both Jacob and I are fine and I will definitely be having more kids.

Jacob Henry was born on Tues. Oct. 18th at 6:33 pm weighing 8 lbs and measuring 21 inches long. He was born at 37 weeks and 5 days.

Night 1
I was admitted at 7pm on Sunday the 16th for an induction due to high blood pressure. We came in and got settled and spent the first hour meeting our nurses, going over the procedure, what to expect, etc. Then they tried to start my IV (heploc?). It took 3 nurses and an IV Tech to finally start a line. They blew 3 veins and poked me a total of 8 times before it finally worked. The whole process took an hour. I should have taken this as a bad omen for the rest of my labor experience. Once I had the the heploc in, they inserted the Cervadil behind my cervix and gave me a sleeping pill. At this point my sister came in the room with my mom, which was a total surprise! She wasn't supposed to fly in until the end of the month (closer to his due date) but she changed her flight as a surprise so she could be there for the induction (and given my experience, I'm SOOO HAPPY she was there!)

I fell asleep around 11 pm but was woken at 1 am by excrutiating back pains and cramps...it was the medicine. I sat in bed debating whether to call the nurse because I knew she'd have to page my doc to get stronger pain killers approved. By 3 am I couldn't take it any longer and they paged my doc and I got a morphine shot.

Picture of me during the first night (pre-IV). Still look pretty happy:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...Birthday001.jpg

Day 1
I was woken at 7 am by my doc. for my first internal. I had progressed a little and had started to soften but not enough to start the pitocin yet. They checked me again 9 am and I was close to 2 cm and soft (and contracting on my own) so they pulled the Cervadil and started the pitocin. Within 2 hours I had started somewhat regular contractions but nothing too painful or strong. The nurse came in every hour to turn up the pitocin and take my vitals. During this time I was able to walk around, sit on the birthing ball to help move along the process. By the afternoon, my contractions really hadn't changed and the dr. did my first internal with the pitocin....I was still only about 2 cm. She was concerned with my lack of progress and my lack of strong labor pattern, but let me go until 5 to make a decision. Either stop pit. and go home, stop pit. and start again later in the night. or stop and start the next morning. Both the last two options would be monitored and if nothing happened we would just go home and see if labor would start naturally. We told her we didn't want her to break my water unless my body was progressing. So at 5 pm she came back and checked me, and I had move a slight bit closer to 3 cm. (pit. was up to 22 by then!) DH and I decided we would stop pit., stay the night and re-start the pitocin the next day at 54am. If the pit did nothing again, we would go home. Dr. thought that was our best option and choice.

Night 2
No meds, just walked a ton and sat and rocked on birthing ball to get things progressing. I was contracting on my own but still nothing too powerful or painful.

Day 2
They started the pit. at 4 am and within 10 min. I was starting a much more regular and strong contraction pattern than the day before. I knew the pit was working this time. My dr. was coming in to check me at 8 am and if I hadn't changed any, we would go home. If not, we would continue with pit. or she would break my water (which I wasn't crazy about). When she came in to check me at 8am, I had moved to a good 3cm and my cervix had moved forward and thinned. She said that things were very favorable for breaking my water and starting active labor patterns. So she broke my water around 8 am. IMMEDIATELY my contractions changed. In a matter of 30 minutes I had moved from my bed to my birthing ball, breathing through some pretty powerful contractions. They were coming every 2 min. lasting for 45 seconds. This went on for about 2 hours. I kept telling myself that I had to make it to 4/5 cm to ask for the epidural. At about 11, they came in to check me and I was approaching 5 cm!! Woohoo!! I had prepped the nurse earlier that I wanted an epi at 4 or 5 cm so they had the anesthesiologist in there right away, god bless him! He was wonderful at explaining it and calming my fears and it started working right away; and it worked like it was supposed to! The worst part of the epi process was sitting still through my monster contractions. After that it was great, I could still tell when contractions were coming, but only the pressure of them.

By 2pm they checked me again and I was already to 8cm! The dr. and nurses said that I was moving so fast, we'd have a baby soon. They kept telling me to let them know if I got the urge to push. 30 min later I was 10cm and 100% effaced. Nurses told me to start doing some mini-pushes but not to push unless I really felt the urge. So we waited, and waited, and finally an hour later I said that I thought I had a little urge...so they got me set-up and I started to push during contractions. Well, turns out ladies that I DID have an urge....and urge to POO!!!! Yep, I poo'd on the table....more than once! We were all laughing about it but it was kindof embarassing. Good thing everyone in the room had a really good sense of humor about it, including the nurses.

At this point I was pushing pretty hard through my contractions, but I was still trying to get used to what pushing felt like with an epi. I was getting a little frustrated because I knew my pushes weren't really doing anything, but it felt like I was pushing so hard. The dr. came in to help me with pushing a couple times, and she felt to see where the baby was positioned. She couldn't really tell, but she thought he was face up. She had them turn down my epi. so I could feel more of the urge to push and to help move the baby down. Instead, I felt the most excruciating back pain and contractions I'd ever felt, and pushing through them didn't help. At this point, I was so frustrated that nothing I did was getting this baby down, I was in pain, my pushing wasn't working, even the nurses and everyone saw that I was pushing really hard and he should have been moving, but he wasn't. I had been pushing for almost 3 hours and he was still at -1!!!!

Last ditch effort (epi turned down, oxygen turned up):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...itch_effort.jpg

Finally the dr. came back and checked the baby again and saw he hadn't moved, but his head was now starting to swell, and she was pretty convinced he was face up. You all know where this is going.....she pretty much said we had to get the baby out and pushing wasn't going to do it, we had to have a section.

I started to cry along with most everyone else in the room. I had gone through so much already, to have it end in a section was so disappointing.

So they prepped me, and wheeled me into the room. My dr. had some nursing students in there with her so she was explaining every part of the procedure (which I didn't want to hear) and when they got to the part about opening the uterus and pulling the baby's head up, she kept saying "Ok, let me try this one more time". and I kept feeling more and more tugging. pretty soon people were running around and she was calling for stuff. DH saw her get up onto the table and start yanking.....She couldn't get the baby out of the birth canal! She had to use the vacuum to get him out of the canal he was wedged in so tight, and my body lifted off the table a little bit. She finally pulled him out and it felt so weird to me but I was just so happy that he was out and ok. He cried a little bit, and they gave him a little oxygen, but he was just fine. he even scored 9 on his apgar.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...Birthday007.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...Proud_Daddy.jpg

During that entire ordeal, the baby never showed any signs of distress....through induction, pushing, c-section...his heartrate stayed steady. I asked the dr. later if this could have been avoided and she said the he was actually in some transverse presentation and it probably would have been an almost impossible vaginal delivery. And if we had waited, he would have been a very large baby with other complications for a vaginal delivery.

Jacob is doing great, however he had to go under billi lights for 2 days and we came home with a billi blanket. His number is 15.3 right now and we're hoping they will have decreased tomorrow (we bring him back at 9 am to the hospital).

Jacob under lights:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...Jaundice002.jpg

Our little "Glow Bug": (Billi blanket)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...Jaundice007.jpg

I lost a lot of blood during the section and now I'm anemic and have to take iron. I'm looking at a pretty long recovery.

I could go through so many "what if's" in my mind, but I'll end up driving myself crazy. The important thing is we're home, our baby is with us, and we're so in love right now. I'll post more pics of the little guy later. I've gone through 3 feedings and 2 MAJOR diaper blow-outs while I've written this.

Going Home
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/hutc...oingHome006.jpg

Thanks for all your support! Good luck with your deliveries!

October 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Anne07Nov05's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, Sarah, what a rough labor... I'm so sorry to hear that it wasn't easier for you. I know you were worried about being induced, and then you ended up having your worst fears confirmed... I'm so sorry.

On the bright side: Little Jacob is absolutely precious! I am so envious that you have your little boy with you now! The pictures of your husband holding him (right after the section), and also the one of the 3 of you in the "going home" picture, made me cry. I can see how happy you all are--it's so touching. I'm so glad that everything worked out, and your baby boy is doing well.

Thanks for posting your birth story! I love reading the details, so I can be prepared for anything.... Well, as prepared as possible, anyway.

Congrats again, and welcome back to JM!

October 23rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So sorry you had a rough labor... but Jacob is just perfect!! What a sweet baby boy! Congratulations. Hope you are resting and recovering and enjoying your new addition!
October 23rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
maymay
What a BEAUTIFUL baby and a fantastic story! You survived!!
October 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
*Jessie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Jessie*
I am sorry that you had such a rough time!! It is all worth it now!!! Congrats!! He is such a beautiful baby!!

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautiful tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt form making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my nails from helping weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheek and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley
October 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
Congrats, he is soo beautiful!!

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

October 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Aww girl...I'm sorry things went so rough!! I definately understand though...I've been there twice but the good news is ....at the end of the day all that matters is Jacob is here and healthy no matter how he got here

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
October 24th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Super Mommy
That was a very sweet story!!! I'm so sorry that you had such a rough birth!!

The pictures are great, and it's so neat that you tied them into the story!

CONGRATULATIONS & I'm very happy for you!

October 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
HavensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HavensMommy
Oh my goodness... wow! So sorry it was such a rough birth for ya, but I had to laugh at the begninning when you said "YEs I want more kids! "

He's adorable...I'm glad everyone is home, happy & healthy!

-Kristin
October 25th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you had such a rough time! But your son is adorable. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
October 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
~*Melanie*~
He is so beautiful-- congratulations! I am sorry you had such a rough time, but I am so happy it wasn't bad enough that you never want any more little ones! You look so great in all of the pictures-- it is hard to believe you went through all of that because you look so wonderful and happy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search