Corey's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
October 26th I went for a 40 week appointment. He was 1 day late, so I was going to get an induction date. The doctor checked me and I was 1 cm. Same as the week before. She did a US to check his fluid level. It was very low. So the doctor decides I should head over to the hospital. On my way to the hospital I called to cancel my manicure appointment I had for that day

I got to the hospital at 9:30 and amazingly enough they weren't busy. The hospital is one of the busiest on the East Coast. I go to the room and a doctor shows up. She decides to give me cervadil to help things along. That was around 10:00. DH shows up around 11 with some KFC and a doughnut. I was very happy about that.

NST was fine for 2 hours. Dr. comes back and says things look OK. She'll come back at 10 that night and see if theres any progress. All day there's nothing going on. Not a contraction, no water breaking, zippy. New Dr shows up at 11. He takes the cervadil out-somehow Dr #1 placed it behind my cervix-and Dr #2 had trouble finding it and getting it out. Lots of tears at that point. Dr #2 called Dr Evil after that.

Dr Evil puts in another cervadil and tells me to give Corey a pep talk. Me and DH talk to him and tell him it would be nice for him to be born soon. I'm starving at this point. No food after 2 O'clock has started to make me cranky. Over night nothing happens.

7 AM a new doctor comes in. She's very nice, never seen her at an OB appointment before. Cervadil had fallen out by this point. She checks and I'm 1 cm still. Time to start the Pitocin. Contractions start after about 3 hours. By 1 O'Clock I ask for an epidural.

I laughed and told DH to be strong, not to faint during the epidural. Bad idea-I almost fainted. The anesthesiologist had the needle in my back and I start feeling woozy. I ask him if I can lay down. He tells me I have a needle in my back-absolutely not. I tell him I just want to rest for awhile. DH is looking at me like I'm an idiot Epidural is done and I lay down. Feeling OK now. They gave me some oxygen because my pressure got a little low.

Minimal progress being made, they increase Pitocin to 12 by this point. Corey's heartrate was dropping a little with each contraction. So they stop Pitocin and put me back on oxygen. His heart rate is fine again. 2 hours later they start Pitocin again. Same thing happens with Corey's heartrate. Doctor comes back in and discusses trying to continue labor, or having a C Section. She leaves for a few minutes and comes back telling me I'm getting a C Section. His heart rate had dropped down to the 80's a few times.

Everything started happening really quickly at this point. DH gets his scrubs on and tries to get me relaxed. They start the procedure and I can feel the 1st 2 incisions They increased the anesthesia and I'm ready to start singing. No more pain after that.

Corey was born at 10:32 PM October 27th. He weighed 6 lbs 3 ozs. And was 19 1/4 inches long. The cord was wrapped around his neck, which was why his heart rate was dropping. Each contraction was tightening the cord around his neck. He got 8 and 9 on his APGARs

They sent his umbilical cord off to be studied. I don't know if you all remember but I was hospitalized for a blocked umbilical artery in August. They are going to study it and see if they can find out why he had problems. They aren't sure if they'll be able to narrow it down though.

I'd post pictures but DH and my FIL are very anti picture.
November 1st, 2005, 04:49 AM
Veteran
Wow, your story is very similar to mine! I was induced and ended up with a c-section too.

Congratulations and best wishes on your recovery.
November 6th, 2005, 11:16 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Aw! Bet you're glad that's all over! lol Congrats!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search