Kahlan Elizabeth's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2005 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2005, 06:01 AM
KahlansMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to KahlansMommy Send a message via AIM to KahlansMommy Send a message via Yahoo to KahlansMommy
I woke up at a little after 9 am on Wednesday October 26th. I had my 41 week midwife appt at 11:30 and I was thinking about asking the midwife if she would strip my membranes to get things going. We had already discussed breaking my water on Friday if I didn't have her before then. The phone rang around 9:20 and it was the midwife, Molly, asking if I wanted to come in early since she had a cancellation. I asked her if we could go ahead and break my water today instead of waiting for Friday. She said sure, to just skip my appointment and meet her at the hospital at 11:30 pm.

We got to the hospital around 11:45 and it took a while to get the registration completed. They finally hooked me up to the monitors around 1 pm. The midwife came in at 1:20 pm to break my water. She had a really hard time doing it since the baby's head was so low, she finally was able to break the water and she stripped the membranes while she was at it. She said she was going back to the office for her afternoon appointments and to have the nurses page her as soon as my contractions start. The nurses took me off the monitor so I could start walking to get contractions going. We walked around the halls for what seemed like forever. I had a few contractions here and there but nothing painful or regular. Every once in a while the nurses would hook me up to the monitors for 20 minutes to check the baby and see how the contractions were coming along.

The nurses started setting up the birthing pool around 3 pm. They got it filled up and the right temperature. It looked great, I couldn't wait to get in it while I was in labor. I still wasn't contracting though and eventually the water got cold, so they pumped some water out and left it about half full so they could refill it with hot water when the time came.

At this point we were all shocked that nothing had happened. I honestly thought that once my water broke, I would have the baby really fast since that's how it was with Gavin. I was also terrified that nothing would happen and I would have to have pitocin. I really didn't want that since it would mean an IV and that would mean no water birth. Pitocin also makes the contractions more painful and faster so it's harder to handle the pain naturally. Around 5 pm Molly showed up and was really surprised that I wasn't having contractions yet. We kept walking and nothing happened. I tried sitting on the birthing ball for a while and it didn't help. Finally around 7 pm Molly came in the room to talk. She said that since things were going so slow, I might want to consider pitocin. I was really hesitant to do it, but I didn't want to sit there all night waiting either. She said we could start it out really slow to see if it would just jumpstart the contractions and go from there. A few minutes later the nurse came in to start the IV and hook up the pitocin.

After being on the pitocin for almost an hour, the contractions finally started getting closer together and hurting a little. I was laying in bed and wasn't comfortable at all. I was having a hard time holding myself together. I just wanted to cry because nothing was going the way I wanted it to. I finally did start crying because my hips and legs were hurting so bad and I couldn't move since it messed up the monitors. My mom went out and got the nurse and she came in and had me move into the glider so I could be more comfortable. I had my first painful contraction at 8 pm. Kenny and my mom were getting ready to go to McDonalds to get dinner, I told them to hurry. They were gone for about 25 minutes and while they were gone the contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes and were starting to hurt a lot. They were still bearable, but very uncomfortable.

Molly came in and checked on me often, she would sit down and ask how I was feeling and watch me have a contraction to see how bad they were getting. She got me a heating pad for my back because it was starting to hurt during the contractions. Finally around 10:20 or so she came in and asked if I wanted her to check to see if I have dilated. I got on the bed and she checked and said I was still at 4 cm but I was completely effaced. I was shocked, the contractions were hurting really bad and I thought for sure that I would be dilated a little more. Molly didn't seem surprised though. She said that when I do start to dilate she has a feeling it will go extremely fast. As we were talking about it, the contractions changed and were much more painful. I think the change in my position, moving from the chair to the bed, along with the internal exam did something. Suddenly I could feel pressure, I could actually feel the baby's head pushing it's way down.

It was about 10:30, Molly stayed on the bed and kept talking to me. The contractions were getting closer together and lasting much longer. They were just coming in waves and were very painful, I started moaning with each contraction which made it easier to get through them. Molly was encouraging me to vocalize and to let my body push the baby out. I was laying on my right side facing my mom and Kenny was behind me. I don't remember much after this point, I tuned everything out and focused on the contractions and the pain. I remember asking them to turn the tv off. Kenny turned the music on and someone turned the lights off so it was pretty dark in there. Kenny was holding the heating pad against my lower back but that started making the pain worse so I asked him to stop and to rub my back instead. That felt good for a few contractions but suddenly it felt terrible so I yelled at him to stop. I started to feel an urge to push and told Molly, she just said to let me body do what it needed to do. I started to grunt during the contractions, I was in so much pain, I could feel the baby's head moving down and it burned so bad. My moaning got louder and I remember saying Oh no a few times when another contraction would come. They were so close that I didn't have time to recover from one before another would start.

At 11:00 pm I finally felt the urge to really push. I could feel the baby's head getting lower and lower, the burning pain was terrible. I started pushing with the contractions. I'm not sure how many times I had to push, but it wasn't more than a few. I could feel her head start to crown, the pain was so bad but I knew that it would be over with soon. I was pushing so hard to get her out and Molly told me to stop pushing and breathe through the contractions, the baby's head was right there and Molly was trying to keep my from tearing. When the next contraction started, I pushed and her head came out. It actually felt good, like a relief after all that pain. I was able to catch my breath before the next contraction came and I pushed the rest of her out. Molly put her up on my belly and commented on how little she is and that she looks to be about 6˝ lbs. She was born at 11:06 pm. I went from 4 cm to holding my baby in 35 minutes, it happened soooo fast and I didn't even tear at all ! Kenny cut the cord and then came to me as we looked at our new little baby. He started crying, it was so sweet. Kahlan didn't cry much at first, it was a very quiet, peaceful birth.

After holding her for a while we were getting anxious to find out how much she weighed hehe. The nurse took her to do her vitals and give her a bath and stuff. They brought the scale in also. She weighed 8 lbs 3.4 oz and was 21" long! The nurse was shocked because Kahlan looks so tiny. They did her vitals and she hated it! She threw a fit and cried the entire time. I got up to watch. I couldn't believe how good I felt, I got up and walked over to watch and I didn't hurt at all, I felt fine. The nurse finished up everything and I got back in bed to nurse Kahlan. Molly came in and said Kahlan must be filled with rocks because we can't figure out how she weighs so much lol.

I'm not sure what time we all went to bed, it was really late though. I didn't sleep much, I couldn't take my eyes off Kahlan. She is so perfect. She has thick dark hair and dark blue-gray eyes. Her skin is so soft and pink. She is so little and so perfect.

At 10:45 the next morning I was wheeled away to the operating room to get my tubal done. I was scared to death since I've never had surgery and really didn't know what to expect. They got me settled on the operating table and I woke up in the recovery room. What really sucks about all of this is that I would have been fine after having the baby, no pain or soreness, but now I am recovering from the surgery and it hurts!

Pictures are here: http://home.woh.rr.com/mullinex/kahlan/
November 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Congrats! What a cutie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search