Quick Q

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
*Fiona*
Kirsty is 6.5 months old. According to the guidelines on the formula tub, a baby of her age takes around 6-8oz per feed. Kirsty has just started taking a bottle - at the minute it's 50/50 BM/formula - but will only take a max of 4oz per feed. Is this ok though?

I'm not leaving her with anyone so if she only takes 4oz from a bottle but then looks for a BF I will let her. We are in the very early stages of supplementing - I want to get to a stage of where formula takes over BFing full time. But for now we are very slowly supplementing to get her used to a bottle and her tummy used to formula.

Obviously I don't know howmuch milk she takes from me per feed and if she wasn't satisfied she would soon let me know.
August 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
like you say hunny, if she wasnt getting enough you would know.
each baby is different. kara is only 6 weeks and she already takes 6-8oz of ebm or 4-6 or hungrier baby formula every 3 hours.
kirsty is having solids so that amount will reduce anyway.
just follow your instincts hun and if you get a little unsure, kirsty will soon tell you
xx

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
August 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The amounts on the formula can are guidelines and all babies are different so I wouldn't worry too much she probably won't drink as much from a bottle because she prefers to nurse so she will cut short of what she would normally drink because she doesn't enjoy it as much, or she may be going through a less-hungry patch between growth spurts.

How many feeds does she have per day? She may be eating little but more often, which would balance things out x

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

August 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
*Fiona*
She will usually have 4 feeds plus any nightfeeds (usually 1, but she seems to be starting (hopefully!!) sleeping through very slowly!)

She feeds approx 7am, 11:30am, 4pm and bedtime - for bedtime feed we have been doing 1/2 the feed before bath, finishing after her bath.
August 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds about right if she is having some solids as well in between now. I think it's best to go by her own appetite - she will soon let you know if she needs more x

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search