At my wits end...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I am absolutely ready to lose my mind. Its 3:20 am. I have been dealing with an inconsolable child who has been cluster feeding off me for 3 hours. I can't seem to get her to calm down and she does this every night. I can't keep up with the milk production she requires. If I pump, I can get about 8 oz. so obviously she is not starving. She is currently entering her 4th week of life.

I don't know what to do. I am so tired. I dread going to bed at night because i know that she will wake up sooner than I want to and the fight will ensue. She is a perfect angel all day but when the clock hits midnight she is beside herself until 6 am. I am to the point now where I hate breastfeeding. People say its supposed to get easier, but I don't see that happening. My nipples are overworked every night just trying to keep her sated while I try and get her to pass out again. Its this vicious cycle that I can't seem to stop or correct.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I am seriously on the verge of switching to formula despite the fact that I promised myself I wouldn't. I am just not sure how much more my breasts and my spirit can take of this night after night.
September 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
firstly
my daughter was the same for a while. she still is occasionally but when she starts raging at my breast i take her off and although she loves her bottle, she doesnt like the reduction in closeness we have with breast feeding.

to be honest, i know how hard it is to break a promise as i did it myself but it was when i got to feeling the way you describe that i gave in and give her a bottle of formula at night.
even if it is only for a couple of nights to give you a break so you can get a little sleep because believe me, you will feel a lot better and more able to deal with it after you get some!
xx

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
September 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Will giving a child formula while you are breastfeeding be detrimental? If not, then I am completely for supplementing the breast milk, especially at night, if she is just so hungry and I can't keep up. I think it would take a lot of stress off me and my family.

Thanks for responding. i know I am not the only one who deals with this stuff but some times I feel so alone.
September 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
lilredheadgirl's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to lilredheadgirl
Do you BF while laying down? At least if you cant sleep you would still be resting while feeding. As long as you are not stressed BFing is wonderful, but when you cant function because you are up all night it might not be the best for mom or baby anymore. And is LO actually eating everytime you put her to the breast? She may just want the closeness and security of having you there.

September 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
i felt exactly the same as you hun. i tried EVERYTHING to get baby to settle. i thought it was closeness she wanted but in the end it turned out she was just so hungry (although some occasions was just wanting to suck something!)
my health visitor actually advised me to try supplementing because i was ready to give up. we started on 1 bottle at night which really helped and now she has it mainly as a top up if she starts getting fussy while on the boob and then il just express when shes done to keep supply up. (i have a nice freezer stock now )
just one bf a day is beneficial to baby so supplementing is no bad thing at all.
the other thing my health visitor did was suggest a paci and i have to say, although i really didnt want to, that thing has been a life saver!
sometimes just a combination of things will help and others it just takes something to stop you stressing and getting upset to give everyone a more settled night
xx

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
September 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((((((hugs)))))) I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with the cluster feeding, honey. It can be really hard and so demanding and frustrating. Natasha went through the same thing. Giving her a bottle of formula at that time really helped.

To answer your question, breastfeeding is supply and demand so if you replace one breastfeed with a bottle then you will produce that amount less milk yourself. But if you are intending to ALWAYS supplement that one feed with a bottle then you won't miss that milk.

We all know that breast is best, but formula is not bad at all and supplementing has been a way for many of us who couldn't EBF for one reason or another to carry on breastfeeding for some of the time instead of switching totally to formula.

Please let us know how you get on and what you decide to try. ((((hugs))))

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search