couple of questions :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Hi! I am new the this bored but not to JM. I am Tara(24) mom to 3 great kids Dillan 3 years old, Chase 1 year old and Brianna 3 weeks old.
okay little back ground I have always had problems with nursing. I wanted to exclusivly breast feed my oldest but had alot of difficulty with it, he was a huge eater (I am talking 8oz of formula by a month old and no spitting up!) was on the boob for 20 min on each side every hour to hour and a half, he had a bad latch that we could not correct and I seemed to not be producing enough at all I had a lactition consultant help me but even she was worried about the amount I was producing, when I pumped I was barely getting half an ounce from each breast. So she recomended a mamograham to my doc and the results showed half my milk duct didn't even develop at all! So I made the decition to formula feed him, I nursed him for only 3 1/2 weeks. Then when my second son was born I really wanted to try again with the nursing even though I knew I wouldn't be producing enough and just supplement with formula after each feeding. It went well but he had the same appitite my oldest had, then my milk started to dry up so I switched to all formula, I made it 5 1/2 weeks with him. This time around I am trying again with the nursing and supplementing and really want to make it further I am hoping for 6 months but even 3 at this point would be great. Anyone have this same condition? Is there anyway to keep milk from drying up? Brianna is going though a growth spurt right now so she is non stop eating I will let her nurse for an hour on and off the boob (15 min on then she falls asleep for 10 then 15 min on then she falls asleep type thing) then I give her some formula, I have pumped and still get maby half an ounce to an ounce out of them. She usually only takes 1-2 oz of formula after the boob but today she took 3oz! I am worried she is has the appitite like her brothers and I am not gunna be able to nurse for much longer. Also is there any other methoods of helping with raw soere nipples?? I am usuing the lansinoh lanolin cream after every feeding now but they are still so sore!! She has a great latch so I don't think that is it maby sencitive skin? who thought breast feeding would be so hard!

sorry this was so long...

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

October 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I am sorry I do not have this problem, but from what I know the best recommendations would be to take some Fenugreek or even some Organic Mother's milk tea. Also drinking tons of water boosts up your milk supply. If you are trying to keep it from drying up. Fenugreek and Mother's tea can be found at your local GNC store.

Traditional Medicinals® Organic Mother's Milk - TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS - GNC

GNC - Search Results

Last edited by jennmommyoftwobeauties; October 10th, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
October 28th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Regular
Milk dries up when it is not being used. When the baby does not take all your milk, your breasts will make less and less until it is gone.

If you are supplementing without also pumping every time, you are telling your breasts that the baby does not need all that milk; so they make even less.
That's why it is very tricky to breastfeed and supplement at the same time without losing your milk.

In order to keep whatever supply you have, you need to make sure your breasts are stimulated whenever your baby gets a supplement.

You can do that in two ways:
1) Pump for 15-20 min every time baby gets a supplement. This is very time-consuming and frustrating bc you spend your whole day either breastfeeding, supplementing, or pumping.

2) Get a Lact-Aid or SNS. This is a bottle-and-tube system where the baby gets the formula through a tube taped to your nipple. It sounds ridiculous and it is really awkward but once you get it going it saves a lot of time over the pump-after-feeds system.

GL!!!!
November 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The other ladies offered great advice. It is tough with supplementing to maintain supply. In order to make it further you are going to have to probably pump to stimulate more. Don't assume that less ducts means you cannot nurse. MY BFF IRL was dx with the same thing...yet she is EBF her newest baby for over a year! Seriously - and she supplemented her other the entire time. Of course it can't always work the same - we are each different, but I can tell you for certain that pumping is in NO WAY an indication of how much you are making. LOTS of mommas that EBF can't pump an ounce...ever. My BFF is one of them. She has never pumped so much as a drip...no joke. I could pump, but never enough (while at work - hence how much supplementing came in) yet I could EBF on my days off no problem... It is likely very possible to make it to 6 mos. I would contact a local LLL and ask for help there first! GL!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Marlz.
I know Im a little late but congrats for bf for 2 months!
How is everything going for you bf now?

Take care
November 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Thank you soooo much for all your advice ladys!! it is going much better, I was pumping once a day for about 20 min each side when I gave her a bottle and that seemed to help my milk come in lots more! and her 2 month check-up proved it she is 14lbs 2oz and was weighed naked!! yay!
She hasn't had a bottle in nearly 2 weeks!!! yay! although I just found out yesterday my tubal surgery has been moved to Dec 2nd instead of being in Feb so hopfully she will take a bottle of breast milk then cause I can't nurse for at least 24 hours after. Thanx for the congrats! I still can't belive I am still nursing at 2 months I wish I would have known what to do when my boys where newborns...I really am confidant now on making my 6 month goal

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

November 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Organic oatmeal. That stuff works wonders.

Try the monster cookies, I think the recipe is posted in the bfing forum. I havent been there in awhile. They are soooo GOOD but horrible for the waistline

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search