How long?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
♥susan♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had to supplement an ounce of either pumped milk or formula after feedings due to Kylan not gaining enough weight. I was wondering if I will ever be able to EBF and get away from supplementing once his weight starts increasing. Any experience with this?
July 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Susan. I had to supplement too at the beginning because Drake lost more then a lb after coming home from the hospital due to his tongue tie. He started at 8lbs 8ozs at birth and after being home he went down to 7lbs 4ozs. I started adding about 1/2 oz to each feeding and he gained up to 7lbs 11ozs after a week. After that the Dr told me to continue supplementing but I stopped and after another week he was 8lbs 2 ozs. The Dr said he was doing good and he didnt have to come back til he was a month old for his month check up. That check up was July 6th and he weighed 8 lbs 11 ozs. So if you are feeding enough and feel he is eating well at the feedings talk to your Dr about stopping.
July 12th, 2010, 11:11 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I do not have personal experience with this, but I think that once you feel like he is gaining alright, then you can stop and see if he continues. You can always go back to supplementing if you need to.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.
July 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to supplement too right away b/c both mine lost weight. I was able to stop as soon as their weight increased.
Personally, I had to start again when I went back to work b/c I did not pump enough.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search