Just started supplementing

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran
I started supplementing my son's feeds with formula over the weekend, mainly because after 2 weeks he's not up to his birthweight and the community nurse is particularly worried.

Anyway, I guess I'm popping in here for a little support. It's not what I wanted to do this time around, I would have liked to have solely breastfed, and have used a bottle for EBM if needed. I'm still expressing and hoping to get meds to help increase my supply.

As easy as the bottle is, I'm not willing to solely formula feed and I hope to in the near future go back to exclusively breastfeeding.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

September 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! My daughter had issues with weight and I started supplementing but I didnt pump and quickly dried up Now I'm trying to get my milk back. :/ its not what I wanted this time around either after being so successful with EBF the first 2 times but I'm confident I can get my milk back! (i hope) Anyway maybe you could try More Milk Plus, I ordered it from amazon to boost supply. Its helped me a little and I've taken it only for a few days. Also fenugreek which should be at like gnc or walgreens, not mine though so I alsoordered it online and I'm waiting for it to come it. A third this is Reglan? This has to be prescribed by the doc though so I will be calling him tomorrow morning to see about it. I heard each of these will increase supply so maybe they will help you? Good luck!

September 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to give formula to help with weight gain in the beginning too. I hope you are able to continue your BF journey once your son gains weight.
September 6th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Veteran
Thanks. I breastfeed first during all feeds, and on the occasions that I don't breastfeed I express, so I don't think I'll have trouble keeping up what supply I have. I've got a prescription for Motilium which will help boost my supply.

Had bubs weighed today, and clothed he was 3970grams, which is his birthweight exactly. So I'm hoping that within a week or two once the Motilium has kicked in I may be able to do away with a few of the supplemented feeds. Right now he's taking 40mls of EBM or formula after a feed.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

September 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Let me know how the domperidone (motilium) works for you. I ordered some to boost my supply (I was EBF him until his 6 week growth spurt) but it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives. I hope you see results fast with it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search