prescription galactogogues

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Is anyone taking domperidone, reglan, or anything other prescription to help with milk production? If so, how is it working for you? How long do you plan to continue?

I have been taking domperidone for 2 weeks now and have seen a huge improvement in milk production. I still have to supplement but not as much or as often, lately he's been satisfied on BM only during night feeds. During the day when I pump I can usually get 3 oz every 2-3 hours when I was lucky to get 1 oz before the domperidone (and yes, I tried fenugreek, oatmeal, more water, everything OTC I could do before trying domperidone).

I'm not sure how long I will continue taking it. It's pricey and I don't want to be on it long term. At the minimum I will stick with it through 6 months, when he will start solids and not need as much BM. I think I'll play it by ear after that.

October 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I started domperidone recently as well. I think I am noticing a small difference, but not totally sure yet. I'll keep you updated.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Teresa, it's good to see you on here!

Yes please keep me posted on how it's working for you. I was able to EBF till 6 weeks, then he hit a growth spurt and my supply couldn't keep up. Right now I'm taking 120mg (it's a lot but that's the dosage recommended to women who've had surgery) and able to give him about 75-80% BM, which I'm happy about. I tried going down to 90mg this week to make my pills last longer but I noticed a difference, my breast wasn't feeling full after 2-3 hours like it did on 120mg. So as of today I'm upping it again. Everything I read says to give it a full 6 weeks to see max results but I hope it doesn't take that long for you!

October 16th, 2010, 12:55 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
I'd like to know more about this....

October 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi! Sorry I didn't post this sooner, it has been one crazy weekend around here! This link does a good job of explaining the risks and benefits of the drug.

Breastfeeding Online

Welcome to the board, it's good to see you here! Stick around and let me know if you have any other questions.

October 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I'm taking the max dosage and still struggling with my supply. I definitely have noticed an increase, but it took me almost 2 full weeks to tell a difference. I am also taking Goat's Rue. I am so frustrated. I have had supply problems with my kids before, but not this bad. I am still not up to full supply. I went the last two days without supplementing, but her weight didn't go up and today I am having to supplement again.

October 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry, that sounds really rough. Which max dosage are you referring to? I've read two different things, mostly I have seen 120mg recommended but there was one study that said 160mg. I'll see if I can dig it up for you. I

Are you working with an LC? Is she the one who's having you weigh Natalie, or is that something you're doing for your own peace of mind? How did you get through it with your other kiddos? Is anything different this time around (diet, etc)? Just trying to brainstorm a bit...

I've heard good things about goat's rue but haven't tried it yet myself. I also have heard of women responding well to something called shatavari. It's not indicated for use along with domperidone so you'd have to wean from that before trying it. I have a lot of links and info I'm trying to consolidate into stickies but I'll post some on it for you tonight or tomorrow.

October 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
I'm sorry, that sounds really rough. Which max dosage are you referring to? I've read two different things, mostly I have seen 120mg recommended but there was one study that said 160mg. I'll see if I can dig it up for you. I

Are you working with an LC? Is she the one who's having you weigh Natalie, or is that something you're doing for your own peace of mind? How did you get through it with your other kiddos? Is anything different this time around (diet, etc)? Just trying to brainstorm a bit...

I've heard good things about goat's rue but haven't tried it yet myself. I also have heard of women responding well to something called shatavari. It's not indicated for use along with domperidone so you'd have to wean from that before trying it. I have a lot of links and info I'm trying to consolidate into stickies but I'll post some on it for you tonight or tomorrow.
I'm not working with an LC any more. I didn't feel like they were doing diddly to help me with my supply. They were just telling me how much to supplement and she was pushing way more supplement than Natalie actually needs. She was basing her supplement amount off of one weigh-feed-weigh. I know from having a scale I make significantly more milk first thing in the morning and my late at night feedings too. Midday to late afternoon my supply tanks. They didn't open until 10am so most of my weigh ins were later in the day.

I am taking 160mg of domperidone. I tried shatavari before starting domperidone. It did nothing for me and it might have actually dropped my supply. I've read that some people it can drop it so I am staying away from that one.

As far as the scale goes, that was my own thing. I weigh her before and after most feeds so I can tally up her daily intake. It really helps me from being stingy with the formula. I think she'd be losing weight without it. It forces me to deal with my low milk supply. I have a love/hate relationship with this scale right now.

October 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah I hear you on the LC thing. Most of the time I hear how helpful they are but in certain circumstances not so much. The one I saw when Caleb was a week old did the same, saw he only took in an ounce and immediately told me to start supplementing after every feed. Uh...no. I was able to work on things myself and successfully EBF'd till he was 6 weeks old! Still my proudest accomplishment thus far.

That sucks about the shatavari, too bad it didn't work for you. I have been considering switching over to it myself because the side effects (headaches mostly) of the domperidone are starting to get to me. But at least if I do try it I'll have a heads up!

December 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Voodoo_Lady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been taking Domperidome for a few days now (only 10mg doses). I'm not sure it's really working but it may be too soon to tell. I'm really frustrated because I had zero breastfeeding problems with my son. I'm really hoping this works so I can get my little guy back on the breast before he gets too used to the bottle. I've been told eating regular and drinking lots of water helps....although I'm going through some depression and my appetite is crap.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search